They Can Take Away Our Internet

by Kay~Kacey on 3/26/2008

Yep they can take away our internet, but they can’t take away our fun!!! Good thing I’m an easy going, glass half full type person!

Want to see our internet cafe?? Of course you do!

internet cafe ala mini van

Yes, my own private internet cafe…ala mini van. If I sit sideways I can steal borrow some nice unsuspecting neighbor’s wireless. Barely.

So the property “management” came by with the green box. “There you go. Plug it in and you’re all set.” Why did I doubt that? But just in case they left us the phone number to Gulftel.

So, of course the modem didn’t work. And, just following along with the saga of the non internet connection..the phone number they left for us wasn’t the right one either. We finally found the right number. Called. Went through their automated phone menu…twice. Got a really helpful woman…who said “y’all just wait for 4 hours or so. That usually makes it work.” Yeah, right. I’m thinking she was off duty in 4 hours.

The Geeky One keeps working on it. We call back again and speak to a slightly more knowledgeable guy. At least he asked us what model DSL modem we had. After an hour and half, Slighty More Knowledgeable gave up. He so kindly offered to “Write y’all up a ticket. Y’all got a super modem there. I can’t get ‘er to work. Someone will call ya within 24 hours.”

Yeah, I’m all over that. I’m going to sit inside and wait for that call… :roll:

But WAIT, there’s more. So the Geeky One and I were sitting there and I smelled something that smelled, well, like an electrical fire. We look over, and A LAMP IS ON FIRE. Honest. Could I make this crap up?? So it’s plugged into an outlet UNDER THE CARPET. We have to move furniture to be able to pry up the carpet to unplug the lamp. We throw the burning lamp outside. The owner better not even THINK about keeping our deposit because of the stupid blackened lamp! By then I’m thinking serious drinking is in order.

vacation entertainment

Okay, got that covered…

vacation party

Yep, we’re a glass half full type of family. Or, maybe here, we’re a glass empty. But we know how to fill it back up. :mrgreen:

Treasia March 26, 2008 at 9:26 am

Isn’t technology grand in some ways? :grin: You sound like me only it’s the cable repairman here. :rofl: If I waited each time they asked me to, I would be older and grayer. Drinking cures all.

Mental P Mama March 26, 2008 at 9:58 am

Kacey–you are, indeed, one resourceful mama! I will be on the west coast of Florida Saturday, please restock the bar, because I plan on finding y’all. :beer:

Tori Lennox March 26, 2008 at 10:17 am

Hey, where’s a picture of the burning lamp??? :mrgreen:

WillThink4Wine March 26, 2008 at 11:04 am

Oooh. Margaritas!!

Kelly Boyce March 26, 2008 at 11:50 am

I have a major hate on for automated phone services that tell you to press 6 million numbers when all you want is a human, but when you hit zero to get one they tell you that isn’t an option. Grrrr….

Kate March 26, 2008 at 11:55 am

Even with all the minor disasters, and they are minor because really, nobody got hurt . . . with all that, you continue to have a good time and laugh about it. The last picture was a good perspective shot. Place actually looks pretty nice!

HAVE FUN!

Christine March 26, 2008 at 12:59 pm

Plugging a lamp *under* the carpet?? Crazy!

At least it looks like ya’ll are having a blast!!

Amy March 26, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Well it looks like a certain family is having a great time! Wish I could join you!

Misty Dawn March 26, 2008 at 7:42 pm

Oh my gosh! You are so awesome! I LOVED this post the whole way through!

colleen March 27, 2008 at 8:46 pm

You sound so much like me. I have some great guerrilla blogging stories. I just can’t stand the glare!