Vacation Souvenirs

by Kay~Kacey on 8/11/2008

So when you go on vacation do you buy souvenirs? Little trinkets to remind you of the trip? We do, we buy coffee mugs, and not just because I’m addicted to like coffee. :wink:

california vacation mugs

We bought two mugs from our recent San Francisco trip.

colorado mug

Here is a mug from a trip to Estes Park, Colorado.

coyote inside mug

And look! It has a cute little coyote inside the mug. I love mugs that have a cute little pic inside of them.

cow mug

I also receive mugs as presents. This one is from SuperGuy. I know, I know, but our family has a thing for cows. But that, my friends, is a post for another day.

cute cow mug

Yes, yet another cute picture inside the mug. Love that. Though SuperGuy insists that left handed people are discriminated against with these pic-inside-the-mug mugs. :roll: They are only printed on one side of the inside. So you only see them if you drink right handed. Oh, the injustice of it all!!

crabby coffee cup

The Geeky One thought he was ever so clever when he bought me this coffee mug… I have NO IDEA what he’s talking about!!

So I considered getting a Lake of the Ozarks mug while I’m here on vacation with all the boys. But really, let’s be honest…do you think there is much chance at all of it getting home without being broken??

So, do you collect anything when you’re on vacations? My brother-in-law collects shot glasses from places they visit. Now that would be handy given my new addiction like of martinis. How about you? T-shirts? Postcards? What is your vacation souvenir of choice?

Amy August 11, 2008 at 6:49 am

Art … always art. I love the coffee mug idea, though. It’s certainly a lot cheaper (than art), and one can never have too many mugs!

Kacey August 11, 2008 at 7:32 am

One can never have too many mugs! You are so right, Amy!!

Dru August 11, 2008 at 7:36 am

I like refridgerator magnets.

Treasia August 11, 2008 at 7:54 am

We started collecting postcards from the various places Trucker delivers to. As well as T-shirts. Love your coffee mugs though.

Chere August 11, 2008 at 8:25 am

I collect Christmas decorations. It can be anything that states the place we are visiting. I have so many now I could decorate a whole tree with travel only. It is fun to have something to remind us of places we visit. :coffee2:

Tori Lennox August 11, 2008 at 9:39 am

I’ve never seen mugs with pictures inside before! They’re so cute!

I used to collect those brown glass mugs with the wooden handles but they weren’t very practical and they take up a lot of room. So now I settle for collecting postcards.

Debra Rector August 11, 2008 at 10:22 am

A agree with Amy. We also collect art from each of our travels. But always in the way of wall art. Our foyer is long and the walls are covered with maps and original artwork that showcase the locations we visit. We call it our “memory wall”. It draws a lot of attention from guests asking, “Did you really travel to all these places?” We started this tradition 20 years ago while on our honeymoon.

Beckynsc August 11, 2008 at 10:48 am

We collect shot glasses, postcards and patches.

Melissa Marsh August 11, 2008 at 2:05 pm

I really don’t collect anything on my vacations (probably because I take so few of them) but I do like to get different odds and ends that I could never find anywhere else.

Shirley August 11, 2008 at 2:24 pm

I collect rocks. And I ask people to bring me a small rock rather than something they would spend money on.

Kate August 11, 2008 at 2:43 pm

I’m not a real souvenir collector. I have way too many coffee mugs that we’ve bought over the years and have been given as gifts and most of them are in a box in the garage. It’s sad. When we travel, I just take pictures. And then I put them in frames. I may buy some local art, as well.

Mental P Mama August 11, 2008 at 3:09 pm

I get flip flops. I actually want to marry some of my flip flops. :beer:

iPost August 11, 2008 at 3:22 pm

Postcards myself! I don’t keep them though. I send them out to all of my postcrossing buddies around the world. I usually just bring home photos!

Suzanne August 11, 2008 at 6:45 pm

Coffee cups, t-shirts, and always always a fridge magnet!!

Deb. August 11, 2008 at 8:58 pm

I try to get something I love and is genuine from the area, plus I have a HUGE collection of shot glasses. My last trip = Mexico, I purchased a large handcarved turtle, shell jewelry that an old local lady was selling at a road side restaurant and pottery vase and a painted iquana. at the resort I made several beach purchases from the venders there- sarongs and embroidered dresses for gifts. oh yes, tequila!

Crazy Daisy August 13, 2008 at 2:41 pm

When I was little, my parents started getting me collector spoons when we were on vacation, and the tradition has stuck! Who knows how many of them I have! My husband started collecting mugs when we got married and I insisted he collect something on our journey.

We also get a bit of sand from all the beaches go to and put them in a jar. It is a fun collection to display!

Mike Lyons March 19, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Crabby till I get my coffee mug crab mug. I want to buy maybe 24 or more. Where to buy in quantity. No City or State names…
…Mike