Still Life Challenge Results

by Kay~Kacey on 3/17/2008

teacup and orchidWell, I learned a lot with this challenge. About photography, about myself. Like I learned I love to mess with the light and the way it hits objects. Setting up the objects to look nice, not so much. Here are some of my many attempts. Not any that I would really call a keeper.
teacup and paperweights
This one wasn’t quite right. I kept messing with the sunlight coming through the window, but couldn’t pull off what I had planned in my mind. You know, kind of like when you try and pull off the perfect dinner party, but you burn part of the food? Not that that would have happened to me. More than once.
orchid and glassesYes, I tried on this one too. I thought with the lighting coming in the dining room window, I could get this one. But I struggled with my tripod (that I am SO replacing as soon as I can.) I just couldn’t make it behave. Not even when I gave it the “you better settle down RIGHT now” mom look.
teacup and shadow

This one is probably my favorite, but I’m not really sure I’d call it a still life. :roll:

Now, we’re going to test out the new polling feature I worked on, so we can use it on the photo of the month contest for March. Which of Kacey’s Photo’s is a keeper?

Which Pic is a Keeper?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Here are the other entries in the still life challenge. All of which are better than mine.

Here is one from Mary. I want to be her when I grow up!

Here is a post from Ann at The Tombstone Chronicler. She said this one isn’t still for long! :rofl:

WillThink4Wine March 17, 2008 at 6:46 am

LOL, we apparently also share a love of Orchids, too!

You know what I liked best about the Wine and the Orchid photo? The Wine and the Orchid, silly!

At the risk of going overboard, I am also a lover of tea. Real tea, steeped tea. One of the few things Mr. X and I had in common.

Hillbilly2 March 17, 2008 at 7:48 am

They are all great pics! Keep trying, you’ll get that perfect pic! :coffee2:

Tori Lennox March 17, 2008 at 10:10 am

I like the wine bottle, glasses, and orchid best. It looks very professional!

Mental Pause Mama March 17, 2008 at 10:12 am

I am partial to the cup and saucer one…

Mary March 17, 2008 at 11:00 am

Oooh, I love the cup and saucer, probably because I’m a dish-a-holic. But the lighting in the cup and orchid is fantastic!
xoxo,
Mary

Melissa Marsh March 17, 2008 at 4:08 pm

I do love the shadows playing on the cup and saucer – plus it’s a GORGEOUS cup and saucer!

This reminds me…I saw an ad in the weekend paper for a digital camera at a price I could afford!

Kacey March 17, 2008 at 5:52 pm

I love the cup and saucer too. It’s my favorite. I inherited quite a few cups and saucers from my grandmother. I love them!

Melissa, OH! An affordable camera, all the better!

ellen b March 17, 2008 at 6:03 pm

I love your photography. I think the tea cup with paper weights is worthy of a contest!

Kate March 17, 2008 at 6:51 pm

Kacey, I can never find a photo when I’m looking for it. I’ve never been good at photo hunts, so sorry I didn’t take you up on this contest. I will try to be better. It’s just so difficult to change.

I voted for the last photo but I also really like the teacup with the paperweights. They’re all really lovely.

My tripod doesn’t cooperate with me and a lot of times, I just end up cropping the photo in Photoshop and then turning it ever so slightly to line it up. Maybe it’s lazy. But I hate fighting with the tripod.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life March 18, 2008 at 1:15 am

I am the only one who chose “teacup and orchid?” I thought it was lovely.

FreeFromItAll (Darla) March 18, 2008 at 8:18 pm

OMG I snorted when I read your comment: Not even when I gave it the “you better settle down RIGHT now” mom look.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: