Herb Garden

by Kay~Kacey on 3/6/2008

Well, herb garden…almost…

herb pots

So what does any normal woman do when she’s snowed under a foot of snow? Well, plan her herb garden, of course! Well, except I can’t have a real garden. We have no sun in our backyard in the summer. A bit on the back deck, so I’m confined to container gardening. I do love to grow my herbs though. Basil. Mint for mojitos. :mrgreen: Chives. Oregano. I try just about anything and everything. I think I’ll try catnip this year. Always nice to annoy the Black Beasts. They went NUTS over the new scratching post with catnip we got them…

That’s one thing I miss about our farm out of New Orleans. We had one big, bad garden. Huge. Miss it terribly. But I get by with my container herbs. And we don’t have hurricanes here in the midwest…

We’re going to start the herbs from seeds inside this year. I’m just not banking on an early spring, you know?
herb garden under snow

As a total aside, well, not total. Just a bit aside. I really need to find a better paint to use for painting these clay pots. They looked so nice and colorful when I first painted them. You know how I love splashes of color! But now the paint is mostly peeled off. They look kind of worn and tired. (can clay pots look tired??)

So go ahead. Tell me. Do you have a wonderful garden? Full of vegetables and herbs and flowers? Let me be jealous. I’ll deal with it. I think. Do you grow herbs, and what ones are your favorites?

Michelle Willingham March 6, 2008 at 5:06 am

I grow thyme for when I cook poultry and there’s nothing in the world like the fresh scent of thyme while you’re cooking. mmmm…. :love:

Sadly, I tend to kill it off about once a week, too.

Michelle Willingham March 6, 2008 at 5:06 am

Er, that would be once a YEAR. Sorry. Baby woke me up at 4:00 a.m. and I’m still up. :crazy2:

Suzanne March 6, 2008 at 8:01 am

I’m gonna have a big garden this year!

chanda March 6, 2008 at 8:16 am

I have to envy your container garden, and your snow for that matter. I’ve got the yard and the sunny spots for a great garden, I;ve also been cursed with a big ol black thumb.

Im going to try one more time this spring, but I have to invest in a rain barrel. We are under extreme water restrictions around here, and garden watering is a no no.

When I do successfully grow things, I like basil, lavander, mint, and rosemary.

Mental Pause Mama March 6, 2008 at 9:14 am

Ohhh, I’ve already been ordering seeds and plants. We have had one of the mildest winters in memory here in southern New England…so weird this weather. I love basil, but now, I think I will plant more herbs, too. And I love a worn clay pot. Some people pay top dollar for those babies! We have a lot of shade, too. I ordered a giant black hosta…like 7 feet tall…will keep you posted!

colleen March 6, 2008 at 9:55 am

I have a “Back to the Garden” archive category on my sidebar, so that should tell you something. Gardening is a big part of my life. But every year at this time the task feels overwhelming to start again.

There’s been a discussion on the word rigmarole which I changed to the rigamarole because that’s how I say it too.

Christine March 6, 2008 at 11:07 am

I’m a wannabe gardener. But every year, my garden dies. And every year, I try again. Maybe this year it will live?

I like how you texturized that last photo!! :coffee2:

Kacey March 6, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Christine, though I’ve been learning about texturizing my pics, I haven’t actually tried it. That photo is shot from inside, with a screen in the window. I liked how the screen faintly showed up. I couldn’t open the door to get outside to take the shot. Too much snow!

Colleen, must hop back to your blog and see the rigamarole discussion! (my Mac wants to use rigmarole!)

MPM- ooh, can’t wait to see pics of that Hosta!

Chanda, lavender! I have tons of that growing outside in the front! Smells so great.

Michelle. Thyme. Yes, I do thyme too. I love growing herbs!

Tori Lennox March 6, 2008 at 1:06 pm

Mom’s the gardener in our family. I keep thinking it would be fun to have an herb garden, though. She doesn’t do that.

Country Girl March 6, 2008 at 3:27 pm

My husband is the gardener. I help with weed control and the harvesting/washing of the vegetables. He gives a lot of them away to the other farm help and I have two friends who own restaurants so they get lettuce, tomatoes, peppers.

We do grow oregano and basil and rosemary. I love rosemary.

This year, I want to try cilantro. I love pico de gallo and plan on making lots of it.

Jeannelle March 6, 2008 at 3:49 pm

I used to do the big garden thing, but now its down to pumpkins, tomatos, peppers.

Christine March 6, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Looks awesome! :D

Tracey March 6, 2008 at 8:04 pm

I happen to love the worn look for the pots. Gives them character! I only have an ornamental garden right now but hope to have a vege garden soon.

tommie March 6, 2008 at 10:18 pm

We plant a ‘pizza garden’ every year: tomatoes, bell peppers, basil, all kinds of herbs.

May sunshine melt all that snow quickly so the gardening can commence!

Cheryl St.John March 7, 2008 at 10:30 am

It’s 2 degrees in Nebraska this morning, so it’s still winter here, too. I am dreaming of my Spring flowers. I have tried everything to contain my mint, but it’s out of control. I did plant it at the corner of the house, away from other plants, because I knew it would spread, but holy cow. I can mow it and it comes back. I can dig it out and it comes back. It’s the terminator of plants. So every year, Spring and Fall, I dig up pots of it and give it away on freecycle.