From Organized to Chaos

by Kay~Kacey on 2/8/2008

Really, how did this happen? How did I get from that really valid attempt at organization to this? Can you even see an empty flat surface on this really nice big desk? I try so hard to keep it cleaned off. Really I do. I feel like such a failure. Someone only a mother could love. I should call my mother…
messy desk

Helpful Labels

• A – Junk food. Of no redeeming value. Within easy reach. My bad.
  • B – Camera case. Which the camera hasn’t been inside for, I don’t know. Forever. It’s always out. Usually in my hand. I could probably find a better place to keep the case, huh?
  • C – Really, REALLY cool converse sneakers my boys got me for Christmas. Only they are too big. And Zappos doesn’t have my size in them now. I check the website regularly to see if they’ve gotten my size in. But why is the box sitting smack dab in the middle of my desk? They are cool shoes though, huh? They are a crossword pattern. They have a real crossword puzzle on them. I :love: them. But I need them in my size. I’m about to give up and just get some solid pink ones.
  • D – Yarn winder. Well, that’s needed. If I could find the black yarn I was using, I could finish up the thumbs on some gloves I’m making for my friend… I know. You’re saying the yarn is probably buried somewhere on that desk. But I looked and didn’t find it!
  • E – Hand weights. Impressive right? Makes you think I exercise all the time when I’m in my office. :rofl:
  • F – Bottle of water. Okay, that’s good. I try and drink lots of water. Which is better than lots of wne. Which I’d probably just spill on my keyboard anyway.

lots of mess on my desk

How does this keep happening to me? Is it some kind of flaw in my moral makeup that prevents me from keeping my desk picked up? Do you have any idea how much time I waste trying to find stuff that disappears into the abyss that is my desk? So do you keep a clean desk? Always picked up and in order? If so I admire you and hate you. Help a girl out here. Do you have any great organizing tips? And how come I can keep my lovely spice rack organized but not my office?

Suzanne February 8, 2008 at 7:41 am

I gave up on my office for now… I’m just going to move into my new one and try again….

Mental Pause Mama February 8, 2008 at 8:40 am

Mine looks worse than that, so I would be no help. I actually found my Creat Whitestrips UNDER my desk yesterday. Oh, and Zappos, I love that place!

This Eclectic Life February 8, 2008 at 10:07 am

So, like, are the binoculars for watching your neighbors? :twisted: Why is it that this time of year seems to send some of us into a frenzy of “organization?” I’m suffering bouts of that, too. If you find answers…let me know. :rofl:

Kacey February 8, 2008 at 10:15 am

moving to a new office might work..though I’d hate to have to pack up all this mess!

MPM,–whitestrips UNDER your desk?? LOL.

This Eclectic…no, not watching neighbors :wink: they’re for bird watching.

Mental Pause Mama February 8, 2008 at 11:38 am

This is so funny. The Whitestrips? Still there. Just took a pic.

Christine February 8, 2008 at 1:14 pm

Ha! Kacey, you should join the organizing fun on my blog: I’m tackling the Home Office in March! :typing: My desk is absolutely horrifying! Wait until you see my photos!! :shakehead:

Country Girl February 8, 2008 at 2:10 pm

My desk at school is a mess. Much worse than your office there. Oh, the shame. :oops:

Tori Lennox February 8, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Desks are supposed to be clean?! Why did no one tell me this before?!

I adhere to old adage, “A clean desk is the sign of a disturbed mind.” :rofl:

FreeFromItAll February 8, 2008 at 3:13 pm

I do have pictures of my very clean office. I really do. I can e-mail them to you.

I’m an organized freak. And yes, I really do work in there. AND I have inventory (I sell on ebay) that is completely hidden. No one would know that is what I do.

I guess I could post them on my blog. I just don’t want a bunch of “wineonthekeyboard” haters.

You all decide. E-mail Kacey vs post on blog.

FreeFromItAll February 8, 2008 at 3:15 pm

Oh and I LOVE Zappos. Might I suggest a nice leather purse to go with your tennies?

Catherine February 8, 2008 at 5:33 pm

My hubby just cleared off our computer desk a few days ago and you can’t tell. Flat surfaces just attract piles of stuff – it is a proven fact and there’s no point struggling against it. (my opinion only, of course!)

Thanks for dropping by my little family blog and leaving a message. It was a lovely surprise. :grin:

Kacey February 8, 2008 at 6:20 pm

Christine! I saw all that organizing going on on your blog. It scares me. :wink:

Country Girl, yes, I’m so embarrassed for you. An messy desk.. :rofl:

FreeFromItAll !!! Post them on your blog!! For all the world to see. I promise we won’t be too rough on you. Probably… :cool2:

Catherine, I can’t remember how I stumbled upon your blog…but loved the whole rapids/river post.

LoryKC February 8, 2008 at 7:01 pm

Mine used to look quite like that! Now I share one with the hubbie, who is quite the neat freak. (What can I say? Opposites attract!) :roll: So mine is neat but doesn’t feel like me. If you really want organization though, it works. Share your desk with someone who is a bit obsessive-compulsive.

FreeFromItAll February 8, 2008 at 7:26 pm

Okay done! I swear if you flame me our office relationship is SO OVER! :mad2: :rofl:

Maria February 8, 2008 at 9:24 pm

Oh this is so much fun. The neat and the not so neat talking with each other. I like my office to be comfortable and it falls somewhere in the middle of messy and not so messy.

Good luck with straightening up. I love Flylady techniques, but old habits die slowly and I work at cleaning in maddening spurts followed by long periods of inactivity.

Kacey February 8, 2008 at 9:34 pm

FreeFromit All…that is SO impressive!!! I’m just amazed!

FreeFromItAll February 8, 2008 at 9:36 pm

*curtsey* You are very kind. And yes, I’m coming for a visit! How soon can I be there?