Toasted Cheese Bread Panini Style

by Kay~Kacey on 2/21/2008

I love toasted cheese bread. I love my panini grill. So, of course the two had to learn to get along. Here is my secret recipe for making the best toasted cheese bread on a panini grill. I let you in on a lot of my secrets, don’t I? I’m thoughtful like that.

First you take slices of sour dough bread. I keep it in the freezer and just pull out however many slices I need. No need to defrost. You also need cheese. I’m using baby swiss here because it’s the best cheese in the world for these. Trust me. Have I steered you wrong yet?
sour dough bread and baby swiss cheese

Then you need butter and mayo. Real mayo. Hellmann’s. None of that fake stuff. None of that light stuff. And don’t go trying to sneak in any of that margarine either. Real butter. (and if you use it out of adorable antique butter dishes, so much the better).
butter and mayo
Butter one side of the bread, put mayo on the other. And as a total aside, do you know how hard it is to butter on side, mayo the other, hold a camera in one hand–in low light–and get a clear shot? Well, trust me, you don’t want to find out. As another aside, when you get butter on a camera it gets all slippery…I’m just saying. Not that I’d know that for sure.
amazing trick of photography
Then you put it on the panini grill, buttered side down, and set the cheese on the bread. Careful! It’s hot! Don’t burn yourself.

on the grill
Close the grill. Tap foot impatiently. Wait some more.

panini grill
In a couple of minutes you have this. With nice crunchy cheese on top. Why the cheese doesn’t stick to the top of the grill is one of the great mysteries of life. But it doesn’t it you just give it some time to get crunchy and yummy.
grilled cheese bread

Notice as the cooking progresses the pictures get less sharp. Now while I’m going to blame it on the low light in the kitchen and not my impatience on getting these last few shots and getting to the eating part…you can decide which theory you want to believe. But have I lied to you yet?? Okay, altered reality a bit… But why let facts get in the way of a good story?
fritos and toasted cheese bread

And if you happen to be craving salt–possibly a hold over from last night’s margarita binge, well serve with a side of fritos.

We panini everything. Everything tastes better on a panini. Do you have a panini grill, and if not, why not? Love mine. Gonna take it on a hot date and jump in the back seat with it. :love:

And to any of the males in the family, if you’re reading this, don’t forget to unplug the panini grill when you’re done. (and don’t talk on the cell phone when you’re driving, and the knives don’t go in the dishwasher…)

Michelle Willingham February 21, 2008 at 6:06 am

Sounds yummy! I don’t have a panini grill, but I may have to get one. So the cheese doesn’t stick to the top?

Mental Pause Mama February 21, 2008 at 7:53 am

Oh. Dear. Lord. I am going on vacation in 3 days, and you do this??? And with fritos no less?? :shock:

Amy February 21, 2008 at 7:55 am

A panini grill will make an excellent present for someone. This dish looks yummy! Good advice there at the end, too, Kacey (re: cell phones and knives)!

Suzanne February 21, 2008 at 8:04 am

I need a panini grill!

Christine February 21, 2008 at 11:48 am

Looks good!!! I don’t have a panini grill because I never of one until now! :shakehead:

OK… I’ll bite… why don’t you put knives in the dishwasher?

Tori Lennox February 21, 2008 at 1:42 pm

What IS a panini, anyway? I’d never heard of them until just recently and now they’re everywhere! Yours looks–and sounds–absolutely yummy!!!

Miz Booshay February 21, 2008 at 1:58 pm

That looks amazing!!!

Kacey February 21, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Panini is a kind of sandwich. Kind of a grilled, smashed sandwich. Very yummy. Crunchy. Wonderful.

Christine…the good Henckel knives don’t go in the dishwasher. I don’t know why though. Dulls them?

Now that guys have heard of a panini grill, you want one. Trust me. :love:

Barb February 21, 2008 at 5:27 pm

This looks really, really good. I’ll have to consider getting a panini grill. Is there a brand you’d recommend or are they pretty much all the same?

LoryKC February 21, 2008 at 5:33 pm

I do not have a panini grill but clearly, I need one!

Kate February 21, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Mmmmm. Panini.

(Said in Homer Simpson voice.)

Kacey February 23, 2008 at 9:55 am

Hey, I looked, and it’s a GE panini grill. I think I got it at Walmart.

Tug September 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm

OK, so I tried this tonight.

Without a panini grill. (I need to get one)

With Miracle Whip light.

and diet butter.

and smoked fontina cheese.

Broiler on.

(use what you’ve got so you don’t have to go to the store is my motto)

Still? NUMMERS.

(Panini grill is on my shopping list)

superguy October 20, 2008 at 5:03 pm

The cheese does stick at first but with patience it will release the oils within and come free. The predecessors to this panini maker were done in a fry pan waiting for the bubbling of the cheese placed directly in the pan to quit and the edges to come free without sticking to the spatula. The bread was placed later and flipped to fry the butter.