Rose of Sharon

by Kay~Kacey on 7/14/2008

Rose of Sharon…kind of a funny name for a flower, isn’t it?

rose of sharon bush

We have this pretty bush that we brought back from SuperGuy’s mom’s house. It took a few years, but it’s off and running this year in the corner of our yard. Isn’t it pretty?

bloom won't open

Though I’m unsure why this one bloom…right in the middle of prime picture taking real estate on the bush, refuses to open.

close up rose of sharon

Anyway, it’s a nice splash of color in the yard. I love pink. So it’s all good. Except for the whole name of it thing? Why note Rose Of Barbara? or for that matter Rose of Kacey?? :lol: It does make me smile when I look at it though.

Why?

Well, it’s a childhood memory thing. My grandmother used to use Sharon as an all purpose name for my sister and me. It was a combination of both our given names…which neither of us used I might add. :roll: But we both learned to answer to Sharon anyway… Or Nora. Yes, I said Nora. Which was my grandmother’s sister’s name. I don’t know… :coffee2: She just called us that name too.

So the Rose of Sharon is a feel good flower for me. Do you have any feel good flowers?

Blogarita July 14, 2008 at 6:25 am

I’m not sure, but I was told Rose of Sharon comes from a biblical reference to a place in Israel. Although when I was a kid, I thought it was called Rosa Sharon. :oops:

Amy July 14, 2008 at 8:53 am

Beautiful pictures. LOL on the unopened bud in prime photo real estate.

No special flowers here. Though I do always get a kick out of seeing the sunflowers in bloom…. the only non-white flower I like in my garden.

Treasia July 14, 2008 at 9:20 am

Beautiful pictures. I have seen those flowers many times but never knew what they were called. I guess my feel good flower is daisies as they make me smile.

Katharina July 14, 2008 at 11:00 am

The Rose-of-Sharon is truly a lovely shrub. It is horticulturally known as Malvaceae Hibiscus syriacus. It’s flower is like the Hibiscus plants sold in nurseries, but I like the original better. My girlfriend gave me several that were no more than sticks she dug out from around her bushes and now I have a row of them about 5 feet tall and blooming. They are supposed to grow to 10 feet, but my friend’s bushes reach her second story easily. They will seed prolifically and then you can dig up the new shoots and plant them where you like or give them away.

Katharina July 14, 2008 at 11:04 am

One more thought: the Rose-of-Sharon is indeed mentioned in the bible. It is one of the references to our Lord in Song of Solomon. So, surely, it is a beautiful flower.

Shimmy Mom July 14, 2008 at 12:11 pm

My grandmother had 4 granddaughters: Heatherann, LeAnne, LauraLee and LauraLynn, I never got called the by my real name the first time. She would always just go down the list that way she knew she’d say the right name eventually.
Have a great week Sharon!

Suzanne July 14, 2008 at 1:42 pm

LOL on your grandmother’s name thing!!!

BearNaked July 14, 2008 at 1:45 pm

My favourite flower has always been lily of the valley.
As a young child I thought they could only grow in valleys. :oops:

Bear((( )))

MAYBELLINE July 14, 2008 at 10:53 pm

I only know it as a hibiscus. Thanks for teaching me. :book:

Suzette July 15, 2008 at 8:15 pm

I’ve seen these flowers all my life and never heard a name for them. They’re so lush! When I hear “Rose of Sharon” I always think of the character in The Grapes of Wrath – a really sad young woman. I hope I think of these beautiful flowers from now on.

My “feel good” flower? Iris. I love the smell and the endless variety of colors and forms. They were one of the few flowers that thrived in our harsh Texas panhandle climate. When I was little, I thought they were so beautiful they must be homes for fairies. I still think of the fairies when I see them.

Kate July 16, 2008 at 8:45 pm

I used to have Rose of Sharon’s at one of the horse farms we lived. I was just over there about 2 weeks ago and they were huge! Lilac is my feel good flower. These pictures are beautiful, Kacey.

Hey, good luck and have a great time at the conference!

BorneoGirl June 21, 2009 at 11:10 am

Hello there! I am a BorneoGirl, I am 19. Unfortunaly I am a newbie in Internet so surf via many sites.
I’ve stopped on your site just to leave a short question… don’t you know about
lowering cholesterol levels
I have a friend that suffer with high cholesterol and he need some diet maybe you know it and give the
link where I can read about? Thank you.

Michiel August 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Thanks for the beautiful photo’s. They helped my identify a Rose of Sharon in our new garden!