Road Trip-Castle Version

by Kay~Kacey on 6/13/2008

So we’re getting directions to the church to go to the wedding and SuperGuy’s sister says “Go out Versailles Road, and when you see the castle on your right, turn left.” :shock: Now, she’s normally a funny but sane person… Even more curious, SuperGuy didn’t question her directions. So we’re going out Versailles Road out of Lexington and what do we see?

Martin Castle Kentucky

Yes, the castle. Just as promised. Right down the street from the Keeneland Horse track. In the middle of a bunch of gorgeous horse farms. Let’s get a closer look:

Versailles Kentucky Castle

The castle was first built…well it was started in 1969 by Rex Miller who had taken his wife to Europe and she had fallen in love with the castles there. So they came back and he proceeded to start building her a castle…well, the marriage supposedly fell apart and he quit building. The castle was then supposedly sold.

I think we can get even closer:

Kentucky Castle

This is all just Lexington folklore, of course, I haven’t verified anything. You know how stories go… The castle was sold and the rebuilding began anew. Only to have a fire started by some of the workers get out of hand and burn the whole thing down. (well, I’m assuming burn the inside down, the rock walls seem to still be standing…)

castle barn

The property has this medieval looking barn on it too.

back of castle

Here is the back of the castle. It just goes on forever. Supposedly it has a 10,400 square foot six bedroom house and swimming pool and big library. Who knows when it will be finished, but they are currently rebuilding it. Supposedly. :mrgreen: It maybe? sold for about $750,000…which I find an amazingly low price for all the land–50 acres–and the buildings so I’m not sure that’s correct info either. But there sure are a lot of stories about this castle in Lexington!

I asked SuperGuy if he’d build me a castle like that and he didn’t answer. Do you think that means he’s considering it?? :lol:

Anyway, you thought my Cowboy Church was unusual. How about a castle in the middle of the horse farms of Kentucky? Seen any unusual sites on your travels?

Amy June 13, 2008 at 6:58 am

I have loved following your road trips! That castle would be any kid’s ultimate playhouse. In the middle of Kentucky horse farms … who would have thunk?

Beckynsc June 13, 2008 at 7:38 am

I love castles! Something mystical about them.
It’s a shame about the marriage falling apart. I knew a family back home with the same story. Not a castle though. The house was never finished.
Kinda adds to the mysticism. (Is that a word?)

BearNaked June 13, 2008 at 9:30 am

That castle is marvelous.
You will have to keep us updated if it ever does get finished.
Have you any idea who owns it now?

Mental P Mama June 13, 2008 at 10:42 am

Cinderella!

Shimmy Mom June 13, 2008 at 10:50 am

I want to live in a castle! Actually we have a home built to look like a castle on the mountain close to where I live. Almost the exact same story. Man built for wife, marriage didn’t work, sold it off. There are tales of things like water fountains in the entry. Glass stairs with waterfalls inside them, but no one I know has ever really been inside it. Play boy wanted to do a shoot in it once but the current owners said no.

Treasia June 13, 2008 at 10:51 am

How cool is that! I think I would have divorced him after the castle was completed though and then kept it. :rofl:

Christine June 13, 2008 at 12:07 pm

I lov e castles, too. When I was stationed in Europe, I was always fantasizing about living in a castle and what it would have been like. The most frequent thing I thought was how Europe had soooo much history with all of those castles and such and America had none of that Medieval history. I would have never guessed there was a castle in Kentucky! :shock:

Tori Lennox June 13, 2008 at 3:30 pm

Oh, I want a guy to build me a castle!!! How very cool!!!

Tracey June 13, 2008 at 9:14 pm

$750,000? Are you f-ing kidding me? :wtf: I’m calling a real estate agent today. $750,000 buys an anthill here in MD!!

Amy Addison June 15, 2008 at 2:50 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed your entire trip!

I always thought I needed a castle…..

Chris July 3, 2008 at 2:40 pm

so I Googled the castle (actually I searched MSN images for pics) and came across your blog. I am actually from KY and the story goes something like this.

Rex Martin started building in 1969 for his wife… they got divorced…

he moved to FL…

He passed away in (03 or so…) an attorney bought the property… do not know if it was for $750K or not but… the PVA value was appx $1,000,000. He was planning on turning it into a B & B….

Then in 2004 it burned down… not completely but most of the way… it was from the spark of a welder they say… my guess is the attorney wanted to renovate and had someone “weld” it right up for him and then lo and behold… free renovations on behalf of your local State Farm Insurance Agent!!!!

So anyways… the castle has been rebuilt… it looks marvelous… I was out by it the other day and it will supposedly be open soon for the B & B … the appx date was supposed to be April 08 but… who knows…. if it ever opens I’m definitely going!!!