Random Thoughts on Independence

by Kay~Kacey on 8/20/2008

My son’s independence, and my independence.

I’m writing this on Tuesday afternoon. Here is the pile of things that The Impish One has ready to go to college. You know. Leaving Wednesday morning.

packing for college

Yes, I know. Disengage.

I’m fully aware he will actually be packed up some time on Wednesday to be driven to college. I’m trying to bite my tongue and let him do it on his schedule. (if males really ever do have a schedule for anything…) Do males ever do anything in advance? Well, the ones in my house don’t.

Ah, well. Maybe this is a bit of a start of my independence too… let him figure out the whole packing for college thing. Think he’ll remember to pack towels??

Any guesses on what he will forget to bring with him?? Check my Twitter on Wednesday and I’ll keep you updated on the big move to college…

EDITED TO ADD: If you’re not on Twitter but want to follow my adventure today, I added my twitter updates to my sidebar see?? —>

Mental P Mama August 20, 2008 at 7:19 am

I believe that testosterone renders them incapable of any form of working with a schedule. Whatsoever. :angry:

Amy August 20, 2008 at 7:43 am

We’re leaving in a few minutes ourselves. Rhett did his own packing, but it was somewhat last minute. I do think it’s a male thing. Good luck today … to both of us!

Suzanne August 20, 2008 at 8:14 am

Good luck today!

ELK August 20, 2008 at 8:42 am

Kacey I saw your photo on SS and wanted to let you know that I sent my daughter off yesterday …she is a junior..it is getting easier!?….great post!

Gayle August 20, 2008 at 8:43 am

I just found you through Shutter Sisters. Your “The Face in the Mirror” post had tears running down my face. My oldest is entering 10th grade this year (youngest entering 6th grade) and it’s starting to hit me that before I know it, my three babies will be off on their own. Thank you for putting this so beautifully into words.

Kacey August 20, 2008 at 9:01 am

Welcome Elk and Gayle! It’s a hard day today, that’s for sure. We’re leaving soon. You know, as soon as “we’re” packed…

I added my Twitter Updates to my sidebar if you want to follow along today with my day. Hopefully I’ll be able to add photos from my cell phone to my Twitter Posts. We’ll see if I can figure that out.

Starwoodgal August 20, 2008 at 9:03 am

I see a trip to Wal-Mart in your very near future.

Good luck on the road trip!

Melissa Marsh August 20, 2008 at 10:48 am

Oh boy. Why does this not surprise me? Boys, boys, boys… :mrgreen:

vodkamom August 20, 2008 at 2:50 pm

I just took Bitchy and her stuff to her dorm!!!! Unfortunately she came home because she can’t actually stay until Friday. We SCREAMED at each other the whole way there (okay, 10 blocks) and we’ve been fighting all afternoon. I am throwing a HUGE party Friday, about 10:00 a.m. Bloody Mary’s all around. Come on over.

Slick August 20, 2008 at 4:07 pm

I do some stuff in advance…

Like here in georgia, you can’t buy beer on Sundays. I always go shopping on Saturdays.

See?