Traveling Disaster

by Kay~Kacey on 7/15/2008

So I’ve been obsessively checking looking at the San Francisco weather. You know, in preparation for my trip there this week for the Blogher Conference. The weather is going to be high of 65, low of 55… :shock: That is NOT summer weather!!

summer storm

I’m going to have to go dig out a sweater and jacket to wear. At least it’s going to be sunny! It’s 60 degrees right now in San Francisco… As opposed to here in the midwest where it’s 89 degrees…which is a cool down. The first few days of the trip we’re going to Carmel…which will be a balmy 70 degrees :wink:

Oh, you’re wondering why this post is called Traveling Disaster? Well, it’s like this. We seem to bring natural disasters to where ever we’re planning on traveling. Like New Orleans when they evacuated for Hurricane Ivan, and believe it or not, we were headed there again when Katrina hit. My friends now call me and make sure I don’t have travel plans to where ever they are headed to… :wallbash: At least the forest fires are dying down around Carmel now. :roll: I’m hoping we don’t have an earthquake while we’re there… knock on wood.

Anyone have any “don’t miss” suggestions for San Francisco? I haven’t been since I was in 8th grade… Places to eat? Things to do and see? You know, with my sweater and jacket on…

Mental P Mama July 15, 2008 at 7:51 am

I haven’t been in about 15 years, so I can’t give you any advice…but I can say Bon Voyage! Have a wonderful time!

Amy July 15, 2008 at 9:32 am

Bring it on, baby. If I can make it rain in Orange County in the middle of a heat wave, I can handle your San Fran natural disaster.

Alcatraz, Hot Fudge Sundae’s in Ghiradelli Square.

Are you staying for RWA, too?

carol July 15, 2008 at 9:46 am

San Francisco is about layers!!!! Always a sweater or light jacket. Food, Citizen Cake, farmerbrown, and Slanted Door!!!! Coffee in North Beach, Art Store FLAX
You are going to have a wonderful time!

Kacey July 15, 2008 at 9:53 am

That’s for the recs! Amy, no, I’m not staying for RWA…too bad they weren’t back to back. SuperGuy could get away for this trip, so I decided on this one. (plus the free conference, of course :mrgreen: )

Katharina July 15, 2008 at 10:17 am

The Stinking Rose restaurant is awesome if you love garlic.

If you want to see inside Alcatraz order tickets early on line. There were none available for the week I was there.

Melissa Marsh July 15, 2008 at 10:26 am

Never been to San Francisco…but have fun, Kacey!

52 July 15, 2008 at 10:27 am

One of my favorite places is the Cliff House restaurant near Golden Gate Park. It overlooks Seal Rocks and beautiful miles of Pacific Ocean beach.

Another is Baker Beach on the Presidio—-you can walk almost to the base of the Golden Gate.

And Sausalito on the North end of the Golden Gate—-

And the “Crooked Street in the World”.

Tori Lennox July 15, 2008 at 11:11 am

Hey! A sighting of the mysterious 52!

Rene July 15, 2008 at 11:55 am

I’ll be there for RWA this year. I haven’t been for awhile.

Golden Gate park is a nice visit. I like the De Young museum.

I’m more of a people watcher and a shopper, so my faves are Chinatown, Union Square and Pier 39. I make a special trip to Macy’s and head to the Cellar. Haight Ashbury is fun except I understand the panhandlers are making it difficult to enjoy these days. But there are all kinds of cute shops there.

As others have said, dress in layers. The weather changes on an instant.

MAYBELLINE July 15, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Dear God in Heaven – don’t forget your camera. San Francisco is my favorite city. Golden Gate Park was listed above – lovely. Fort Point is a beautiful place to take awesome pictures. http://www.nps.gov/fopo/

If you go – note the orange speckles all over the place. Then look up. You will be directly under the Golden Gate Bridge. The speckles are paint drops that have fallen from the bridge.

The Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton is a fabulous place to go if you’re a foody. If you’re not, it will be too expensive. I absolutely loved it.

I’m in California; but everything is only a click away anymore. Feel free to contact me if I can help in anyway.

If there’s an earthquake – just enjoy the ride. Most of us do.

mary July 15, 2008 at 1:26 pm

Don’t have any suggestions, but HAVE FUN!
xoxo,
Mary

Suzanne July 15, 2008 at 6:53 pm

The Cliff House!

The Stinking Rose!

Fisherman’s Wharf!

All I think about is food…..

Deb. July 15, 2008 at 7:46 pm

ok, lurker here. You Must check out the blog
nothingbutbonfires.com
she has 2 posts about SF AND she is speaking at blogher. She has loads of dos and don’t bothers. Hope this helps!

Deb. July 15, 2008 at 7:49 pm
Kacey July 15, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Deb!! Thanks for posting that blog. Great info!!

Thank you everyone who gave me suggestions. I even drew 52 out of lurkdom. Must have been a powerful post :mrgreen:

Katharina July 15, 2008 at 8:51 pm

I forgot to say: Whenever I travel without my husband tornadoes follow me around. My kids won’t travel with me anymore.

annbb/TSannie July 15, 2008 at 9:51 pm

You gotta go to Tommy’s restaurant – especially if you have any affinity for tequila – here’s their website: http://www.tommystequila.com/.

You’re so lucky! What a wonderful place to visit! I’ll live vicariously through you.