Where do we go from here?

by Kay~Kacey on 4/23/2008

So SuperGuy and I talk about where we want to go when we retire. Where. What kind of place. Do we want to leave the cold and snow of the midwest and go some place warm? But most of our family is here in the midwest. We haven’t come to any decisions. (Except this winter was doing its darnedest to try and make me want to move some where sunny and warm!)

So we visited SuperGuy’s aunt at her new retirement community in Kansas. Santa Marta. We weren’t sure quite what to expect. Well, it was….well, see for yourself…

santa marta sitting area

The sitting area off the main entrance. Which leads to…

bar

this fabulous wooden bar area. Nice place to meet your friends before dinner for a quick drink. Then on to…

santa marta dining room

their gorgeous dining room. Yes, people cooking for you whenever you want. A certain amount for meals is included in your monthly fees. Okay, so they never did get one of our orders right while we were there, but they are friendly. The place is fairly new, so I figure they’ll get the kinks worked out of the food service. The food was good, even if the wine wasn’t. :wink: We have “white” or “red”. :roll:

There is also a lot of do there at Santa Marta.

pool table

SuperGuy liked this.

jigsaw puzzle table

I was glad they were feeding my jigsaw puzzle addiction here.

chess

They have a library with a fireplace. Chess. Newpapers. A computer. Lots of books you can borrow.

They have a pool, and exercise room, a place to get your hair done. They have a bank branch right inside the retirement center. They have a cleaning service to clean your apartment. :love:

They have apartments in the two main wings of the main area, as well as villas scattered around the property. They are just finishing up an assisted living facility, memory facility and skilled nursing area. The people working there are very friendly and nice.

The whole Santa Marta retirement center is a cross between a hacienda feel or a Tuscany feel.

roof lines

This was the view out our “guest suite” that they have available for people coming to visit.

courtyard

This was a courtyard, not finished yet, between two wings of the main building.

Well, SuperGuy and I aren’t ready to make any decision about what we’re going to do when we retire, but it was fun to see what one option on retirement is. We keep thinking we’ll find some nice little house with a bit of property, down south. We had talked about moving to Bay St. Louis in Mississippi near where SuperGuy had a small farm…but it basically got taken off the map in Katrina.

Do you ever think about what you want to do when you retire? Where you want to live? Have you looked into any areas?

Mental P Mama April 23, 2008 at 5:32 am

That place is beautiful…I hope she’s happy there. Squazz and I have thought about moving to North Carolina. We live on the coast in Connecticut, and need to hear seagulls, so the NC coast sounded good. But when we thought about it, all our family and friends are here. So, maybe after the kids settle down in college, we’ll just downsize here, and then go rent during the throes of winter. Wow, I must have had a big dose of caffeine already. Have a great day! :coffee2:

Amy April 23, 2008 at 6:45 am

A bit of Tuscany in Kansas … who would have thunk? The place is lovely! My grandmother lived in a really nice community during her final years of life, and my sons thought the dining areas were better than any restaurant.

When I think of retiring, I dream about sleepy southern towns where history and art is vibrant, and the cost of living is relatively low.

Margery April 23, 2008 at 7:08 am

What a beautiful setting, Kacey. And to think it’s right in the middle of Kansas. But for me, two words – The Villages. Unfortunately, I can’t do that since I’m not American, but I can visit. Often. My regular home will probably be here at the lake.

Becky April 23, 2008 at 7:33 am

The place is beautiful! I live in the Carolinas, but about 4 hours away from the coast. I would rather stay where I am and visit the coast often. You know, hurricanes and things. I don’t worry much about those this far inland. I’m all for sand and sunshine! :beer:

Kacey April 23, 2008 at 8:11 am

MPM, there is that problem when all your family is in one place. It’s hard to move away. My parents just run away for the winter every year. That’s a nice option.

Amy, that’s exactly what Bay St. Louis was. Sleepy small town, booming art community. Only most of it was washed away in the hurricane.

Margery, we want to go look at the Villages. I love the whole golf cart community thing. I’m just not sure we want to live around that many people.

Becky, I’ve heard the Carolinas are beautiful. Haven’t been there since about middle school age, so I don’t really remember much about them.

annbb/TSannie April 23, 2008 at 9:06 am

Funny, the other day GB and I were talking about the fact that we should probably have something in mind for our “ultimate” retirement. That and wills aren’t an easy thing to talk about, but one really must.
I’m with MPM – all my children and a lot of extended family and many many irreplacable friends are here – it would be very hard to leave. But, who know what 10 years will bring!

Treasia April 23, 2008 at 9:07 am

What a lovely community she is living in.

We have talked about retirement a lot lately and still talking about it. It will be several more years to come but we have talked about moving to Virginia as well as the southern part of Mississippi. Like you are families are all here in AR though and this is playing a large part in our decision making. Only time will tell I guess.

Christine April 23, 2008 at 9:56 am

Lovely place! I never imagined retirement homes so nice!!

I hadn’t thought that far ahead. I just don’t know where we’ll end up or our kids will end up. All I know is that I want to be near my grandkids. :)

Amy Addison April 23, 2008 at 10:15 am

That place looks wonderful. We talk about going someplace warm for retirement. The desert. Arizona. Palm Springs (I love Palm Springs). But retirement is a long way off, and who knows what twists and turns our lives will take in the mean time?

Kacey April 23, 2008 at 10:19 am

annie and Treasia, I know. It would be hard to move away from friends and family. But it would be easy to move away from the snow!

Christine, yes the whole grandkids thing would come into play. Though if we move, we’d be inviting grandkids down for vacations to give their parents a bit of a time off! Not that we have grandkids yet. Knock on wood. Not ready yet.

Amy, my parents go to Palm Springs each winter. Palm Desert actually. Love that place. Though it sure is expensive!

Shimmy Mom April 23, 2008 at 10:19 am

Can you retire at 32 with four little kids? My hubby is medically retired from the military does that count? Because I’d move in there tomorrow! :rofl: that is gorgeous and sounds like a really fun way to retire.
In all seriousness though, I really think that my hubby and I will just stay where we are at. As of right this moment we can’t even consider giving up the animals or the big garden. WAAAAAY back in the back of my mind I know that it will get to be too much for us to handle, but I think we’ll just cross that bridge when we come to it. Hopefully at least one of the kids will stay around here and be able to help out so that their kids have a fun place to come visit Grandma and Grandpa. Because my children are all angels :angel: that would do that you know! haha

Melissa Marsh April 23, 2008 at 10:22 am

Goodness. That place looks absolutely heavenly, ESPECIALLY the maid service!

I want to retire in Europe, specifically England.

Shirley April 23, 2008 at 2:16 pm

When can I come live there. That looks like a great place to live.

dlyn April 23, 2008 at 2:46 pm

We are withi probably 5 years of my husband retiring. We are working on getting everything paid off so that he doesn’t have to go work as a Walmart greeter, though if he irritates me too much, I might make him go do that anyway.

In any case, we will stay here in good old upstate NY – our kids are in the process of moving back to the area so they would probably get a little peevish if we up and move now.

Country Girl April 23, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Well, after we hit the lottery next week, we’re going to retire immediately. Buy a cottage on the side of a mountain in Virginia.

Yes, that’s the plan.

I’m sorry to sound so flip, but it scares me to think of it all. It’s probably about 10-15 years away yet, but I should be thinking of it. I know I should!

Arghh.

This place, however, looks super nice. And super pricey.

Suzanne April 23, 2008 at 4:04 pm

That place looks wonderful!!!!

Granny Sue April 24, 2008 at 7:04 am

It’s a question to really think about, isn’t it? My ex-husband’s parents moved to Florida. they saw our sons, their only grandchildren about 5 times after they moved. We couldn’t afford to go there, and they didn’t come here. now he has passed away, and she’s down there alone. Although my sons have tried to convince to move here where they can care for her, she won’t leave all her things to live in a smaller house.

We will stay right here on our land as long as we can. It’s not an easy place to live, but judging by our older neighbors, it can be manageable until we’re 75 or 80. After that? Maybe move to a small house or apartment in the small town that is our county seat.

My home holds me close. Deep roots are not easy to transplant.

Misty Dawn April 24, 2008 at 11:48 am

It looks like a fantastic place! I value my wide open spaces and no neighbors too much though ;-)

karen April 24, 2008 at 8:34 pm

We have been thinking strongly about this situation ourself. We live in Georgia but we do not want to retire here. We both agree that we are not going to retire in the U.S. We have been taking trips around the world to see what other countries have to offer. We have done a lot of research on Bali and are going for an extended visit in August. We also love South Africa and found an area called Wilderness that is just perfect.