36 Hours

by Kay~Kacey on 4/25/2008

So, what would you do if you had 36 hours. ALONE. In your house??

Well yesterday I found myself in this position! SuperGuy was out of town. The male offspring are gone. So what does a woman do with 36 hours to herself?

Well, I work from home, but I can tell you this, I did NOT do a minute of work!

violets growing in the woods

I went out to the woods and discovered violets spreading through the woods behind my house.

I cooked grilled panini cheese bread. I played music way too loud and sang along. Then I turned everything off and enjoyed the quiet. I pulled out my guitar, unused for YEARS and played it. (couldn’t find my bag with all my sheet music in it though, have you seen it?? ) As an aside, I did find a folder of snippets of quotes that I’ve had since my teen years and some old photos from when the boys were little. Stashed in a drawer, not with the other pictures where they belong. :roll: Had a great time looking through them.

I researched macro lenses online and browsed through some new to me photography forums. I knit some on a bright red cotton dishcloth. I messed with photoshop.

violet closeup

Here, you want a close up? You’re welcome.

I danced like a ballerina in the kitchen.

So I adore SuperGuy and my boys. :love: Really I do. I miss them. Sort of :wink: But 36 hours alone in my house is such a luxury! I stayed up late, slept on SuperGuy’s side of the bed…with ALL the pillows.

So if you had 36 hours alone in your house, what would you do??

Blogarita April 25, 2008 at 6:32 am

I’d love it! I’d leave the bedside radio on all night. Make something to eat that I like but no one else in the house does. Read a lot. :book: Maybe in the bath. :bath: NOT have the TV on for the entire 36 hours. Not get out of my PJs unless I had to go out. Then I’d tell my family I missed them when they got back. But I’d be lying, because as long as I knew they were safe and sound somewhere, 36 hours is not enough time to for me to miss anyone.

Becky April 25, 2008 at 7:23 am

Wow! I would probably do a lot of the things you did, including the guitar. But add sleep in late.
I have so many friends, neighbors and family around me, I don’t think that will ever happen. For some reason they think I have to be checked on or they want to take advantage of having me all to themself. I’m not sure which. I have gotten really bad about not answering the phone or door. Sometimes I just have to be selfish!

Mental P Mama April 25, 2008 at 8:08 am

I would wear my pj’s all day, and do whatever the heck I wanted…we all need that solitude every once in a while… :bath:

Shirley April 25, 2008 at 8:51 am

I live alone, so I can do anything I want to, or not. I can walk around in my undies(not a pretty sight). I can cook and not clean up the kitchen. I can sleep anywhere in the house I want to–my bed, extra bed, recliner–anywhere.

I love living alone. Right now, I’m enjoying having my DIL and grandchildrn with me. But eventually, they’ll be gone. Things will go back to normal.

Oh, and every day when I get home, I open the door and say, ‘Hi honey, I’m home’. So I’m a little wierd–shoot me.

Treasia April 25, 2008 at 9:16 am

Welcome to my almost daily life here at home. :rofl: Being married to a trucker and having a teenage daughter this is pretty well how I spend most of my week. So what do I do? I stay in my pj’s till almost noon, blog, read blogs, shower, do yard work, go for long walks, maybe throw in the occasional housework, listen to the stereo, cd’s and such, do my handmaking of cards, and generally just do what the hell I want. LOL. mostly enjoy the quiet.

Elizabeth April 25, 2008 at 10:04 am

Having the place to yourself is such a luxury!
I would probably lounge around in my pajamas and watch the 5 hour BBC version of Pride and Prejudice while leisurely browsing through flickr on the laptop!

Country Girl April 25, 2008 at 10:08 am

I don’t know what I’d do if I were alone for 36 hours. Probably head to the beach and camp, maybe take one of my gf’s with me. Or have some gf’s over for a sleepover.

What I’m really writing about is the violet. Looks good. Did you check out Dlynz site? She bought an attachment for her DLSR that gets in really close. I read an article on the macro attachment you can buy and initially thought that I wished I’d seen it before I spent the money on the macro lens. But I’m ok with it now.

BTW, Christine’s re-designing my site and ah am movin’ to WordPress! YES!

Suzanne April 25, 2008 at 10:11 am

I want to see some of this dancing like a ballerina stuff at the next RWA conference after you’ve had a couple beers. :)

Amy Addison April 25, 2008 at 10:24 am

Being all alone…I tend to wander for hours, trying to understand where everyone has gone. It usually takes me a day or two to get into the rhythm of being alone and then….the boys are back!

Sounds like you had a great day, even if no work got done.

Melissa Marsh April 25, 2008 at 11:04 am

What a wonderful day! I’d LOVE to have a day like that. Let’s see…I’d sleep in late, maybe watch an old movie or two, write, take a walk with my dog, maybe hit the bookstore if I felt like it, and indulge in not-good-for-me snacks. :mrgreen:

Christine April 25, 2008 at 11:37 am

Sleep! Read in bed and sleep! With the baby, toddler, and tween… I miss sleeping! LOL

annbb/TSannie April 25, 2008 at 12:32 pm

How lovely! It’s good to recharge every now and again.

Shimmy Mom April 25, 2008 at 1:01 pm

I’d definitely sleep in. I love to sleep in. Unfortunately, right now, I’d probably end up cleaning house and unpacking or else I’d feel guilty for wasting such precious, undisturbed time. But in my perfect world, I’d take a long relaxing bath :bath: finish the wonderful book I’m currently reading, and do some sewing- most likely cross stich. Then I’d spent WAAAAY too much time on the computer reading all the great blogs I keep up one and getting into trouble on EBAY. If the weather is good (which in my perfect world it would be) I’d also play outside with the animals and possibly get some yard work done. Ahhh that sounds great. Where can I send a hubby and four kids for 3 days? lol :rofl:

K. B. April 25, 2008 at 1:38 pm

I have had 36 hours alone when hubby goes on business trip..and I too play MY music loud and dance to it. I eat brussel sprouts smothered in cheese for lunch and dinner and I too sleep on hubbys side of the bed with all the pillows. I go to bed a little early to read in bed too. Hubby can’t sleep with me reading..AND, this is the BIGGY, I let the cats sleep in bed with me. Hubby HATES the cats in bed. I find the cats snuggled up to me and purring is very comforting.
I also get suddenly creative and concentrate on a project and stay with the project to the finsh…( don’t need to fix Hubby dinner so have the time )
All and all, I enjoy the time immensely, and then look forward to Hubby coming home, because I do love him!
Enjoy your blog, and I read it in the morning with coffee and in the evening with a glass of wine ! Thanks.