Road Trip-Cadillac Ranch Version

by Kay~Kacey on 6/10/2008

So we finish off the trip with a visit to Cadillac Ranch. What, you’ve never been to a Cadillac Ranch?

cadillac ranch

Out in the middle of nowhere. Right off Route 66.

walking to the cadillacs

Out in the middle of a pasture. Cadillacs all buried nose down into the ground.

cadillac ranch cars

Could I make this stuff up? This “exhibit” is the brainchild of Stanley Marsh. He has quite a few, well, weird arty things scattered around Texas.

graffiti

Visitors are actually encouraged to add their graffiti. There are layers and layers of paint on these cars. It didn’t take much encouraging for the boys to have their hand at it.

more graffiti on the cadillacs

Each of them had to have their turn. One spray paint can. So they had to share… :rofl:

where to tag

It took time to find just the right spot to tag, don’t you know. These things take time.

admire your artwork

You have to stand back and admire your brothers’ handiwork.

take pictures

There’s time to take lots of pictures and stand back and contemplate the meaning of the universe.

another female

Oh look! Another female!!! Very exciting!! We brought along oldest Texas son’s cute girlfriend. She’s a trooper to put up with the 5 boys and their, well, maleness.

father and two sons

SuperGuy looked this happy the whole trip. We have so much fun when we all can be together! I’ll leave you with one last photo…

pointing at the cadillacs

Pointing. Again. What’s up with that?? :love: :love: :love:

~~~~ THE END ~~~~

Mental P Mama June 10, 2008 at 5:29 am

I’ll say it again, “only in Texas!” Looks almost as hot there as it is here…safe travels.

Amy June 10, 2008 at 6:52 am

Ooohhh, I’ve always wanted to see Cadillac Ranch up close and personal (and drive what’s left of Route 66). I think the installation was actually created by an art collective called Ant Farm, but Marsh was the dreamer and backer. It looks like you had a great trip; everyone’s so happy!

Kacey June 10, 2008 at 7:05 am

Amy, yes, a group put in the Cadillacs, but Marsh was the “brainchild” and put in $$ for the project.

It really was interesting to see. Marsh has backed a lot of projects around there. The Floating Mesa for one…which I don’t really think looks like a floating Mesa…but I digress…

Beckynsc June 10, 2008 at 7:25 am

That’s funny! I’ve heard of a Cadillac ranch, but that’s not what I had in mind.
SuperGuy looks really happy! And it looks as if you all had a good time. You have a handsome family! And your beauty makes them complete!

Suzanne June 10, 2008 at 7:33 am

Love that last photo! They are so funny.

annbb/TSannie June 10, 2008 at 8:22 am

What a lovely family! You’ve all “blended” beautifully! :grin:

Treasia June 10, 2008 at 8:46 am

You can almost smell the testosterone. :rofl:

BearNaked June 10, 2008 at 8:52 am

I guess that place would be a *guy* place.
Looks like everyone was having a great time.

Tori Lennox June 10, 2008 at 8:54 am

I’ve always wanted to see Cadillac Ranch and travel Route 66, too.

Too funny about the continued pointing!

ellen b June 10, 2008 at 9:06 am

Now that kind of graffiti I can enjoy.

Melissa Marsh June 10, 2008 at 3:24 pm

We have something very similar here in Nebraska – it’s called CarHenge and is a bunch of cars buried in the ground in the shape of Stonehenge. It is less than an hour from my hometown. Sigh…

Anyway, here’s the link if you’re interested:

Kacey June 10, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Melissa! I went to the carhenge site. Cool idea!

Chris June 10, 2008 at 5:36 pm

Thanks for visiting my blog. You like the name of my blog? I ADORE the name of yours! I’ll be visiting often.

WillThink4Wine June 10, 2008 at 6:36 pm

Kacey, I just love catching up on your blog! Your life is so full and interesting! And weird, buried cars?

Amy Addison June 10, 2008 at 7:03 pm

Thank you for those pictures! That is such a hoot! And you weren’t alone in the girl-ness that trip! Yay.

The pointing is just the “thing” isn’t it?

Tracey June 10, 2008 at 7:15 pm

I think that was featured on “A Talk Show Host Who I Shall Not Name” show. It was during her road trip with her best friend. I no longer watch that show as I have issues with HER, but anyway…I thought it was cooler to see it on your blog anyway! :beer:

MamáChanga June 11, 2008 at 12:49 am

That looks like soooo much fun! Thanks for sharing Kacey! You know while I was looking at your pics today I realized that someday you won’t be the outnumbered, you’ll hopefully have 5 beautiful daughter in laws to share your days with too! Hugs & Blessings!

MidlifeSlices™ June 11, 2008 at 8:34 am

Was the “colorful” caretaker of the ranch on hand the day you were there? He’s got wild curly hair and has that “homeless” look about……and he loves to show you around. Hmmm…..if he wasn’t, maybe he wasn’t really the offical caretaker…….and maybe he WAS homeless. :wtf:

Kelly Boyce June 11, 2008 at 9:44 am

Wow…Texans do some crazy stuff. :smile:

Christine June 13, 2008 at 11:58 am

Love it! Never been there… but another place to add to my list of “wish to visit one day” places.

I can’t get over what a handsome family you have! :love: