Indigo Bunting Hunting

by Kay~Kacey on 5/12/2008

While some people are off having Goldfinch wars. No doubt started by me here. I’ve been having Indigo Bunting Hunting :mrgreen:

indigo bunting at the feeder

At first I thought I had this one, lone Indigo Bunting.

Indigo Bunting Fashion Model

This Indigo Bunting is trying out to be a fashion model. See how nicely he is posing for me? I’m sure he’ll be famous some day, and will make comments to reporters “it all started back when I was first hanging out and posing for Kacey. She made me what I am today.”

hanging around bird

This one has been hanging out with my youngest son, The Impish One. See, isn’t this an impish bird? Hanging upside down to eat the thistle off the leaves, instead of eating at the feeder? Always trying something new, that impish set.

the gang's all here

Yep, the gang’s all here. Hanging out in my backyard.

So any of you up for an Indigo Bunting contest? I’m in :wink:

cloudscome May 12, 2008 at 4:53 am

Wow this is great! I’ve never seen so many together. Lovely shots!

Mental P Mama May 12, 2008 at 6:13 am

Oh great. That’s just great. * Sigh. What do they eat? I’m off to the bird store! :crazy2:

Blogarita May 12, 2008 at 6:30 am

Very pretty! I don’t think I’ve seen Indigo Buntings before! :grin:

Amy May 12, 2008 at 6:57 am

I’ve never heard of such creatures! They’re beautiful … and so are your photos of them!

Kacey May 12, 2008 at 7:42 am

Aren’t they pretty?

Mental (I love calling you that :mrgreen: ) they eat the same thistle mix we have for the Goldfinches.

Treasia May 12, 2008 at 9:20 am

Those are beautiful birds. The color is breathtaking. I am going to have to google them and see what area’s they live in.

Shimmy Mom May 12, 2008 at 11:12 am

:razz: What gorgeous birds! The only things I’ve seen in my yard yet this year are magpies and robins. And I think I saw a grayish-brown dove yesterday, which was strange I didn’t think they lived around here. Maybe somebody let theirs loose. Anyway, beautiful photos. I think I need to break out our feeder.

Elizabeth May 12, 2008 at 11:22 am

What amazing color and detail!

Christine May 12, 2008 at 12:01 pm

They are beautiful!! I love the vibrant blue!

I keep saying I’l get a birdfeeder up so I can start photographing birds but well.. yea… still haven’t done it!

Tori Lennox May 12, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Oh, how pretty!!! We don’t have any birds like that around here. I haven’t even seen any finches this year.

Amy Addison May 12, 2008 at 2:20 pm

The only birds we’ve seen are something native to Oregon (would have to ask 13 for the proper name) and hummingbirds. Maybe when they boys get their feeder done this year (and, yanno, spring arrives,) we’ll get some others.

Beautiful pictures.

mary May 12, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Wow — gorgeous!!! I’ve never seen them here in NJ…(sigh)
xoxo,
Mary

annbb May 12, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Ummm…..is that my goldfinch there??? I WANT HIM BACK!!! Send him on his way right this very minute!

And, yep, you started it all, Kacey!

I’ll go indigo bunting hunting….but I’ve never seen one around here…that might be a problem!

Melissa Marsh May 12, 2008 at 3:39 pm

I have never seen those types of birds before -and you can find them in your own backyard! How cool is that? I think the most colorful birds we have here in Nebraska are the bluejays and the cardinals.

Tracey May 12, 2008 at 4:25 pm

I had no idea that these hang out in groups! I see one occasionally flying, but never at my thistle feeder. I only see goldfinches at mine. Gorgeous pictures! Sorry it has been awhile since I’ve stopped in!

Mental P Mama May 12, 2008 at 8:07 pm

Well, I done some research, and can find no one here in CT who can guarantee they’ve ever seen one. But, I’m still working on it because the books say they should be here! :coffee:

Razor Family Farms May 13, 2008 at 12:55 am

You posted pictures of my very most favorite birds and I was so happy — until I got to the last photo and realized why we haven’t seen any around our house: you have them all at your place.

Just so you know, we will happily take a few of them off your hands. They will be well-fed and much adored (and certainly photographed until they seize from the flash… well, maybe not). LOL!

Blessings to you! Another winning post! I just love your blog!
Lacy

dlyn May 13, 2008 at 7:36 am

We have had a couple of them so far, but more are on the way I am sure. Indigo Buntings usually show up at feeders as they are migrating through an area – once the leaves are all out on the trees, they tend to retreat into the woods for the rest of the summer and a lot of times you won’t see them anymore. We live at the edge of some woods and as the trees on the edge of our property have grown up, they offer more cover, so they come to feeders nearly all summer now. If you don’t have feeders, you probably won’t see them much. Love these photos of your Kacey!

Laura May 13, 2009 at 9:07 am

Fabulous pictures! Glad to see the Buntings have returned. Biking the Katy Trail next week, and enjoy seeing these bursts of blue along the trail.