The Really Cool Wooden Bench

by Kay~Kacey on 4/8/2008

Yes, it’s time for another Made for Kacey post. SuperGuy is the BEST. He made me this bench. (actually I’m sucking up to him now and trying to side track him. :secret: I didn’t get any pics of the finches after all the hoopla yesterday with the big bird feeder move…which DID finally get moved…)

bench

Isn’t it pretty? Well, he actually made it twice. See, he rescued it from the trash that some neighbor left out. Yes, don’t tell anyone. We’ve been known to raid the trash for things we think might be treasures. So he sprayed the ends of it blue (so it would look pretty on my back deck where I have bright colored chairs) and he put new boards on it. Well, that lasted about a year. Then you’d get splinters in your butt if you sat on it with shorts on. Not nice. Well, and it sagged. Just a bit.

bench detailmore bench detail

Not to be defeated, SuperGuy redid it with shorter slats, rounded the edges of the slats, found some new super duper keep the wood smooth and shiny stuff to put on the wood. I love and adore the curls in the iron on the ends of this bench. :love:

bench in the snow

It survived the winter nicely, didn’t it? I guess the new super duper shiny wood protector stuff is SuperGuy’s new best friend.

IMPORTANT NEWS!

Kate, at Chronicles of a Country Girl is the winner of the March Photo of the Month contest with her crocus photo. It was gorgeous. We had some great entries, didn’t we? Kate will now have all the fame, fortune, and honor that that winning this contest bestows!! :mrgreen: Congrats, Kate. It was a fantastic shot!

I’ll be doing the contest again for April, so start picking our your favorite photo for April. Yes, I’ll remind you again towards the end of the month!

Mental P Mama April 8, 2008 at 6:25 am

Bravo Super Guy. :beer:
Brava Kate! :typing:

Suzanne April 8, 2008 at 6:31 am

That is a really pretty bench! I love the ironwork, too. And yes, I want finch pictures!

Amy April 8, 2008 at 7:01 am

Kacey,

Please …. clone that SuperGuy!

The bench is lovely, and as the old saying goes, one man’s trash is another’s treasure!

Hillbilly2 April 8, 2008 at 7:08 am

Love the bench! WTG SuperGuy!
Congrats Kate!
:beer:

Kelly Boyce April 8, 2008 at 7:44 am

Love the bench! It looks amazing!!

bleeding espresso April 8, 2008 at 9:09 am

What a gorgeous bench! Lovely for lazy summer evenings…they’re almost here, right?

Blogarita April 8, 2008 at 9:25 am

Very nice!

And I got nothin’ against trash-picking. Nope, nothin’ at all. :cool:

Nap Warden April 8, 2008 at 9:31 am

Wow…well done Super Guy! I am currently battling an IKEA sideboard, and it’s winning:(

Christine April 8, 2008 at 10:18 am

Beautiful bench! It is amazing what people will throw away.

Congrats Kate!!!!

Amy Addison April 8, 2008 at 10:36 am

SuperGuy ROCKS! The bench is beautiful.

We, too, will rescue things others don’t want (take a look at all the dang ANIMALS running around here). I rescued an antique wicker rocker last year with a broken runner. We’re taking the other runner off, repainting it, putting on a new cushioned seat and will use it as a low deck chair. It’ll be perfect.

Tara April 8, 2008 at 10:43 am

congrats to the winner–entries were wonderful and your bench divine!

Tori Lennox April 8, 2008 at 10:54 am

SuperGuy is super handy! :smile:

Now, where are our finch pictures? *tapping foot*

Meg April 8, 2008 at 11:30 am

That bench is really beautiful, I love the iron work!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life April 8, 2008 at 11:43 am

This is beautiful. What a great find and even greater that that wonderful man rebuilt it TWICE. I am impressed. I loved the photo of it in the snow.

Elizabeth April 8, 2008 at 1:50 pm

That bench is just gorgeous. Super Guy, you are fabulous!

chanda April 8, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Im jealous eight ways to sunday! Love the bench, and I can’t believe it was a found treasure- it looks brand new. And oh to have a handy dude around for all the heavy lifting and gluing of things.

Great post.

ps.. how do you get in on the photo of the month contest?

Kacey April 8, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Chanda, I’ll put up a post at the end of the month, but basically you pic one of the favorite pictures you took during the month and send me a link to it when I ask for them. (usually the last few days of the month). Then I put them up on a post at the beginning of the next month, and this month we had a voting poll for favorite shot. Any regular can participate. We’d love to have you!!

Kate April 8, 2008 at 8:03 pm

I was just about to comment on the scroll-work on this lovely wrought-iron bench when I saw that I had won the Photo of the Month Contest.

I’d like to take a moment to thank the Academy for this prestigious award. I just hope I can deal with the fame! It’s beginning to go to my head already. Or maybe it was another pain pill I just took.

(no, not really!) Thanks. The contest was fun.

Love the bench, Kacey.

Cheryl St.John April 9, 2008 at 12:04 am

Congrats, Kate! It was a fabu picture!
Smooches,
Cher :-)

This Eclectic Life April 9, 2008 at 5:48 am

HEY! I’ve got a bench like that, but it needs Super Guy to come and replace the wood! Mine doesn’t survive the weather so well. Great job! And, congrats to Kate.

Shimmy Mom April 11, 2008 at 10:10 am

What a beautiful bench. Way to go SuperGuy! (I found your site on Chickens in the Road. Your site seems fun- thanks for letting me look.)