Attack of the Groundcover

by Kay~Kacey on 4/9/2008

So after our glorious weekend it has turned to rain. Again. But today, in the middle of the afternoon the sun came out for like 30 minutes. What did I do? Well, of course you already know that!

ground cover

I grabbed my camera and did a sneak attack on the sunshine. Here is the ground cover that “we” decided to plant in my front planting area. It took over. I used to have wild flowers that came out and wrapped around the bushes and it was beautiful. I had lots of tulips and daffodils, lily of the valleys, hyacinths . Now I have….ground cover.

I have demanded calmly suggested…repeatedly to SuperGuy that we pull out the ground cover. But he likes it. :roll: Well, it’s not that I don’t like it…I mean we don’t have to weed now. But low maintenance is not all it’s cracked up to be! But I miss my wild flowers and seeing what mix comes up each summer.

So, what do you think? Should we pull the ground cover and go back to wild flowers and give the poor bulbs a chance to bloom??

What should we do about the ground cover?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

This Eclectic Life April 9, 2008 at 5:19 am

:rofl: Well, my goodness, you only gave me one way to vote didn’t you?? If it were me, ground cover is good. But for you, obviously your husband should yield. You are right. The woman is always right (whether she is wrong or not).

Amy April 9, 2008 at 6:47 am

Sorry, Kacey. I have to side with SuperGuy. I love the ground cover (or maybe it’s just your excellent photography!)!

Hillbilly2 April 9, 2008 at 6:59 am

Is it possible to plant the bulbs amongst the ground cover so that it will come up through the ground cover? Then all would be happy! :grin:

Kacey April 9, 2008 at 7:04 am

So Amy is the traitor who voted for keeping the ground cover. The one traitor so far :mrgreen:

I did have bulbs there, but the ground cover choked them out… It choked everything out. :mad2:

Blogarita April 9, 2008 at 7:11 am

My preference is the ground cover. But no reason you can’t get some new gear out of the deal! :grin:

Meg April 9, 2008 at 8:44 am

OH NOW….at least you GET ground cover!!! At my house, the deer EAT EVERYTHING!!! :mad2:

Sheesh…now you want bulbs???? I wish I HAD an option, lol! It looks amazing already, do what makes YOU happy! :rofl:

HUGS!

Suzanne April 9, 2008 at 9:20 am

Well, he did make you that really cool wooden bench…..

chanda April 9, 2008 at 10:02 am

If that stuff is “vinca major (or minor)”, the scurge I call perriwinkles, then pull it, pull it now. That stuff grows like nobody’s business, and is a serious pain in the butt to get rid of.

You did capture it’s pretty side, but don’t be fooled, it will turn around and bite you. :)

Amy Addison April 9, 2008 at 11:06 am

The ground cover is beautiful…if you took terrible pictures, this decision would be easier. However, it’s tough to vote without seeing the ground cover in the context of the whole yard.

Melissa Marsh April 9, 2008 at 11:18 am

Hahaha…I voted for the new camera stuff!

Beautiful pic!

Mary April 9, 2008 at 11:27 am

Groundcovers can be a pain in the a**. It is a lovely picture, though!
xoxo,
Mary

Tori Lennox April 9, 2008 at 12:11 pm

I voted for the new camera stuff.

Do you think ground cover would be good for a ditch that’s a bitch to mow?

Mental P Mama April 9, 2008 at 12:20 pm

I voted for you to get new camera stuff…but I do love the ground cover. Sorry. Is it myrtle?

Maryann April 9, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Sorry I voted for the groundcover too. One way of beating the ground cover is to plant the bulbs in pots and to bury the pots into the ground. Also if you place chicken wire on top of the pots, held down by stones; it will keep the squirrels away from the bulbs.
This method works great in using old pots that maybe have cracked and it makes it easier if you plant bulbs that have to be dug up every fall and stored.

Kacey April 9, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Five votes for keep the ground cover!!! I’m not amused!! :wink:

WillThink4Wine April 9, 2008 at 3:53 pm

I can assure you I voted for SuperGuy to cave in to whatever Kacey wants. I love, Love, LOVE wildflowers. I bought a ginormous box of wildflower seeds and I’m contemplating where to plant them. :twocents:

Rosie's Whimsy April 9, 2008 at 4:30 pm

Thanks for stopping by today. Now I have a new blog to visit, too!

Although, maybe you won’t want me to….I love myrtle as a groundcover!

:-) Rosie

Rebecca April 9, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Heheh…

Kate April 9, 2008 at 8:36 pm

Pull it out now and put it somewhere else if he wants to. I mean, plant it somewhere else!

The camera stuff got my vote. I didn’t even look at what else was there. Saw the words ‘camera stuff for Kacey’ and clicked.

Yeah.

TSannieBB April 9, 2008 at 9:23 pm

(ground) COVER is very very good….I sorta think of it as I think of body cover (tent dresses anyone??)….all cover, no matter WHAT it is covering, is good….very very good. :-)

abb