Things that Make Me Smile

by Kay~Kacey on 2/12/2008

New Orleans. One of my favorite places. We used to have a farm out of New Orleans. I just loved that place. Anyway, how does New Orleans tie into this post? I know you are wondering just that very thing!

So this week, I was visiting my oldest son. You saw his very clean desk. Well, look at this on top of his desk.
hurricane glass

Yes, a hurricane glass from Pat O’Briens in New Orleans. Why does that make me smile, you ask? Should a mother smile at her son’s drinking? Does that make me a bad mother? Am I a bad influence on him? Do I have ANY influence on him??

patobriens new orleans

Well, I guess I have SOME influence over him. Here we were in New Orleans this summer, having a great time! (2 of five boys, the ones over 21…oldest son on the right with the cap, next oldest the left.) Anyway, he carefully guarded that glass the rest of vacation. Considering the hubbub that was that entire trip, it’s a miracle the glass survived. Now it sits on his very clean desk. In his very clean and nicely decorated apartment. I think #2 son kept his glass too…I so should have kept mine. Though to be perfectly honesty here, I already have a few of them from other trips. :wink:

Christine February 12, 2008 at 3:46 am

what fun! I used to visit New Orleans back in 1992 and earlier. Family lives there and used to own a bar in uptown New Orleans. Great memories!

Amy February 12, 2008 at 7:35 am

I’ll bet you’re such a great mom. Our children grow up, as you and I well know; and we have to teach them responsibility in all matters, including the consumption of alcohol. It’s an odd thing the first time you imbibe with them, though, isn’t it?

Great photos!

Suzanne February 12, 2008 at 8:24 am

I think that’s wonderful. It’s so cool that they’re close with you!

The College Mama February 12, 2008 at 8:45 am

Maybe your son with the clean desk can teach my son with the very messy desk a thing or two. Do you rent him out?

Margery February 12, 2008 at 8:53 am

I fell in love with NO when I was there. I never got to Pat O’Brien’s though. Next time. #1 son looks so much like you!

Gabrielle February 12, 2008 at 10:31 am

This morning I was wishing I’d visited a friend before she got çhased out of NO by Katrina–we could have had a blast. I’ll get back there one day, it’s just a great town.

colleen February 12, 2008 at 10:48 am

You must have done something right for him to keep his desk so clean.

Nice to meet you face to face. Cheers!

Mental Pause Mama February 12, 2008 at 11:16 am

What a wonderful pic! Handsome baby boys…

Barb February 12, 2008 at 11:17 am

Oh my. I have vivid memories of Pat O’Briens from our visit to New Orleans in March 87. We enjoyed way too many hurricanes. (They taste just like Kool Aid, don’t you think?) I brought our glasses home with us and saved them for a long time.

Kacey February 12, 2008 at 11:29 am

Pat O’Briens sigh. Such good memories. There with SuperGuy out by the fountains. Once there with a bunch of writing friends during a conference. There with the boys the first time they’d ever gone. Fun place.

I love going to New Orleans. :love:

Melissa Marsh February 12, 2008 at 11:29 am

I am pretty sure I visited Pat O’Brien’s in New Orleans when I was there – in the French Quarter, right? And it had a delightful courtyard?

You have some very handsome boys! :mrgreen:

Country Girl February 12, 2008 at 11:30 am

So nice to see you and two of your sons! I’m close with my boys, too and it’s great.

You need to return and get another glass, eh?

Here’s a perfect smiley for that! :beer:

Tori Lennox February 12, 2008 at 3:19 pm

I’ve never been to New Orleans. The closest I ever got was a vacation trip through Baton Rouge and Lake Charles on our way to Houston. And I wasn’t old enough to drink even if we’d stopped off in NO. :beer:

Miz Booshay February 12, 2008 at 10:17 pm

Hi Kacey!
I am so happy to meet you!
What a wonderful picture of you and your boys (2)
I will have to look around a little bit more to see if you have any girls.

eb February 12, 2008 at 10:30 pm

all 3 of you make me smile!

xox – eb.

Kelly Parra February 13, 2008 at 1:27 am

Good looking boys, Kacey! Love the pic!

Misty Dawn February 15, 2008 at 12:25 am

You have a couple of very nice looking sons there! And one of them is clean and organized?????? Wow!!! Sounds like you are a great mom!