I Do Not Understand Males

by Kay~Kacey on 3/11/2008

Really, I try, but I just don’t understand them. For instance. Take XBox. How can they spend hours and hours playing a video game?
xbox call of duty
Now, the neat thing is our five boys play it over the internet. They all get together on the same “team” or “gang” or something like that. They seem to know which player is which. How can they tell?? They look the same to me! :shock: So we have 5 sons in different towns all playing the game at the same time. Together. Yes, this boggles me. xbox headset
They talk to each other over their headsets. This handsome boy, The Impish One, the only one at home now, is busy concentrating on the game. And he’ll thank me later for the tricks I learned in photoshop to smooth out his skin and take out the remainder of a black eye. Don’t ask. It’s a sad fact that with 5 boys a black eye barely gets a nod from me anymore. But I digress.
xbox controller with headset
I’m not sure what all these buttons do, but they push around on them and shoot things. (I’m sure a better mother would be appalled.) They laugh. They call each other names. They help each other get the other team.

They find out a whole lot about their brothers because they talk to each other the whole time they are playing! Then The Impish One will drop tiny remarks the next morning like “The Photography One has a big test today.” And I’m thinking, so why was he up playing on the Xbox?? Or “The Geeky One got a raise at work.” I mean, I would SO not know what is going on in their lives if not for the Xbox chatter!

It concerns me a bit that next year I won’t have any xbox players left at home. So how the heck am I going to get the inside scoop on them??? Somehow they seem to filter things they tell me, or just forget to say anything when I call and email.

Well, SuperGuy plays Xbox sometimes. But the boys say he sucks :mrgreen: I’m not sure they’ll be inviting him to be on their team.
text messaging
I’ll say this for The Impish One. He can grab a text message, read it, send one back, and not miss a beat on his Xbox game! Is that a good life skill to have??? :cool2:

enjoying the xbox game
They have so much fun doing this. I’ll be standing in the kitchen and can hear The Impish One laughing out loud while he’s playing. Always brings a smile to my face. They invite their friends. They have whole gaggles of teens and twenty something males all playing together. Who knew this would become a kind of community system.

Hm…the XBox Community…the Bloggging community. So similar and so different. Ways to connect with others.

I still don’t get the whole XBox thing. It makes me kind of dizzy to even watch the screen. I do play a mean round of boxing on Wii though!

FreeFromItAll (Darla) March 11, 2008 at 6:01 am

I’m with you, I don’t understand ‘em either and I sure am glad I don’t have to. :rofl:

Suzanne March 11, 2008 at 8:46 am

I saw a thing on the news a while back about how they are using Wii’s in retirement centers. They play golf or bowling or something. Keeps them active!

colleen March 11, 2008 at 9:31 am

I only understood my sons’ intense interest in game boy and play stations when I started blogging and saw how long I could spend on the computer. He is cute. And no doubt talented at what he does.

Country Girl March 11, 2008 at 10:00 am

I don’t see anything wrong with it unless it starts to interfere with their schooling or something else that’s important. It is so fun playing video games and you have to be quick. Your reaction time is paramount! And it sounds like a good way for them to keep in touch. He reminds me so much of my youngest, who’s 21 now. Cute kid! Savor this time while he’s still at home.

WillThink4Wine March 11, 2008 at 10:36 am

Technology, including blogging :wink:, has changed they way we humans interact! I use to play Nintendo about a million years ago. I played Super Mario Brothers until I could go through all the levels without warping and not losing any lives. Oh yes, I inpired my young nephew! He wrote me a Thank You note for his High School graduation, which he wrote ” Thanks to my cool aunt, who kicked Super Mario’s butt!” He was about 8 when he saw me do that. He’s still a video game freak, and he’s 29 years old now!

Rene March 11, 2008 at 10:50 am

My son is that way with World of Warcraft. He keeps in touch with his friends although he sees them all day at school. He does have a couple of friends he talks to on WoW that moved to other schools.

You’ll have to get on the Xbox next year. We have a Wii and believe me, it is very easy to lose yourself in a game.

Why is your son wearing a hood in the house?

BTW, love StumbleUpon.

annbb March 11, 2008 at 11:27 am

“I’m not sure what all these buttons do, but they push around on them and shoot things. (I’m sure a better mother would be appalled.) ”

My son and friends play Assassin’s Creed….yep they play assassinators. I soothe my guilty soul by telling myself that they’re learning from it…..this game take place in 1191 during the Crusades and the developers swear all the historical facts are accurate….so they’re learning….OK?!?!?!?!?!

Suzanne’s right about senior citizens and the Wii. There was just a big article in our local paper. Just google “senior citizens using the Wii” you’ll be amazed!

Here’s to our amaryli, Kacey!

Melissa Marsh March 11, 2008 at 12:44 pm

I used to play Nintendo and Super Nintendo, but I haven’t done much on the Playstation and Game Cube (oh, except for the Mario Bros. Racing game). Heck, when I was a kid, we got the Odyssey game system – talk about old! Graphics were in the stone age then!

Tori Lennox March 11, 2008 at 1:12 pm

I’m sure a better mother would be appalled.

Maybe so, but they’re not nearly as cool as you are. :smile:

Amy March 11, 2008 at 8:33 pm

The XBox and blogging communities ARE similar, aren’t they? I’m glad we connected (I love the recipes you share)!

I’ve raised two sons who love XBox, and I don’t get it either … or text messaging!

BeachMama March 11, 2008 at 9:04 pm

I have trouble with the games too, but if it meant keeping in touch with the kids, I would sure try hard, even if it was just for a few minutes here and there :).

Maria March 11, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Poor me, I have been left totally behind in the video game area.  Five boys!  That should qualify you for some special award.  My best friend has four and I always marvel at her ability to handle four teen-agers.Now, I raised two boys and when they left home for college and/or work, I was left with two dogs.  Every night I would let the dogs out for a quick backyard run and they would run, come back and be ready for bed.  I used to think “You guys are wonderful.  I always know where you are and when you will return. and beside you never argue with me.”  Still it was at that point that I missed my sons the most and wished they were back home.

Misty Dawn March 13, 2008 at 12:12 pm

I like how you compare the xbox community and the blogging community – I was thinking the same thing.

sweetsalty kate April 21, 2008 at 7:49 pm

Great captures! :)

Joshua Belcher May 27, 2014 at 6:14 pm

“How can they spend hours and hours playing a video game”

Shot in the dark, but I’d say it’s because they like playing video games…

-__-