Mama’s Got a Brand New…

by Kay~Kacey on 4/28/2008

Mama’s got a brand new…toy

new imac

Now, don’t get me wrong. I love my macbook. But it has a 13 inch screen and no separate graphics card and it was just puffing along trying to keep up with photoshop. Photoshop makes the laptop run so hot it burns my legs. Not to mention, depending on how you tilt the screen your pictures look lighter or darker. Very hard to figure out how to edit them for the web. So I finally decided it was time to grow up and buy a Mac desktop. I got this beautiful iMac. 20″. Isn’t she pretty?

imac and second monitor

Then I hooked an old monitor up to it. See? Dual monitors. :typing: I’m in serious love here. Well, the old monitor’s colors are kind of off, but at least I can use it for extra space. Especially great for browsing through pictures in Bridge. Or keeping my email open while I’m working. My bad. :mad2:

I feel like….such a grown up! :mrgreen:

I had to remind SuperGuy that he always says it pays to have the right tool for the job. (in which he justifies an ever growing collection of power tools…). Anyway, he didn’t argue with me. It pays to have the discussion in with him while standing in the garage surrounded by all his woodworking equipment. :wink:

So my MacBook will travel with me. I’ll use it for my writing. Checking email. But I’m all about the power in this new iMac baby! I spent the weekend transfering files and figuring out Leopard (my macbook is Tiger). Weird how Apple chooses cats for names of their operating system.

OH! And now I have to name her… Haven’t picked a name out yet. The Geeky One named the PC he built before college, Betsy. I made him a I Love Betsy tshirt that he still wears all the time. His old laptop (before he became a Mac convert) was a Toshiba. So he named her Sheeba. I usually called my macbook, Mackie. But now, help me name this lovely, sleek iMac! Do you name your computers? Got any name suggestions for my beauty?

Amy April 28, 2008 at 6:55 am

Kacey,

I’ve had my iMac for over a year, and I love it! I don’t think I’ll ever return to a PC. I’m still running on Safari but need to upgrade to Leopard.

I don’t have a name for my iMac, but I do sit back sometimes and marvel in its beauty: It’s a sculpture!

Becky April 28, 2008 at 7:10 am

I never thought about naming my computer. Geez, now you’ve given me something else to think about, like I don’t have enough. :roll:
How about naming yours Tigger!

LauraP April 28, 2008 at 7:23 am

You’re going to love having dual monitors!

annbb/TSannie April 28, 2008 at 7:28 am

I’m very envious! Love my macbook, but covet that beauty you have sitting on your desk. (sigh)

She looks like a Chloe to me.

Meg April 28, 2008 at 8:04 am

I love my BIG Mac…just like your new one…don’t know how I ever got along without it! Congrats on getting HER….I had never thought of naming my computer…oh the possibilities! :crazy2:

WillThink4Wine April 28, 2008 at 8:31 am

Wow, your desk looks so…. neat & geeky.

I do not name my computers as I don’t keep them long enough, maybe 2 years?

I just caught up on your blog, you’ve hit nearly all of my favorites! Dogwoods & Corona & Lime! The Dogwoods here have all dropped their blooms. Alas. And the weather is not quite hot enough for me to break out the Coronas, but it will be here soon!

ellen b April 28, 2008 at 8:48 am

Very nice! We use that saying a lot at our house too. Having the right tool for the job makes all the difference. So we have quite a good supply of power tools around…

Shimmy Mom April 28, 2008 at 10:12 am

:roll: maybe Kitty, since they all have cat names and macs are so small.
I like our mac, congrats on your new toy!

Amy Addison April 28, 2008 at 11:25 am

OMG. She is GORGEOUS. Serious, serious, serious envy here.

And how do you get the second screen hooked up? Is it just a usb cable? I have an extra (ProView, no less) screen hanging around…

Crazy Daisy April 28, 2008 at 11:49 am

I’m drooling on my mac book….

This Eclectic Life April 28, 2008 at 11:54 am

I do SO want you to come over here right now and give me lessons about using this Mac. I’m jealous of your abilities. And, I wish my geeky sons were near to help me! I want photoshop, but haven’t put aside the cash for it. Ack.

Christine April 28, 2008 at 11:59 am

Ooohhh, nice! I’m loving my new Macbook Pro. The iMac is next on our list! Which iMac did you get?

Kelly Boyce April 28, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Oooohhhhhh….(slobbers with envy….). I desperately need a laptop so I don’t lose writing time on the days I’m at the bf’s.

Suzanne April 28, 2008 at 12:18 pm

I’ve never named a computer, LOL. That sure is a pretty one! You should give it a pretty name!

Melissa Marsh April 28, 2008 at 12:55 pm

I have monitor envy. ;-)

Country Girl April 28, 2008 at 1:09 pm

And now I am lusting after your computer collection. And you are lusting after my macro. Oh, and I’m also jealous that you can navigate in Bridge. I’m lost. Let’s not even talk about where I store my photos . . .

Tori Lennox April 28, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Like I said in email, I hate you. *g* I am so jealous over your new Mac!!!

I name mine. My first iBook was named Belle (because she was so beautiful), so when I had to replace her, the next one got another Disney Princess name. Jasmine. And by extension, my external hard drive is called Jazzy. :rofl:

Kacey April 28, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Christine, mine is the 20″ imac. Second lowest priced one. With the better graphics card.

Amy, I use a mini dvi to vga? converter cable. (I just asked at the Apple store) to hook up the extra monitor. Then played around with the settings.

Kate, I’m just learning to get around in bridge. It isn’t a very intuitive program, that’s for sure!

Tori, I always like your computer names!

Elizabeth April 28, 2008 at 4:30 pm

Oooh fabulous! What a great upgrade. I like Tori’s Disney name theme. How about Mickey or Minnie for a Mac?

freddie October 23, 2009 at 3:02 am