A Man and a Woman at an Antique Mall

by Kay~Kacey on 4/15/2008

So, we dropped in on some antique malls on our way across the state last weekend. We have fun doing that, and frequently plan our travels around antique malls we’d like to browse through.

new teacup

The woman (that’d be me) finds pretty teacups.

light green glass paperweight

She also finds a darling glass paperweight with cute little bubbles in it to add to her glass paperweight collection.

saw tooth thing

The man (SuperGuy) finds this dirty, rusty old thing and gets all excited. He explained, patiently, two times to his beloved wife what it was. She’s not sure, but what she got out of the totally stimulating explanation :roll: was some kind of saw tooth thingie.

See, yet another difference between men and women, besides the whole what to use for a vase for flowers.

As an aside, I was NOT holding the camera crooked when I took that picture of the glass paperweight. It’s a bit odd. It doesn’t sit straight, it lists to one side. I’ve convinced myself it adds to its charm.

Mental P Mama April 15, 2008 at 5:32 am

I simply cannot get over the fact that Suer Guy will happily go to an antique store with you…we call men like him saints in our neck of the woods! :angel:

Mental P Mama April 15, 2008 at 5:32 am

Mental P Mama April 15, 2008 at 5:32 am

Mental P Mama April 15, 2008 at 5:34 am

sorry…sumpthin’s wrong

Margery April 15, 2008 at 6:56 am

Kacey, I have teacups like that!!! They belonged to my mother and my grandmother, and they’re packed away somewhere. Must go dig them out and display them somewhere.

Kacey April 15, 2008 at 6:59 am

MPM was VERY chatty this morning :mrgreen:

SuperGuy loves looking at the old tools. He goes through tools, and some of the antique furniture (he appreciates the woodwork aspect). I look at the pretty stuff.

Margery, yes, get them out and enjoy them! I actually USE mine too :wink:

Becky April 15, 2008 at 7:14 am

My Sweetie loves flea markets, antique malls…
He likes the old tools, also.
Ain’t it great to have a best friend and be married to him!

Blogarita April 15, 2008 at 7:21 am

This post describes Spouse Guy and me to a T. :smile:

anniebb April 15, 2008 at 8:41 am

Do you only collect old paperweights or new ones as well? I also have a collection and have 13 so far. LOVE them.

Kacey April 15, 2008 at 8:48 am

Annie, mine are all old ones. Found in our antique/flea market shopping. Though, i guess if we found a really neat new one I’d consider it. Though part of the fun is in the hunt, and getting a good deal on them.

Treasia April 15, 2008 at 8:48 am

Love the tea cup, it’s beautiful. Trucker and I love going antiquing together. One of our most memorable days out together (spur of the moment) was when we decided to stop by an out of the way antique store. we spent hours in there browsing around.

Shirley April 15, 2008 at 9:02 am

I love digging around in flea markets and antique stores. I usually look for crystal, cut glass or clear depression glass. My friend that goes with me likes amber depression glass.

And we have killed many a day just looking.

WillThink4Wine April 15, 2008 at 9:05 am

My dear Kacey, you have got to be the luckiest woman on the planet! SuperGuy goes, willingly, to an antique mall AND picks flowers for your desk? In 27 years with Mr X NOTHING remotely like that ever happened to me. Which totally explains the X in Mr X. Love the tea cup! I have only one, it was from my Nana Jo’s china set. Each of the granddaughters got one when she died. I use it quite often. She would not want it to be sitting on a shelf.

ellen b April 15, 2008 at 9:36 am

I really can relate to this post thankfully. Dear and I could leave any antique store in any town USA with the same type of purchases…

Country Girl April 15, 2008 at 10:30 am

She IS the luckiest woman in the world! And that is the most adorable little tea cup. Can’t wait until Mary sees it. Super Guy’s little thing is cool, too.

Shoot, that sounded bad. Sorry. I’m going to go hide in this coffee cup for a while.
:coffee2:

Amy Addison April 15, 2008 at 10:33 am

The teacup is beautiful, but the funky, listing paperweight is gorgeous.

At least SuperGuy didn’t pick up a bull castrator. A saw tooth thingy is much better.

Shimmy Mom April 15, 2008 at 10:58 am

The crookedness DEFINITELY adds to the charm! I love all three of your finds. My Manly Beef Cake will go to antique malls with me- in fact I’d never been to one until HE showed me what they were, then of course I was hooked. He has managed to convince me of the neatness of the old tools too. I just try to imagine someone actually building something with it and then go look at the furniture and I’m amazed every time.
(I think that your collections say that you love beauty and feminine things. I love all things victorian. I used to have a very victorian formal living room but with four little ones I was constantly worried about my treasures. When my children are older I’ll try to get back to my flowery, feminine, victorian decorating.)

mary April 15, 2008 at 11:04 am

What a beautiful teacup! (Country Girl was right!) but when you said saw tooth thingy, all I could think of was an implement of torture to draw teeth without benefit of anesthesia. (Is that how you spell that?)

Men and women are different! (And not just because of their “thingies, Kate!)
xoxo,
mary

Kacey April 15, 2008 at 11:32 am

Kate!! LOL on SuperGuys little thing being cool. :rofl:

Amy, I think the listing paperweight has charm, doesn’t it?

ShimmyMom–yes, we sometimes have to give up things like charming Victorian rooms when our kids are little.

Mary, the teacup is beautiful, isn’t it? I love the little cut outs in the edge of the saucer!

Tori Lennox April 15, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Love your newfound treasures! I think we’ve got some old teacups & saucers like that somewhere that belonged to my grandma.

chanda April 15, 2008 at 12:27 pm

Beautiful tea cup! I have a pottery additction myself. There is nothing better than popping in and out of little hole in the wall antique shops to find little treasures.

That thingy your hubby bought? It kind looks like a speculum…. just sayin’ :lol:

Melissa Marsh April 15, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Ack! I want that tea cup! :love:

Stacy April 15, 2008 at 1:17 pm

That is great that he loves antique shops AND that he actually found an antique he loves while at one =D My hubby groans at the mention of antique stores xD LOL

Elizabeth April 16, 2008 at 11:18 am

I’m so amused by the saw tooth thingy that Super Guy was excited about. I don’t know what it is, but I like the photo!