What can I do to help, Honey?

by Kay~Kacey on 8/4/2008

Yet another post in my series: I do not understand males. At all. Why ask what you can do to help if you’re not going to, you know, actually DO it??

So SuperGuy’s mother is coming to town. Yes, I have to clean up the house so my mother in law doesn’t know the depths of messitude (yes, it is too a word) the house can fall into when I’m blogging and twittering busy.

So I asked The Geeky One–you know, the college graduate who moved home last weekend–to please pick up the remaining piles of stuff he has scattered around the house.

bag of clothes

Like this bag of clothes that has been in the entryway all week. What kind of condition do you think these clothes will be in? I know, I know, it’s a male thing. I asked if they needed to be washed. “No, those are all clean.” Okay…

beer glasses on table

Nor do I need these beer glasses that have been out on the kitchen table all week. 1) I’m past the clunky beer glass stage of my life 2) I drink beer right out of the bottle.

So, moving onto the other male in the house… you know the one. The what-can-I-do-to-help one, SuperGuy.

crossword puzzle books

You could wrap your mother’s birthday present. (we have a deal, he does his side of the family present buying, wrapping, sending and I do mine. When he remembers the deal…)

stuff on kitchen counter

Take your pile of stuff out of the kitchen and put it somewhere. Anywhere. Anywhere out of sight. Oven, freezer, clothes closet. I don’t care. Hide it.

stuff on stairs

Get your stuff off the stairs.

Let me pause for an aside here: Our stairs seem to always be a staging zone. I can’t seem to break anyone of this. Myself included. But I worry when my mother in law is here, that she’ll trip on all the stuff that seems to accumulate here. So I always like it cleared off when she visits.

Clean off the bed

Clean off the bed in the guest room. His desk is in there. He uses the bed as another staging zone. There is no way I’m picking up this stuff and being accused of “where did you put my x, y, z.”

dirty carpet

Okay, and this was ambitious of me :wink: …but I asked him to vacuum the carpet since he tracked in all this sawdust and splinters from his woodworking he was doing in the garage all weekend.

Let’s just say it’s Sunday night when I’m writing this post. I just took all of these pictures. Yes, I know. I’m fully aware that both the males intended to help and do the few things I asked. You know while I cleaned the whole house, did laundry, changed sheets, folded clothes, paid bills, scrubbed floors, cleaned bathrooms, sorted out recyling, overhauled the utility room, cleaned the litter box, scrubbed cabinets, etc, etc. :wallbash:

I love the males in my life. Dearly. But I just do not understand them. And new house rule. Do NOT ask “What can I do to help, honey?” Not unless you mean it.

Amy August 4, 2008 at 7:01 am

Don’t stress, Kacey. All will be well. Hopefully taking all those photos helped to release some stress.

My son leaves for college in less than three weeks. This means no more piles of CLEAN clothes being left where I put them and no more empty cereal boxes in the cabinets. (What’s with that? How difficult is it to just toss the thing in the trash can?)

Mental P Mama August 4, 2008 at 7:59 am

Staging area? I’ll have to remember that one…my son’s entire room is one big staging area for the Red Cross training program. Good luck!

Suzette August 4, 2008 at 8:20 am

I hate to burst your bubble, but – speaking as the mother of an adult daughter living at home (for one more week…yea!) – it’s not just males. No, indeed.

Starwoodgal August 4, 2008 at 8:40 am

I completely understand! My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are both coming to my house this weekend. Hubby and his BIl are going fishing and I have to entertain the ladies. I spent all weekend organizing, cleaning, yardwork, painted lawn furniture, wiped down base boards and I’m still not done. I’m going to clean the carpet this week. I know I’m going overboard, but it just wigs me out. I do understand!

Kacey August 4, 2008 at 9:09 am

Amy, What is up with putting the empty cereal boxes back in the pantry? Then the next comment they make is “we’re out of cereal”. Which I would have known if they’d thrown away the empty box when it was empty…

Tori Lennox August 4, 2008 at 10:44 am

Men are very strange creatures….

Suzanne August 4, 2008 at 11:01 am

Empty milk jugs in the fridge! they do that too!

Kate August 4, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Men! You should have seen me cleaning on Saturday morning. I was in a frenzy to get done before my guests arrived. I can totally relate. I’m the only “girl” in this house, too.

annbb/TSannie August 4, 2008 at 8:14 pm

We seem to be on exactly the same wavelength today. All I have to say is either :wallbash: or :wtf: . They both work for me!

Connie August 4, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Give up trying to understand. Just limit your losses. They are a strange animal, that has taken me a lifetime to study and figure out (I have 5 brothers and 2 sons and a husband that is a big kid) You see the trick is to think like a man, basically don’t think too much.

Why they think every flat surface is storage, it’s because they are L A Z Y.

I wish you all the best in your challenge.

Kristie August 4, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Men! I have 2 at home so I totally understand. Although my ‘men’ are 13 years and 18 months. Perhaps they make similar messes, minues the beer bottles and shot glasses.

MAYBELLINE August 4, 2008 at 10:54 pm