The Difficult Amaryllis

by Kay~Kacey on 2/5/2008

amaryllis and snowWell, you all know by now that I’m a photography nut. I love to take pictures. But sometimes, a subject just refuses to be photographed exactly how I see in in my mind.
I have taken a million photos of this amaryllis. Okay, maybe not a million, but at least a half a bazillion. Thank goodness for digital photography.

I tried to get a pic with the flower and snow outside.

I tried getting a closeup.
amaryllis close up

I tried another close up. (well, about three thousand more closeups, to be honest).
flower close up

And one more. (read=one million more pictures)
amaryllis with snow background

I worked and photoshopped and, well, I’m sure I’ll take another trizillion pictures of this Amaryllis before it dies. I will not be defeated. The perfect shot will come to me. Are you ever obsessed consumed fixated on taking a photo of something and it just isn’t exactly right? Or if you aren’t a into photography, can you just come and give me some sympathy??

Kelly Boyce February 5, 2008 at 7:02 am

Those are beautiful pics!!
I’m getting obsessed with photography as well lately. I’m thinking of taking a digital photography course. I hope my pics turn out half as good as those.

Margery February 5, 2008 at 7:47 am

Georgeous pics, Kacey. They look perfect to me. I love taking photos, but I have no eye for composition. None of my photos ever turn out the way I want them to.

Amy February 5, 2008 at 7:48 am

Kacey,

I’m exposed (pardon the pun) to a lot of photography in our museum, and I can say, without a doubt, that those close-ups are museum quality shots! They actually remind me of Georgia O’Keefe’s paintings.

The vivid, blooming flower set against the background of snow reminds me that life can be found even on the darkest of days.

Suzanne February 5, 2008 at 8:09 am

I feel your pain. I get frustrated with close-ups especially. Your amaryllis is way ahead of mine!

Mental Pause Mama February 5, 2008 at 8:16 am

Those pictures are better than a S.A.D. light on a dreary winter day!

Country Girl February 5, 2008 at 11:32 am

To be honest, I don’t like the first photo. But I love love love all the rest. They’re excellent! You have inspired me. Actually, was going out after work today to the local florist to take some photos at home.

And you say mine are good? Ha! These are awesome!

~C.G.
Oh, I get to use another emoticon. Yay. :secret: (psst, psst, psst, that Kacy’s really good, isn’t she?)

Christine February 5, 2008 at 1:50 pm

Yes! Yes! Yes! I took about 400 photos of a windchime. The assignment for that particular week at Digital Photography School forums was “minimalism”. I had this perfect shot envisioned in my mind but just could never get it out of my camera. Even with GIMPing and Photoshopping, I just couldn’t get it like my mind saw it. :shakehead:

Thank goodness digital film is FREE!! :mrgreen:

Tori Lennox February 5, 2008 at 1:52 pm

Just to be contrary :rofl: I love the first photograph, but I’m not as crazy about the close-ups.

Misty Dawn February 5, 2008 at 10:35 pm

I can totally relate to what you are saying. Although, I have to tell you that I think the pics are great.
I also strongly agree to this – thank goodness for digital!

colleen February 6, 2008 at 9:26 am

You got the shot. Number 2. Whoo!

Melissa Marsh February 6, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Wow. I love them all!

dawn May 11, 2008 at 5:56 pm

this is great! i know just what you mean too!