I Like Pink

by Kay~Kacey on 8/16/2008

Really, I like pink. I like it a lot. Pink is great protection against too much testosterone in the house. So, you’ll just excuse this little rant, won’t you?

Dear Retail Stores,

(yes, this means ALL of you! Linens and Things, Walmart, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Kohls…just to name a few…)

There are moms who have BOYS who are going to college this month too. Surprisingly, not all incoming Freshmen are females. Honest.

The males? They are not interested in pink sheets with lime green stripes. They aren’t into the whole brown with bright blue circle thing. They aren’t into fluffy bedspreads. Or zebra stripes. So, I realize that most females think that decorating their dorm rooms is a big deal…and most of the boys might not be that into it. But more than a handful…or none at all… in the not pink, no circles, no lime green selection of sheets would be nice.

PLEASE can you just make some good old gray sheets? Or black ones? Heck, I’d take beige at this point. Oh, and if you don’t mind? Dorms=twin sized sheets. So those over abundance of bright pink and lime king-sized sheets? Yeah, I don’t think they’re really going to sell very well for you.

My last babies are headed off to college, so this rant won’t help me one bit. But I send this letter to you, stupid retail stores in hopes of making it easier on the mothers of sons that follow me in their quest for just one darn set of twin sized sheets their son won’t be embarrassed to have on his bed.

Helpful hint to clueless retail stores…Males need sheets to go to college too.

Ever the helpful,
Kacey

P.S. To those moms out there with daughters who are making sure their bath towels match their sheets and match their bedspreads… :rofl: At least I don’t have to worry about that!

iPost August 16, 2008 at 8:02 am

i am glad i don’t have to think about ANY of it :smile: Yet. :neutral:

Mental P Mama August 16, 2008 at 8:08 am

I have some old Thomas the Train sheets I could send you;)

Amy August 16, 2008 at 9:22 am

Yes, Kacey, we should be grateful we have sons. It will save us a lot of money in the long run. No weddings, no coordinated linens … we’re fortunate. Oh, yes, there is less drama, too.

I ordered Rhett’s linens through rhl.com. His college has a contract with them. It’s a pretty good deal, AND they have colors that guys like. Rhett’s sheets are black and white.

Kacey August 16, 2008 at 9:38 am

Oh, right, Amy NOW you tell me about the online place. I actually did finally find some grey jersey/tshirty material sheets. Finally. After looking at a bazillion stores. I was threatening to send him with Mario Brothers sheets…

Tori Lennox August 16, 2008 at 10:54 am

I constantly find retailers baffling in their selections.

Amy A August 16, 2008 at 11:55 am

I totally have my kids trained to use WHITE sheets. Then they can add whatever color duvet cover they want. For the cover, we just buy sheets and sew them together. You just need plain-colored twin sheets. Get away from the “student” stuff and head to the regular bedding section.

Kacey August 16, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Amy…no white twin sheets in the store either. Unbelievable. Though I’m thinking a boy who likes to walk barefoot + white sheets would be kinda gross…

Treasia August 16, 2008 at 1:02 pm

I’ve never thought about this to be honest but I can see where a problem would be. Most twin size sheets are SpongeBob, Little Mermaid, and such. Not exactly what college students want either. Glad you did finally find something that will work. And happy to say I’ve got a girl. :rofl:

Caroline August 16, 2008 at 1:30 pm

My husband travels in the summer to coach camps and stays in college dorms. Being scatter-brained, he often forgets sheets and winds up in the same dilema. What does he come home with? Nascar and Bob the Builder sheets. Yes, even for my 35 yo husband going away to college every summer, give us some decent options! Please!

vodkamom August 16, 2008 at 6:02 pm

And now I’ve discovered YOU! First- Love the header!!! Second- love the sheet shit. love it.

mama's losin' it August 16, 2008 at 10:38 pm

I have a ways to go before I’m worrying about this…but thanks for paving the way!!

Kate August 16, 2008 at 10:41 pm

I slit a sheet.
A sheet I slit.
And on that slitted sheet . . .

:lips:

MAYBELLINE August 16, 2008 at 11:19 pm

My best source is jcp.com
They have all kinds of twin XL sheets. I would shop online and have everything delivered to the dorm. I suggest ordering white sheets that will soon move to grey and black as time goes by. Eventually, they could return to white. It’s kind of magical. :rofl:

annbb/TSannie August 16, 2008 at 11:57 pm

As you should well know, by Christmas break your boys won’t even remember they actually went to college with their very own sheets and towels…it’s good in a very bad sort of way…

Flea August 17, 2008 at 1:48 am

We moved a year and a half ago and I had to buy my 12 year old boy sheets. I feel your pain! It was so hard to find something non-girly. We wound up with gray flannel from Kohl’s and a navy comforter set from Wally world (having looked everywhere else).

Chere August 18, 2008 at 10:05 pm

Just make sure that you send white towels and white sheets. Dark, colored towels fade on every thing. If you sons do laundry it will help. Of course mine always brought his home. He now has his own W/D and hopefully doing his own. I have not seen him in pink t-shirt in awhile.

jeanne mollie August 21, 2008 at 2:57 pm

I found some decent bedding sets for boys/men at this store http://www.justhomedecor.com/estoreusa/home.php?Bedding+sets My son got one set for his own bedroom and he likes it.