Life in Focus-The Butterfly

by Kay~Kacey on 1/20/2008

The hidden butterfly
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. ~Albert Einstein

edited to add:
It’s been pointed out that this is a moth, not a butterfly. I had that very fleeting thought when I posted the pic. I’m obviously not much of a butterfly expert… Still love the shot though!

4/1/08 edited AGAIN to add: It’s now been pointed out this IS a Butterfly. Junonia coenia. A Buckeye Butterfly.

Suzanne January 20, 2008 at 12:16 pm

That’s a beautiful photo! Love how you’ve got the flickr pics set up, too!

Kacey January 20, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Thanks. I’m such a photonut. I love having the Flickr feed in the sidebar so I see them when I come to my site. gives me a chance to use some picks that I don’t use directly on my blog.

Letha January 23, 2008 at 10:38 am

I hate to be the one to tell you this but that is not a butterfly. It’s a moth. The reason I know is our local gardener just did an article on knowing the difference between a moth and butterfly. Sorry :cry:

Kacey January 23, 2008 at 10:52 am

letha, you know, when I posted that, I briefly wondered to myself if it might really be a moth. But somehow, I couldn’t see that “the moth” was a good title for my picture… :mrgreen: Will go edit the post and correct myself though.

Letha January 24, 2008 at 2:11 pm

I agree with you. It is still very beautiful! The title “Moth” does not sound as appealing as “Butterfly”.

annbb March 24, 2008 at 11:50 am

Kacey – Unless there’s a moth that mimics a Buckeye butterfly, you need to reedit your post again!

That’s a Buckeye butterfly you’ve photographed so splendidly photographed – beautiful aren’t they?
Go to: http://www.cirrusimage.com/butterfly_buckeye.htm or
to read all about it. (I love wikipedia – always try that first when I want to find out something, or as in this case, confirm that for once I know what the h*ll I’m talking about!)

Once again, great photographing!

cheerio!