Business Casual

by Kay~Kacey on 6/28/2005

This has no tie in to writing, unless you want to tie it into what to wear to conference :mrgreen: which is what got me started thinking about this.

Okay, I saw this in our local paper, but found it online here. Business casual is out. Who knew? When I worked my corporate job before my kids, women who wanted to get ahead wore suits. Nice suits. The occasional tailored blazer with slacks when the windchill hit below zero. I loved my suits. (hated panty hose, but that’s beside the point).

Now my college aged son got a summer internship at a company here in the city. They wear suits and ties at the main office. Everyday. Whether they are meeting with people or not. He’s a geeky engineer and works at their big computer center. They wear “business casual” there…which to them is dress slacks and a long sleeve button down shirt…without the tie.

I find this whole trend/ swing back towards more dressed up business attire in the work force fascinating. We were just commenting on how many more suits we saw at our local lunch place. My dh has always worn a shirt and tie to his business…never mind he’s a pediatric dentist and most of the time it’s under a lab coat. When I work his front desk it’s dresses or really nice slacks and a blazer.

I realize some areas of the country will always be more casual than others, but I do find this trend interesting. What are they wearing in your area? Has it gone to more formal business wear?

Mary June 28, 2005 at 8:07 am

I’m writing so much I never leave the house. I don’t know what to take to conference. What are you taking to conference?

Michelle June 28, 2005 at 8:27 am

Hard to say, since I work in a public school system. Mostly I wear nice pants and a blouse of some sort, or a sweater. I would die in a suit. But when I worked for a mortgage company, I wore suits every day. :coffee:

Rene June 28, 2005 at 9:43 am

When I worked for a large company M-Th was business casual: men wore Docker’s style pants and button-down shirts or polo style shirts. Women were pretty much stuck wearing dresses or nice pants. The engineers pretty much wore what they wanted, no one wanted to irritate the engineers. Friday was casual and you could wear jeans.

My hubby is a solo practcing lawyer and he wears a tie to work when he has clients or court. Yesterday he wore shorts and a tee shirt. He thinks the secretaries dress just fine, I think they could stand to dress a little more professionally. The one just turned 19. I doubt she has an concept of “professional.”

Kelly June 28, 2005 at 12:10 pm

Thankfully most of Nova Scotia is business casual now. I used to wear suits even when it was because I liked my suits but after I switched jobs and turned my priorities more towards my writing, the idea of putting on a suit makes me want to run for the nearest cave and not come back out. I shoved them all to the back of the closet. In the summer, I have some nice, summery skirts and shirts I wear but that’s about as dressy as I get. Once the colder weather hits, I’m all about the pants.

:coffee2:

Kelly =) June 28, 2005 at 1:34 pm

I have no idea since I don’t work right now, but slacks and a dress shirt/sweater were okay at the company I used work. And dress down on Fridays which we could sometimes wear jeans. I don’t usually see ties unless it’s the doctor’s office or a more formal business like a firm.

Steph T. June 28, 2005 at 2:55 pm

I’m also home now – so it’s sweats all the way. My husband’s company has been business casual for a while, unless he’s got to go out for meetings to places that aren’t casual. But most of the agencies he deals with are casual too.

I miss when he wore suits every day – there was so much LESS laundry.:cursing:

Tori June 28, 2005 at 2:58 pm

Well, this is one good thing about being on disability. :rofl:

Jill June 28, 2005 at 3:54 pm

All I know is that the dress here is sweats and t-shirts. :razz:

Amy K June 28, 2005 at 5:57 pm

I really have no idea. How sad is that? I guess my husband’s company just recently changed their policy from casual (jeans and shorts were okay) to “business casual,” which for him means dockers and a polo. They still have casual Fridays where they can wear jeans. I just assumed the powers that be were being jerks, but maybe it is a trend.

And on that note, now I REALLY don’t know what to wear in Reno. :confused:

kacey June 28, 2005 at 6:08 pm

This was the quote that got to me:

“Just 10 percent of Fortune 500 companies allow casual clothing in the workplace, according to an October 2004 survey by America’s Research Group, a consumer behavior and market research firm from Charleston, S.C. That compares with 30 to 50 percent just three years ago.”

Okay, not all companies are Fortune 500, but look at the decline in allowing casual clothes…in just 3 years…

Crystal* June 28, 2005 at 6:48 pm

Kacey,
It’s blue jeans and work shirts here. I have never seen ANYONE wear the whole suit thing. These people work the land. And if doesn’t work with that, forget it. And some of these people are very well-off.
VERY casual here.
Grins*

Suzanne June 28, 2005 at 7:29 pm

They’re usually wearing t-shirts and shorts at the Food Lion. Oh, wait, that’s me….

Bonnie Ferguson June 28, 2005 at 9:22 pm