The Power of Superstition

by Kay~Kacey on 4/19/2008

thirteen things on my desk

Thirteen Things on my Desk

PhotoHunt 13

“Luck is believing you’re lucky.” Tennessee Williams

So why is the number 13 considered unlucky? Why do things get designated unlucky or lucky?

black cat

Like a black cat is considered unlucky. I obviously don’t subscribe to that theory!

mirror

There is the superstition of breaking a mirror means 7 years bad luck. Let me just say, if anyone breaks THIS mirror that SuperGuy made for me, they’ll have more than 7 years bad luck! They’ll have one ticked off momma. (boys, if you’re reading this…NO BALLS IN THE HOUSE).

But I digress…Anyway, I believe in that Tennessee Williams quote. Luck is what you make it. You have to believe in luck to get luck!

So do you believe in superstitions like these? Kind of but not really? Have some superstitions of your own? Any other bad luck superstitions you can think of?

Hillbilly2 April 19, 2008 at 7:01 am

Walking under a ladder. Spilled salt.
Don’t put much faith in superstitions. :roll:
A friend once told me there is no such thing as luck.’Tis true. Your life is what you make it. Or in my case what others make it for me. :roll:

deb April 19, 2008 at 7:09 am

I’m only superstitious of a black cat crossing in front of me. For the life of me, I don’t know why, but I always make an “X” on my windshield if one crosses my path while I’m driving.

Great pics! Have a wonderful weekend :)

Blogarita April 19, 2008 at 7:28 am

I’m not really superstitious, but I never talk about speeding tickets (or more specifically, that I haven’t had one in X number of years), without knocking on wood. :roll:

Barb April 19, 2008 at 7:34 am

Good choices.

Mental P Mama April 19, 2008 at 7:50 am

My mother was terrified if anyone laid a hat on the bed. To this day, I have never had a hat on the bed. And I’m afraid I’ve passed the phobia on to my kids as well! And I don’t even know what it means! :blah:

Rebecca April 19, 2008 at 7:51 am

That’s quite a collection of stuff on your desk! :)

CrAzY Working Mom April 19, 2008 at 8:48 am

“step on a crack and break your mom’s back”???

I believe Tennessee Williams hit the nail right on the head! :)

Perfect shots. Happy Hunting!

Suzanne April 19, 2008 at 8:51 am

I have four black cats. Maybe in multiples they turn into lucky!

Melli April 19, 2008 at 8:52 am

:grin: THAT is quite a hodge-podge of desktop items! GREAT thinking!

Alice Audrey April 19, 2008 at 9:48 am

I refuse to not be superstitious. I’m just not superstitious about 13.

Shimmy Mom April 19, 2008 at 9:53 am

As a kid I NEVER stepped on a crack. I was probably 12 before I stopped believing that it would break my mothers back! haha. I’m not really a superstitious person. I do knock on wood, but more for dramatic effect than because it will help. My hubby on the other hand is retired from the Coast Guard and Sailors are the most superstitious people I know!!!

ellen b April 19, 2008 at 9:57 am

Great post for 13! LOVE the black cat and mirror and the quote. have a wonderful weekend…

maya April 19, 2008 at 10:18 am

I guess I am superstitious about some stuff. It’s more like some things I won’t do – or talk about – “just in case.” I’m not really afraid, though, it’s just added “protection.”

My grandmother wouldn’t allow us to open an umbrella in the house. I did it anyway.

I have broken my fair share of mirrors too, though those were accidental.

Amy Addison April 19, 2008 at 11:19 am

I once saw this on a reader board outside a cabinet shop:

I believe in luck. The harder I work, the luckier I get.

That pretty much says it all.

Susiej April 19, 2008 at 11:22 am

This must be my lucky day… I’m the 13th person to comment!!!
I’m with you on that mirror… no balls in the house… for sure!! It’s gorgeous.

Christine April 19, 2008 at 12:15 pm

No such thing as luck. No superstitions here either. Before I became a Christian I believed in all that stuff. Since then, I’ve been set free! :love:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life April 19, 2008 at 12:51 pm

I knock on wood, I don’t know why because I know it’s unreasonable but there I am, knocking on wood and if some isn’t handy I’m just the tiniest bit worried.

Your cat is beautiful. We have a dark brown, almost black cat with the most horrible speaking voice I have ever heard. He sounds like he’s been thrown down a well in a metal garbage can and is calling up, from the depths, to complain.

Tori Lennox April 19, 2008 at 1:23 pm

I don’t know about 13 in general, but Friday the 13th is considered unlucky because that’s supposed to have been the day the Knights Templar were declared heretics by the Catholic Church in the 14th Century (hey, that would be the 1300s!). Most of the Templars were arrested on Friday the 13th.

Wikipedia says the superstition isn’t really related to that, but they’re not always the most accurate information source even though I love them. :)

Kate April 19, 2008 at 2:02 pm

I’m not superstitious. I’m just a lonesome cowgirl. A cowsome lowgirl. I mean, oh why do I drink in the afternoon on a sunny day?

And now I have to pretend to be serious when my husband comes home from work and wonders what I’ve been up to. oH, NO!
Oh, just visiting blogs and writing a poem about Gary Busey on Pioneer Woman’s site.
Wait? Did I really do that? :rofl:

Write From Karen April 19, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Nope, not superstitious at all, not even one bit. But I enjoy reading about various superstitions and where they stem from.

Love the 13 things on your desk! I would love that toy, uh, thingie (the name escapes me!). I’d play with that all day long … on second thought, it’s a good thing I DON’T have that on my desk, lol.

Alasandra & The Cats April 19, 2008 at 7:34 pm

Love the black cat. We were blessed with the presence of a beautiful and wise black tuxedo cat for several years. I still miss him very much.

In Japan black cats are suppose to bring you good health.

Carolyn April 19, 2008 at 7:40 pm

I love that you turned the PhotoHunt into a topic of discussion. I should try it sometime. As for the photos, I love the stuff on your desk. Cool. As for superstitions, my dad opened an umbrella in the house yesterday and it snowed. What up wid that?

Dawn April 19, 2008 at 8:36 pm

I don’t believe in those superstitions. I read your previous post also. I am a glass half full person. I spent a couple weeks talking perspective in our house. At one point, I asked my 11 year old if I gave her an extra $5 for her birthday (which I had) would she wail and cry “It’s not fair, no one else got it”? She looked at me funny and I said, it is funny how she whines when I say she has an extra chore to do and says “That’s not fair, the others don’t have to”. It is all about perspective. Both good posts. Thanks for visiting today.

Carver April 19, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Good post for the 13 theme. Lovely mirror and I had to laugh at your “no balls in the house”. That would be a shame to have something happen to that mirror.

I am not superstitious but I hedge my bets. I always knock wood if I way certain things. Don’t want to jinx myself. Also, if I say something at the same time as someone else, I used to say jinx. As I’ve gotten older, instead of saying jinx, I will say great minds think alike.

Gypsy at Heart April 19, 2008 at 9:35 pm

(boys, if you’re reading this…NO BALLS IN THE HOUSE).

I had to laugh when I saw this….double entendre?

Vixen April 19, 2008 at 9:54 pm

Great job with 13. I didn’t even think of superstitions! I guess I don’t really believe in any of those standard superstitions. But now that I think about it, we kind of create superstitions within the family and everyone follows them, :lol: . No one is ever, ever allowed to say “It can’t get any worse” out loud. Ever.

María I. April 19, 2008 at 11:41 pm

Interesting choice of objects!

I’m not superstitious and I consider myself to be a very lucky person. I have walked under a ladder, broken one or two mirrors, had two black cats, spilled salt , etc, etc. No, no bad luck.

A. April 20, 2008 at 3:53 am

Great post! If you had a hard time coming up with the idea, you did incredibly well.

My parents and family were very superstitious. I’ve tried hard to shake the superstitions off but the feeling is always there. I made special efforts not to pass them on to my sons.

tokenhippygirl April 20, 2008 at 4:21 pm

I’m not much into superstition myself. I do avoid walking under ladders, but only because I’m afraid of either knocking someone off accidentally, or getting something dropped on my accidentally. Otherwise… pretty good to go. BTW love that toy from the collection of stuff off your desk. The red disk on rails.

Amy April 20, 2008 at 6:29 pm

I still knock on wood occasionally.

What is that red thing on your desk that spins around on the metal thing? I’ll think of its name after I post this. I had one as a child and loved it. Do you use it when you’re stressed or in a contemplative mood?

jesie April 21, 2008 at 5:45 am

I like your 13 shots and write. Well-written. I don’t believe in supertition.

Thanks for visiting.

Rach (Heart of Rachel) April 21, 2008 at 10:44 am

Great entry! I grew up surrounded by so many superstitions. In the Philippines, there are just too many of them.

Crazy Daisy April 21, 2008 at 2:36 pm

I’m totally ignoring all the questions in this post and am just going to mention that at the moment I saw the first photo on this post, I thought “What would Macgyver make out of that?” HAHA

inlandempiregirl April 21, 2008 at 10:01 pm

I loved your take on thirteen. I also love your blog and the beautiful pictures. I will drop back in when I have a few more mintues.

RoYaL RoMiO November 30, 2008 at 3:23 pm

Though im a researsher in superstition :book: _IM complerly not beliving in this witchcraft