And You Shall Receive

by Kay~Kacey on 6/2/2008

So, I forgot to show you guys what my boys got me for my birthday a few weeks ago. This is what I call the ULTIMATE luxury!!

4GB compact flash

Yep, a 4 GB compact flash card for me to use to take pictures. Of course I’m not sure if they realized I could then take 4 times as many photos of them without stopping… :lol:

Anyway, back to my point. My boys always give me well thought out gifts. Always. No “I forgot”. No token last minute flowers. Always a great gift. Doesn’t always have to cost much, but it’s always something I love and adore, and they ALWAYS put a lot of thought into it, and, you know, actually go buy it. How unmalelike of them! :rofl: I’m not sure how I instilled this practice in them though. I’ll chalk it up to good mothering skills…will you let me get away with that?? :cool:

So why is it that so many males (gross generalization warning here) don’t give gifts? Or don’t spend the time to really think of a great gift? I don’t mean great like spend-a-lot-of-money great. I mean….a gift that you know they actually thought about, and–here is the biggie– planned their lives enough to go buy it.

How about you? Are you surrounded by good gift givers, or “I don’t do presents” people?

The boys’ future wives–whoever they may be–can start thanking me now… :mrgreen:

As an aside, well, kind of…I was out of town this weekend and filled this 4g card. Had to download to my laptop. I LOVE this card. My last memory card was 1G!! I never would have made it this weekend. Anyway, like I said, I was out of town this weekend. I’ll get going on the Photo of the Month pics and get the post up tomorrow or the next day!

Suzanne June 2, 2008 at 6:20 am

I have some very thoughtful gift-givers in my life and it’s so nice. It’s never about how much money. It’s about the thought.

Beckynsc June 2, 2008 at 7:24 am

How in the world my family remembers things I’ve said I want, when I don’t remember saying it, is beside me. They are very thoughtful. The problem is they wait till the last minute and then have a hard time finding the gift giving treasure.

Katharina June 2, 2008 at 10:23 am

My husband is a great gift giver. He must take notes and do research. He comes up with great ideas and knows my heart desires. It really raises the bar and I have a difficult time keeping up. Not because I’m thoughtless, just because he buys what he wants and I have to get very creative. My grown sons are learning from their dad’s thoughtful ways.

Tori Lennox June 2, 2008 at 11:03 am

As much as I love my family, I have to tell them what I want. I have to make a list. And even then I’m not always sure to get what I want. Left to their own devices, I get the weirdest crap that makes me scratch my head and wonder if they have the slightest clue about me. *g*

MamáChanga June 2, 2008 at 11:07 am

My dh always asks me what I want, or has me make a list that he can choose from—lol!! Not quite as well trained as your boys, but considering the example he had to follow, I’d say he’s ONE in a MILLION!!

BTW, I’m jealous of your gift, I’ll have to have that as the only thing on my birthday list this year.

mary June 2, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Wow — great gift! Your boys are the best. :) I have to say that I, also, have some terrific gift-giving guys. My husband and my son are both very thoughtful in the gift department. My husband gave me my Nikon for Christmas, and my son surprised me with a visit home for Mother’s Day!
xoxo,
Mary

Melissa Marsh June 2, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Awesome gift! I need one of those when I go to England – of course, I’m going to be there for 10 days – maybe I should have 5 of them? :lol:

Tracey June 2, 2008 at 3:05 pm

I just upgraded my card too when I got the 5D. And as far as gift giving goes, let’s just say my hubby has gotten much better over the years! :love:

BearNaked June 2, 2008 at 6:03 pm

My best gift so far from my husband was getting an earring repaired. He had originally given me the pair of earrings and when one of them broke I was heartbroken.
I put the pieces in my jewellry box figuring that I would take it to the jeweller to be repaired.

Well imagine my surprise and delight that he took it upon himself to find the broken earring and get it repaired.

Now that is what I call caring.

dlyn June 2, 2008 at 7:13 pm

My husband either completely forgets or totally blows me away with something amazing. He does often ask me for a list at Christmas time and a lot of the time he has one of our daughers do the actual shopping, but he never forgets Christmas. This year for my Birthday he had a friend of his make me a stone bench for my front garden – it is gorgeous. Glad you got the card – I two 2 gig cards lus assorted smaller ones. I need more :rofl:

Jen June 2, 2008 at 9:58 pm

:beer: :beer: Well first Happy Late Birthday ! ! And that’s wonderful that they are so thoughtful. And yes when they do marry then the future wife will have you to thank for all of their wonderful gift’s also. You are so very right and a lot of people don’t really put thought into what they are giving.
In my life I am not married any more well divorced 7 yrs now so the gift thing well it doesn’t happen :mad2: .
However my grandchildren make up for it. :angel: They always give me something. Even if they made it. And those are the most special to me because they took the time to make it and figure out what they want to make for me.
Considering my grand daughter is 8 yrs old and my grand son is 6 yrs old. So that is what makes it the most wonderful gift of all. :grin:

WillThink4Wine June 2, 2008 at 10:06 pm

Oh, I don’t know if they never buy gifts… Mr. X once bought me a Mister Coffee for Christmas. In 22 years, that was the biggie.

I have (2) 2G cards and I need more!

annbb June 2, 2008 at 10:57 pm

My girls go out of their way to think of the perfect gift – then clue in their dad and their brother. Know the men in my life love me….and their cards more than make up for a lack of creativity, tho.