Road Trip-Hiking in the Canyon Version

by Kay~Kacey on 6/8/2008

So we then ventured down into Deep Canyon…or Palo Duro Canyon…or whatever you’d like to call this canyon. I called it Heck’s Canyon ’cause I don’t like to swear in front of the boys…

hot hiking

So the Texas Sons didn’t exactly prepare us for the kind of canyon hike this was going to be. I’m thinking pretty gorges. Possibly a stream at the edge. Wandering along the path chatting and laughing with the boys.

really hot hiking

Not exactly. It was like baking in the oven with no where to run. And, unlucky for me, I couldn’t take my shirt off like the boys could… :mad2:

battling the sun

Everything was battling the elements. Oh, did I mention it got up to 98 degrees that day? And this was noontime?

what are they looking at?

What are they all looking up at?

too high

Oh, right, since they couldn’t get me croaked off by watching them standing on the ledge at the top of the canyon, or baking me in the heat, they thought they could let me have another heart attack watching them scale the walls of the canyon.

palo duro canyon

It was absolutely gorgeous in the canyon though. This is a straight out of the camera shot. The colors really were this vivid.

deep canyon

Must have been having minor heat stroke here, because they talked ME into pointing in this photo. (I’m finding it really bizarre to be in actual photos on a trip. I’m kind of liking this SuperGuy has his own camera thing. I think. )

oops

Oops! SuperGuy accidentally knocked the camera out of automatic focus :mrgreen: I told him that this was probably the BEST shot of the boys from the whole hike and he missed it. :rofl:

tired puppy

Here is how their poor tired puppy ended his hike…in a mud puddle. Black puppy in canyon heat and sun is NOT a good combination. The puppy was asleep within a minute of climbing in the air conditioned car.

You’ll never believe what we saw on the way back from the canyon…. (yes, of course, continued tomorrow)

MamáChanga June 8, 2008 at 10:23 am

Oh Gosh, you are one courageous lady braving that heat. And I just couldn’t resist saying that puppy looks DOG TIRED!!

annbb/TSannie June 8, 2008 at 10:56 am

That puppy has the right idea! Mud bath!

Really is quite gorgeous – can’t wait till tomorrow, Kacey!

Suzanne June 8, 2008 at 11:02 am

That puppy is so cute! You’d probably never get me to hike in that canyon in that heat!

Christine June 8, 2008 at 11:29 am

98 degrees? Wow! I thought it was hot here at 80 degrees.

Yea, those HOT summers are one thing I do NOT miss about living in Texas!

mary June 8, 2008 at 12:05 pm

It’s supposed to get to 97 here in NJ today, so I feel your pain. Beautiful scenery, though!
xoxo,
Mary

Tori Lennox June 8, 2008 at 1:00 pm

But it was a DRY heat, right? I miss dry heat. I hate, loathe, and despise humidity. Ugh.

Love the picture of the mud puppy. :)

Amy Addison June 8, 2008 at 3:21 pm

Great pictures. The colors must be absolutely gorgeous in person because they are fantastic in the photos.

Great picture of you pointing. What are you pointing at?

LOL on SuperGuy going blurry for the “best” pic of the boys.

Love the mud-dog. It sounds like all of you are having a blast! Can’t wait for the next report because while I like the hot, I do not like the hiking….

Kacey June 8, 2008 at 3:33 pm

MamaChanga…Dog Tired. Good one! :mrgreen:

MAYBELLINE June 8, 2008 at 4:11 pm

I don’t recall how I stumbled onto your blog; but I’m enjoying your road trip. You have an advertisement for the Endless Pools. Do you have one?

Kacey June 8, 2008 at 5:05 pm

Welcome, Maybelline,

No, I don’t have an endless pool. The ad is just served up by my advertiser service. I think one would be fun though! I sure could use one today. It’s hot!

Tracey June 8, 2008 at 6:15 pm

Gorgeous canyon. Being from the east coast, we have nothing like that here! I feel your pain with the heat, though. We had our American Cancer Society Relay for Life yesterday. The temperature? 99 degrees plus 95% humidity! I lost 20 lbs in sweat! (Okay, not quite 20lbs, but you get the idea!)

Flea June 8, 2008 at 7:32 pm

That canyon is absolutely gorgeous! And that shot wasn’t out of focus – that was the heat shimmering off of the canyon floor, obscuring the boys. Or at least that’s what you’ll tell your grandkids years from now. :D

dlyn June 8, 2008 at 7:38 pm

So beautiful and looks like you guys just had a fabulous time!