I Live in a Black and White World

by Kay~Kacey on 5/5/2008

I guess it’s going to be one of those weeks. Way too much thinking time on my hands this past weekend. SuperGuy was out of town on a guys only float trip. As a total aside, he’s been going on this annual float trip for like 30 years. Same group of guys. Amazing, huh? I think that’s cool when a group can stay together that long. They are spread out all over now, but come for the annual float trip.

Back to black and white. Captured moments in time.

my three sons

This picture just makes my heart swell. I love these boys so much. They are my whole life, and yet, they aren’t. I’m not one of those people whose life begins and ends with my boys, but they hold my heart. I do have my life too. Somewhere I found my life again between the craziness of toddlerhood, adolescents, and teenaged drivers.

The Photographer One

The Photographer One. My oldest. He’s artistic, sensitive and well, he loves photography as much as me. I really enjoy sharing that with him. I knew just nothing about babies when I had him. I couldn’t believe they were letting me take him home from the hospital after he was born. What were they thinking??

The Geeky One

The Geeky One. Soon to graduate college and go off into the real world. A techie, a hard worker and a funny kid, in a wry subtle humor sort of way. Mostly I think I’m not old enough to have a kid out in the real world!

The Impish One

The Impish One. Always doing something mischievous. Always has, probably always will. Finishing high school. Going off to college. My life will change. I won’t have to try and stay awake to make sure I hear him come in. I no longer have to keep poster board in the house. There will be no more science projects. No checking to make sure he got up with his alarm. (which, weird thing that it is, he always hears his alarm and gets up. But I can’t seem to break myself of the check on him habit.)

Mizzou

Off to college. A life of sharing a room, dorm food, football games and finals. Halfway across the state. Far enough for him to grow and spread his wings without his mommy breathing down his neck. Close enough to come home whenever he wants.

So I start on a new phase of life. Excited about it. More time to explore things I’m interested in. Time to learn. More couple time with SuperGuy. But still, it’s a bittersweet time for me. These are my babies. They were just toddlers like yesterday. I’m not one of those smother your kids and get in their business at college. I strongly feel it’s their time to grow. But still, in quiet moments I know I’ll listen to the stillness of the house and remember when it was filled with laughter, arguing, video games, loud music and lots of love.

Mental P Mama May 5, 2008 at 6:49 am

Oh dear, now I am getting all sad for myself, too. Your cup truly runneth over, though. What a wonderful family.

Amy May 5, 2008 at 7:01 am

Oh, Kacey, I share your feelings! I’ll miss checking on Rhett to make sure he’s up each morning. This is a new phase in our lives, and we have no choice but to embrace it and continue to grow!

Becky May 5, 2008 at 7:16 am

Happy and sad all at the same time. Who knows what tomorrow brings.

Suzanne May 5, 2008 at 8:01 am

It’s an exciting time–for them and you!

Stacey Huston May 5, 2008 at 8:23 am

(wink) What a beautiful and exciting time for you all. Now you will have time to nurture youself for a change.. Looks like you have done such a wonderful job. I can partially relate as a mother of two fantastic boys.. thanks for sharing.

Christine May 5, 2008 at 9:08 am

So much going on for you! I agree with you, though. I’ve already determined that when my kids get out on their own, I’ll let them fly on their own. Now that my oldest has hit the double digits, I’m both excited and anxious to see what the future holds. Anxious – not in a bad way, but in a edge of the seat sort of way.

But I have a long way to go before there’s an empty nest here! LOL

Amy May 5, 2008 at 10:07 am

Thanks for making me tear up so early on a Monday morning! I guess I’m not quite ready to imagine my babies entering the real world. *sniff*

Amazing photos!! And the youngest…yeah, I can see some mischief there. :cool2:

Melissa Marsh May 5, 2008 at 10:24 am

I love the black and white photos! A very handsome group of guys. :smile:

Country Girl May 5, 2008 at 1:12 pm

Oh, Kacey. I know exactly how you’re feeling. My two boys are gone and even though I miss those days, it’s gonna be okay. Really.

Excellent choice for posting these in b&W. Love it.

Amy Addison May 5, 2008 at 1:35 pm

I love b/w photography. Adore it.

As far as kids growing. I’m constantly surprised at how much I enjoy each age and stage and think, this is it, this is the best one. And then a new one starts and the process begins again.

13 is just now entering the world of dating, which as mom is fun and scary and exciting. And he’ll be driving soon. Long before I’m ready, I’m sure.

And 9…well, he’s often off in his own little world. I understand my parents more every day I live with him. He brings back the child in me, which is good. I need that.

Tori Lennox May 5, 2008 at 1:49 pm

What a beautiful post! And I love black & white photos, too.

mary May 5, 2008 at 4:27 pm

Aww, heck, now you’ve got me tearing up…such a wonderful post, and beautiful pictures!
xoxo,
Mary

Pat - An Arkansas Stamper May 5, 2008 at 6:56 pm

What a lovely post! I’ve had an empty nest for almost 30 years, but can still remember what it was like when the last one left home. Your boys are handsome; great photographs.

annbb May 7, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Lovely in every sense of the word.

shelli May 20, 2008 at 5:59 am

Great photos of your boys! Makes me wonder what my little boy will be like when he grows up!

Melissa B (a.k.a. Photomom86) May 20, 2008 at 9:14 am

I popped over hear to see your pictures via Shutter Sisters. What a great post. My littles are just 4 & 2, so I can’t even begin to imagine what the quite of the house will sound like in 16 years. But you remind me to continue to cherish everything, even the fighting.

Great post and great pictures of your boys.

melody is slurping life May 20, 2008 at 10:23 am

Beautiful portraits…in photos and words. As a mom to four sons…one grown, one teen, two tweens…I felt this one.

Found you through SS.

tracey May 20, 2008 at 2:04 pm

handsome young men. and yes, they do look like they are pointing toward the future.