Freak Snow Storm

by Kay~Kacey on 2/19/2008

So yesterday we had this freak snow storm. I mean really freaky. The sun is out, and SuperGuy calls me on his way to work. “I’m driving through snow so thick I can’t see the road.” “Yeah, right” “Honest, and it’s headed your way.” So I’m wondering what he had in his coffee cup that morning because there is blue sky and sunshine out my office window.

Ten minutes later I look up and see what looks like a cloud of smoke advancing across the woods behind the house. The sun goes under. It turns dark. Then bam. This.
snow storm
I slowed down the shutter speed to try and catch the effect of the snow here.
snowy cardinals

But I was safely ensconced in my nice office.
snowy reflection ball

It maybe lasted 10 minutes. Tops. Got like 1/4 inch of snow in that time. Which is a lot for that short of time. They were calling it a snownado on the radio… :roll: Anyway, not soon after, the sun came out, the sky was blue with fluffy clouds. The sky actually looked like a summer’s day sky. Should have grabbed a pic of that! Anyway, it was one freaky snow storm!

BIG NEWS

Got your attention? Had lots of fun with the black and white challenge. I decided that I’m going to start a photo of the month challenge. It will work like this. By the last day of each month, send me a link to the post that has your best photo shot of the month. You can use the Contact button at the top of my web page, or email me using my email address from a comment on your blog. Put photo of the month in the subject line.

On the last day of the month, I’ll post the photos here if you don’t mind me swiping them from your blog post. (I might have to resize them to fit my blog, but I won’t crop them or anything) I think this will be fun. We’ll get to see some great pics we might have missed during the month. You can tell me why you picked that photo and I’ll put that here too. If you have more than one photo on a post, make sure to tell me which one you liked the best. So start looking through your pics! I’ll remind you guys during the last week of the month. Anyone up for this?

edited to add: Name your photo too!

Tori Lennox February 19, 2008 at 10:57 am

Freaky weather! Love the pictures, though. :)

Great idea for the photo of the month! Must get new scanner…

Kacey February 19, 2008 at 11:17 am

Tori, we need to get you a nice digital camera…it’s a necessity in life. Honest! :razz:

Maria February 19, 2008 at 11:36 am

Hi! LOVE the black and white photos by the way….found my way here after you commented on MY blog…and realize you and Suzanne are two peas in the pod at Dandelion Blog. How come I’ve never ventured your way before? Blog surfing is amazing. At any rate, I love your bangs from childhood. Crooked is cool. And my husband promises to take me to New Orleans someday but never has. We don’t like traffic.

Love the idea of Boomer Bloggers.

I’ll be back!!

Christine February 19, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Weather sure is wacky these days. Love the cardinal. He doesn’t seem affected! LOL

I’m up to the photo of the month. Picking my favorite would be hard, though.

You know your B&W Challenge? I’m *still* trying to do it. I was up till 5am last night. :roll:

Tracey February 19, 2008 at 2:05 pm

I’m in! Remind me towards the end of the month!!

Country Girl February 19, 2008 at 2:10 pm

I’m in, too. You may have to remind me. Sometimes I have the brain of a seive.

~C.G. :oops:

The College Mama February 19, 2008 at 2:51 pm

Love the picture of the Cardinal! And, the photo contest is a great idea!!

Tori Lennox February 19, 2008 at 2:54 pm

I have a digital camera but I don’t seem to take very good pictures with it. But I have tons of old pictures that look fabulous (if I do say so myself).

Suzanne February 19, 2008 at 2:59 pm

Wow, that WAS a weird storm! We had one kinda like that this morning, too. Then it all melted off and it’s like it never happened!

Barb February 19, 2008 at 3:35 pm

This sounds like a great idea. Nice incentive to get creative with my pics.

dlyn February 19, 2008 at 8:20 pm

Can just anyone wander into your blog and play along?

Maggie February 19, 2008 at 8:39 pm

I LOVE the shot of the cardinal in the snow – it’s gorgeous!

I can’t wait to see the great shots that you have at the end of the month!

Mental Pause Mama February 19, 2008 at 11:10 pm

Those cardinals are beautiful. They are plentiful in my yard, too this winter…and on a perch feeder all the time which is not normal for them. I absolutely love them.

Kacey February 19, 2008 at 11:13 pm

Maria…yeah, I’m still trying to convince myself that crooked bangs are cool… ; )! Glad you hopped by!

Dlyn! Welcome to wineonthekeyboard! yes, anyone can play here at any of the challenges. Please feel free to submit your favorite photo of the month.

Yes, I will remind everyone as the month winds up, don’t worry!

Maggie, you have such a cute blog name!!

Christine, I’m still sorry I kept you up all night. Kind of… :wink:

Tiffany Colter February 19, 2008 at 11:52 pm

I came over to thank you for your compliment on my Jan 1 blog that was in the blog carnival.

However, what a great post. My dad was an architectural photographer for 25+yrs. Your photo with the cardinals was BEAUTIFUL. I live just outside Toledo, OH so I haven’t seen the sun much at all for about…..I don’t know….my whole life. Laugh!!

Thanks so much. I enjoyed your post, comment, and pictures.

Misty Dawn February 20, 2008 at 12:13 am

I am so sick of Winter storms, I can’t even begin to tell ya

Misty Dawn February 20, 2008 at 12:16 am

Oh, sorry – in all my frustrations with Winter, I forgot to mention that I would love to join in your ‘photo of the month’

Amy February 20, 2008 at 8:52 am

Can I cocoon at your house, taking in the snow and some good coffee?