Count to Ten

by Kay~Kacey on 7/27/2008

Remember when I had all these Indigo Buntings in my backyard? :love:

indigo buntings

Well, now look. One lone Indigo Bunting.

one lone indigo bunting bird

See, SuperGuy read that if you put peppers in the birdfood, it will keep the squirrels away, but the birds like them. Okay, I wasn’t thrilled…in fact I said let’s NOT, we’ve got a good thing going here…but when SuperGuy has his mind made up there’s no stopping him. So into the bird food the peppers went.

Well, the Indigo Buntings went too. They left. All of them except this one lone indigo bunting that got left behind. Sigh. Now, you can try some nonsense like SuperGuy said to try and appease me. “They were just passing through, and migrated away.” Yeah, right. Except for this one poor little lonely guy. Maybe he’ll make friends with the one lone baby turkey?

So I’m just counting to ten so I don’t say I TOLD YOU SO to SuperGuy. One… two… three…

Dru July 27, 2008 at 7:30 am

he looks so lonely.

iPost July 27, 2008 at 7:55 am

Poor, poor, lonely bird. She told you so, Superguy! :sad:

Mental P Mama July 27, 2008 at 9:06 am

I wish we had indigo buntings…even one lone one is so beautiful! I found some pepper suet, and found that the squirrels and blackbirds leave it alone, and the woodpeckers love it! Maybe that’s what Superguy was thinking about;)

Chere July 27, 2008 at 9:39 am

Your blue buntings are, were, glorious. Tell super guy that they make a bird feeder that slides down when the squirrels jump on. No more squirrels.
I found your web site through a friend who has enter your photo contest. Thank you Georgia Rectors. My husband and I are also empty nesters and love it. It is just us, most of the time. It took us all of about 5 seconds to adjust to this new stage in our lives. We live in GA, honey is semi-retired, love to travel, send time at our home in FL, and just have fun. Life is great.
Look forward to visiting you site often.

Kacey July 27, 2008 at 11:12 am

Chere, we’ve tried every “guaranteed” no squirrels bird feeder invented. We must have smart squirrels… I’m not against squirrels per se…but they drive me nuts getting in the bird feeders and tossing out the seed and ripping the feeders up.

Tori Lennox July 27, 2008 at 12:28 pm

We used to grease the poles our feeders hung on. It was hysterical fun watching the squirrels try to climb them. *g*

Suzanne July 27, 2008 at 1:57 pm

I love indigo buntings. I’d get rid of the peppers!

Michelle Willingham July 27, 2008 at 2:25 pm

They are such pretty birds! Sigh.

Suzette July 27, 2008 at 2:43 pm

I’ve led such a sheltered life. I never knew there were SUCH blue birds in the world. I hope they come back!

MAYBELLINE July 27, 2008 at 6:17 pm

I’ve never seen nor heard of these birds. Beautiful.

Connie July 27, 2008 at 6:26 pm

You have taught me 2 new things, first, I never heard of nor seen an Indigo Bunting, and secondly, I didn’t know peppers kept the squirrels away. If I had to choose between the 2 options, I would vote for both the birds and the squirrels. You should show SuperGuy the comments, and then you don’t have to tell him I told you so…the comments can speak for themselves.

Chesapeake Bay Woman July 27, 2008 at 10:28 pm

I didn’t know anything other than weapons of mass destruction kept squirrels away, but the pepper thing is a nice, healthy alternative that I’ll try.

The buntings are gorgeous as are your photos.

Sandra July 30, 2008 at 7:12 am

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an Indigo Bunting before, but they are beautiful. I’m sorry they’ve left and I hope it wasn’t anyone’s fault because of the peppers, because it’s hard for most “anyone’s” to hear “I told you so.” Your “anyone” sounds like he might be a wee bit bull headed just like my “anyone.” :wink: