Signs of Aging

by Kay~Kacey on 4/4/2008

Yes, eventually we all get to that stage. The reading glasses stage. I’ve been there for a few years. Some of this baby boomer aging stuff is not all it’s cracked up to be. Drives me crazy to strain to see small print. Like tonight when I made my instant chocolate fix. Was that 1/4 c water or 1/3 cup? Like they thought I could read that small print?

Oh, and people with small fonts on their websites? Do NOT get me started. It won’t be pretty. Especially when reading on my laptop.

reading glasses

Well, I decided that if I had to wear reading glasses, they were going to make a statement. No barely there wire frame ones for me.

It does annoy me to have to dig them out of my purse to read labels at the grocery store, the menus at restaurants, and back cover copy of books at the bookstore, but I’ve learned to adjust. I carry glasses in my purse. In my car. I have them strategically placed all over the house. Kind of reminds me how I would strategically place pacifiers all around my oldest son in his crib, hoping he’d find them and I would get just a few more minutes of sleep. I’d do anything for five minutes of sleep when he was a baby. (The Photographer One. He’s grown a bit, huh?)

But I digress…back to reading glasses.

colorful reading glasses

These are my favorite ones. I keep them in my purse all the time. Aren’t they fabulous? I look smashing in them! (As an aside, this is an old photo. The glass are resting on a PC laptop. I’m so a Mac girl now!)

So do you have to wear reading glasses yet? Do you have really cool ones? I say go full steam ahead with the aging thing. Age is just a mindset! You’re as young as you want to be.

Mental P Mama April 4, 2008 at 6:19 am

Love them! Mine: http://thementalpausechronicles.blogspot.com/2008/03/show-and-tell-150-20.html

I hope that works…this new macbook is killing me! :blah:

Amy Walton April 4, 2008 at 6:47 am

I usually buy my reading glasses at Steinmart. I still get by with the lowest magnification, but I have certainly learned the importance of having that “stash.”
I typically reserve the cheap granny glasses for bed time reading and opt for more stylish ones at work. Yours are great!

Suzanne April 4, 2008 at 7:09 am

Those are so cute! I actually read better WITHOUT my glasses!

Hillbilly2 April 4, 2008 at 7:18 am

I haven’t went as far as getting the readers yet. But I need to. Love yours! They definitely make a statement! :book:

LauraP April 4, 2008 at 7:50 am

It’s so reassuring to know I’m not the only with reading glasses stashed all over the place. I even have a pair in the barn – can’t be overdosing the cows and such!

Shirley April 4, 2008 at 8:33 am

Oh yes, I’ve got bunches too. In the car, in my desk at work, in my makeup drawer in the bathroom. You name the place, I’ve got at least one pair of glasses there.

I used to make fun of people who had them perched on the end of their noses. Now that’s exactly where mine are. :rofl:

Shirley April 4, 2008 at 8:50 am

I have glasses stashed everywhere. And I still spend time searching for them. :rofl:

Christine April 4, 2008 at 9:54 am

Love those last glasses. Cute!!

I don’t need reading glasses yet. I wonder if I would ever since I’m already blind as a bat now. :roll:

Country Girl April 4, 2008 at 10:05 am

They are really cute! So far, I haven’t needed them too much. Just for pill bottles and really tiny stuff. It will hit me, though. I can ‘see’ it coming!

BTW, if I came over to WordPress, would I be able to incorporate my current blog? Or would I have to start all over? I’m really thinking of it. I can get my own domain name, too, I see. I need to visit godaddy.

Kacey April 4, 2008 at 10:32 am

Wordpress has an import from blogger incorporated right in the admin panel. Not that I’ve done it. Maybe Google around and see if it’s working for people?

If you do switch, let me know. I’ll give you a heads up on some templates for it that are better for photography stuff. You want a wider content section so you can do larger photos, and I prefer a fixed width content column so it doesn’t float text around the photos differently depending on who is looking at it.

College Mama April 4, 2008 at 10:37 am

I need them too but I don’t have any cool ones like yours. I need to get some!

Elizabeth April 4, 2008 at 10:37 am

I love these! Way to make a statement. I don’t wear reading glasses, but I’m on the market for a new pair of regular glasses and I’m inspired to look for a little flair this time around!

Treasia April 4, 2008 at 10:54 am

I think in total I have about 6 pairs of reading glasses laying around my house with another pair in my purse. God do I need to get to an eye doctor! And as you said it’s another sign of aging and one that personally I hate. A few weeks ago my hubby stole a pair from me. He looks so cute sitting in MY glasses reading now. The funny part is he is five years my junior and never thought he would need them. :rofl:

Amy Addison April 4, 2008 at 11:41 am

Yes, I have reading glasses, but none as cool as those rainbow ones! I love them. I have prescription reading glasses because each eye needs something slightly different, though I think a general magnifying type of glasses would work too. However, within the next few years I suspect I’ll need glasses full time. In my family, that seems to be the 40th b-day present from our DNA.

On the small print: I HEAR YOU! I hate small print. Husband had to read the WEP key on our router the other day….couldn’t do it even with glasses. Grrr….

Queen Of Planet Hot Flash April 4, 2008 at 12:27 pm

I started out with about 10 different pair of reading glasses.. forgot where I left them all the time. Then off to the eye doc and now have TRI-FOCALS…aaahhh the good ole days of reading glasses..

Tori Lennox April 4, 2008 at 2:15 pm

I’ve had to wear glasses/contacts since I was a teenager. So boring.

But then two or three years ago I had to get the dreaded bifocals. I hate hate HATE them.

chanda April 4, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Girl! I couldn’t agree with you more. Im constantly amazed at the white wiry hair that has snuck its way onto my head. And this last visit to the eye dr? *sigh* I now need reading glasses. So much for the 20/20 vision at 40.

But it’s true, even though my body is aging (oooh so gracefully), my mind and certainly my matruity level still hovers right around 25. Hmmm am I too old for a tatoo?? :)

Those glasses are fabu!

Blogarita April 4, 2008 at 2:58 pm

I skipped right over readers into actual glasses (astigmatism, different Rx in each lens, etc.). In six years I’ve gone from needing none to needing tri-focals. I have three pair now, the trifocals I wear all the time (brown), a pair of bifocals just for the computer (bright purple) and a pair just for TV (bright blue).

Wonder if I could by some of those fun frames and have the optometrist order the Rx lenses for them. :crazy2:

Melissa Marsh April 4, 2008 at 2:59 pm

No reading glasses yet, but I have to wear glasses every day anyway and only wear my contacts occasionally. I am noticing more gray in my hair, though, and I’m not yet 33.

daisy April 4, 2008 at 3:22 pm

I absolutely love your glasses. Very funky and stylish!

I could probably use a pair now and then, just to read that stinkin’ small print they put everywhere, but so far, I’m resisting.

I’ve been nearsighted in only one eye for as long as I can remember, so maybe that is helping me. Or maybe it’s the vitamins my mother always insisted I take. I’m almost 50 and I’ve found about three gray hairs on my head. Ever. So that’s not bad. Although I wouldn’t mind a distinguished head full of gray…it might make me look a little smarter. Hee hee. (Maybe the glasses could help with that, too.)

Happy Friday.

Ash April 4, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Well,one good thing about suddenly not being able to look closely and see small print is knowing we are ALL having the same difficulties! While I have bought a few pairs of the cute reading glasses, I hate going and looking for them when I need them! Guess I should do what you do and stash them all around! Great blog you have!

dlyn April 4, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Like you, I have tons of pairs, stationed everywhere and they are all loud and garish and fabulous!

Tara April 4, 2008 at 6:20 pm

Kacey

I went for the eye exam and am not quite there yet at 46…they say if you are near sighted it takes longer–so I am already wearing glasses to drive anyway, guess when it happends it won’t really matter! You’re right. Age is a number, that’s it!

tommie April 4, 2008 at 11:49 pm

those are cool…..I have had to resort to putting some of those on while I pluck my eyebrows! Dang if that isn’t a slap in the face at 39!

BTW, may I ask what made you a mac girl? I am looking at getting a new laptop and just wondering?

Kacey April 5, 2008 at 7:26 am

Tommie, I was so tired of my PC. Virus protection, spyware. Keeping up with updates for that. The computer freezing. So I decided, Hey, I’ll switch to a MAC. So I bought a mac mini. To see if I’d like it. Then I was back within a month buying a Macbook. (I’m a laptop girl at heart). Love it. Rarely have any problems. Occasional lock up of firefox, that’s about it. (knock on wood).

Pat July 5, 2009 at 12:38 pm

8) Here’s my blog http://closinginonretirement.blogspot.com/…I think we are all kindred souls