I Want Babies

by Kay~Kacey on 5/22/2008

I want babies. Well, not really. I mean I don’t want babies. Let me start again…

I want these to have babies…

turkey in the backyard

We had baby turkeys last year, but I didn’t get photos of them. I know, I know, how unlike me!!

smart turkey

This turkey is going to have smart babies, don’t you think? I mean, can’t you just tell?

The only bad thing about turkey babies is that I have this need to count the baby turkeys everyday….and, well….the number goes down and down. We have wild coyotes in the woods behind us. I have mentioned that we live smack in the suburbs, haven’t I?? In a neighborhood, for pete’s sake. I hate counting the baby turkeys and seeing one…or two…or more missing from the bunch.

As a total aside…these shots were taken by The Impish One. See the problem I have with cameras in my house??? They keep getting stolen!!

Back to the turkeys…So what time of year do turkeys have babies anyway? Any guesses on how many baby turkeys we’ll start with this year?

Mental P Mama May 22, 2008 at 6:46 am

They should be showing up soon…and they are so cute. We have coyotes, too. The circle of life is so sad sometimes. But the turklets are cute…is it turklet?

Becky May 22, 2008 at 7:03 am

I hope they have babies AND you get pictures.
Your so sweet for SHARING your camera! :angel:

Suzanne May 22, 2008 at 7:24 am

I’m amazed at how much wildlife you get in your yard in the suburbs!

Kacey May 22, 2008 at 8:42 am

MPM…I’m sure it’s called turklet…that’s such a cute name. We’ll for sure use it!

Becky…yeah, sure…SHARING my camera. And so voluntarily too :roll:

Suzanne…I KNOW. I keep telling the wildlife we’re smack in the middle of the suburbs…but they don’t listen to me!!

Christine May 22, 2008 at 10:12 am

Ahh babies! I cant wait to see your (or Impish One’s?) photos of them!

Do you pick out names for them?

WillThink4Wine May 22, 2008 at 10:46 am

Are you sure they’re not called Chicklets?

I do the same thing with our Canadian Geese. I suspect she’s sitting on her nest now, as only one has coming to ask for bread everyday rather than the pair. They come right up to my patio and say “Feed me!”. If I’m right, we should have goslings in a few weeks! Fingers crossed!

Tori Lennox May 22, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Geez, we live on the very edge of our city limits (and I’m being generous calling it a city *g*) and we don’t get your kind of wildlife! I’m jealous!

Melissa Marsh May 22, 2008 at 1:46 pm

I have no idea when turkeys have babies, but I hope that this time you get pics of them! :wink:

Country Girl May 22, 2008 at 2:19 pm

If you photoshop that graduate cap on the turkey, then I would believe it would have smart babies. It would take that to make me believe this.

annbb May 22, 2008 at 5:58 pm

The biggest “herd” (clutch/posse/group – what do you call a bunch of turkeys???) was 32, give or take a few last fall. We usually start seeing babies in June.

Last summer a baby got separated from his mom. I was nearly in tears listening to him/her cry over and over again for mommy. Don’t know if they ever reunited, but in my fantasy mind, they did.

Here’s to great pictures to come!

*JJ* May 22, 2008 at 7:07 pm

:biteme: Hey there I have you on RSS and have always enjoyed your post! I just bought a blog , I know alot of people out there have alot of mixed views on this :twocents: it was a business deal that I had to think about in a matter of 72 hrs..But anyways I bought it and I am loving it :twocents: I’ve noticed alot of people who feel like I cheated the system or whatever,but I look at it like this I have to work even harder to keep it going and to help out other people or Moms(since it is a blog to help Moms make cash at home. I really wanted to get this off of my chest ando to let you know how much you and your blog helped me in some ofmy decision making, women power!!! :blah: Also wanted to comment on the turkeys where I live I have up to 30 sometimes on my lawn or in my garden,they are very smart guys/gals when I move inside the house to get a better look their heads stop and then you can tell there is a signal given out and they all make a dash for the woods. Thanks for the forum for me to vent and just to let it all hang out *JJ*

Amy Addison May 22, 2008 at 7:43 pm

I have NO idea when baby turkies arrive. Nor how many they have in a go…can’t wait to find out, tho’

Misty Dawn May 24, 2008 at 11:38 am

Wow – I’m still gasping over the fact that someone else touched your new ‘toy’ (camera) and he survived… that would have turned out much different in my house. hehehe – Oh, I see, it’s because he’s your child, and you have to be the ‘understanding and patient parent’… all I’ve got here is a husband who says I’m very stingy with my ‘toys’ hehehehe

LOVE the pics and the turkeys are SO cool. Hubs said he sees the wild ‘turklets’ running around with they parents in June, but he’s not sure about domesticated ones.