Next Time I Get to be the Male

by Kay~Kacey on 3/21/2008

So, we’re getting ready to take two of our boys on spring break. South. Warm. Sunshine. Why only two? Because, of course they don’t all have the same week off. This year will be the last spring break for our oldest two…they’ll be off in the real world next spring. So SuperGuy and I are taking them, and their two girlfriends to the beach.

map for trip

So I plan the trip. Find a place to rent…which wasn’t easy because we waited until fairly last minute to decide to do this road trip. I get maps, trip-tiks, etc.

towels and beach blanket

I find beach towels and the old bedspread we use for a beach blanket whenever we go to the beach. For the record, that brown bedspread? It was so not mine. It was SuperGuy’s. Ugly. Very Ugly. Good for a beach blanket though.

packing more things

I pack the toiletries. You know, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, suntan lotion…bandaids, advil, neosporin, antacids, aspirin, baby powder (okay, okay, I always over do it JUST a bit here)

laundry basket

I do the laundry…with the Black Beasts being ever so helpful with this chore… :roll:

floral laptop case

I pack up my macbook, because a girl has to do her blogging, don’t you know. As an aside, we are a terribly geeky family. We bring a router with us on vacation. We’ll probably have 3 laptops with us. We don’t like to share one connection. Sick, isn’t it? I told you we were geeky.

As another total aside, don’t you LOVE my laptop case? My best friend gave it to me. I think it makes a statement. And, of course, it’s pink. :love:

Okay, back to the story. I go to the bank, get cash, do a Walmart run, pay bills, pack kitchen stuff we’ll need, set up a house sitter/pet sitter. Warn neighbors that there better not be any parties at my house when I’m gone “here’s my cell number” !! :shock:

half a suitcase

And SuperGuy?? He packs. Half a suitcase. For a week. And he’s all ready to go. :roll:

I tell ya, next trip I get to be the male!! (Well, maybe not the just bringing half a suitcase thing!)

Amy March 21, 2008 at 6:58 am

Have a GREAT trip! You are so right about the male thing. My son went to he Bahamas in November and pretty much rolled out of bed, brushed his teeth, packed in a large backpack, and headed to the airport.

Me? I would have begun the packing process a week ahead of time, along with lining up pet sitters, canceling the newspaper, etc. We women tend to do way too much. I think it’s time for me to reread “Gift From the Sea!”

Mental Pause Mama March 21, 2008 at 7:13 am

Hrrmph. Men. Travel safely and have fun! Take lots of your wonderful pictures, too, please. I need a vicarious vacation. :beer:

Treasia March 21, 2008 at 8:35 am

Enjoy your trip to the fullest. It sounds like a wonderful vacation for your kids.

It always amazes me how little a man has to have really. I pack the house every time we leave it. :lol:

Hillbilly2 March 21, 2008 at 9:46 am

If we don’t pack all that stuff. We’ll just have to go shopping for it when we get there. Hmmm, that’s an idea. :idea:
Have fun! Have a little extra for me and the others, too!

WillThink4Wine March 21, 2008 at 10:19 am

Laptop, check. Cat-sitter, check, Kitchen suff (including coffee pot), check, sunscreen, check. Wine, check. Camera, check. I have no SuperGuy, Rats.

Thanks so much for your kind words yesterday. It is very difficult for my parents. Dad is 79 and MotherDear is 73. They’ve both had minor heart attacks and MotherDear has also had a minor stroke in the past. They are too distraught and frail to make the trip up for what will certainly be an emotional family gathering, so they have decided to stay home and not attend the funeral. Very, very tough.

Maria March 21, 2008 at 10:32 am

You had me laughing and laughing almost until the tears came. It is the same thing at our house. Whether it is an RV trip or a vacation adventure, I do all the work. When Bob and I married, he was surprised to hear that I was not packing his bag as well as mine. It seems he was used to this during his marriage of 47 year.s

Mary March 21, 2008 at 1:59 pm

I don’t know.. if you had that Y chromosome, you might be able to make do with half a suitcase, but you would also be stuck with that ugly brown bedspread. Is it worth the tradeoff? On the other hand, you could pee standing up…I’d give it some thought if I were you. :)
Enjoy your week!
xoxo,
Mary

Tori Lennox March 21, 2008 at 2:23 pm

Your trip sounds like it’ll be loads of fun! And I love your laptop case! I want a pink laptop case!!!

Kate March 22, 2008 at 7:08 am

Hey, good post. I’d love to be able to put the words and the pictures exactly where I want them in my blog, but Blogger is the devil sometimes. Or maybe it’s just the template I chose.
Oh, and I love your laptop case. And I’m jealous you’re going to the beach! I love the beach.
Have a super time. I know you’ll send pics.
:coffee2:

Lexi Connor March 23, 2008 at 12:06 am

Have a great trip and yes, the laptop case is lovely!