The Menacing Deer

by Kay~Kacey on 8/27/2008

Remember when I said I wanted more babies?? Well, I got some turkey babies. BUT WAIT!!

Look!!!

I finally saw some BABY DEER!!!

baby deer

Aren’t they cute??

baby deer in woods

This little one saw me taking her picture.

mama and baby deer

Then Mama Deer saw me and they were gone…

So, as I think I said before, I live in a big city. In the suburbs. But I back up to a county park. So I have all this great wildlife right out my window. But some of the townships around us are having problems with the menacing deer. The deer are eating up home owner’s flowers. :roll: Yes, I have that here, but it’s the price I pay for living close to the woods. Whatever. So one of the townships wants to allow HUNTING. In. The. Suburbs. Yes, that sounds like a great suggestion, doesn’t it?? Gun hunting. Bullets. Right.

Another suggestion is catch and release, but I understand the survival rate on that is terrible. Another suggestion is bow hunting. I don’t know the answer, because I do know the deer population has really grown and there are a lot of car accidents now with deer bounding across roads and getting hit. Damage to people, deer, and car. Wounded animals wondering around. Okay, I realize there is a problem…but can’t anyone come up with a sensible solution?? Well, more sensible than GUNS in the SUBURBS?

Mental P Mama August 27, 2008 at 7:08 am

So sad. We have the same issues. A mother deer had to be put down in the middle of Westport the other day…and her twin fawns are left on their own. I think the neighbor people are feeding them. So sad this circle of life…

Blogarita August 27, 2008 at 7:09 am

I think I asked before, but are we in the same city? I’m certain I heard on the news ( :blah: ) that one of our suburbs wants to allow deer hunting within its city limits.

Or maybe this a problem in other cities as well. :?:

Flea August 27, 2008 at 7:13 am

I don’t think shooting at anything near my house and children sounds like a good idea, unless it’s someone trying to harm us. Deer? Your photos are darling.

Jacque Ruch August 27, 2008 at 7:18 am

I live near a state park…and we see deer frequently. In our city they have bow hunting to control the population, but ONLY in the park…and only a few weeks a year, until they feel the population has been controlled. Seems to me if they allow hunting, it should be bow hunting and only in the wooded areas.

Treasia August 27, 2008 at 7:53 am

The deer are just beautiful. Love those babies.

Suzanne August 27, 2008 at 8:10 am

ack. I don’t know what the solution is, but I wouldn’t feel safe about people hunting in a park that is near houses and children!

ELK August 27, 2008 at 8:11 am

such a face on that baby–priceless!

Kelly Boyce August 27, 2008 at 8:23 am

Hunting in the burbs? Yeah…that’ll end well.

:roll:

Suzette August 27, 2008 at 8:42 am

Why don’t they put out feed that’s really yummy to attract the deer away from the flowers?

You can tell I don’t know diddly about deer OR wildlife management. I just hate to see anything hurt – even if it is for all the right reasons.

mary August 27, 2008 at 8:58 am

Same here. We have had controlled bow hunting in certain areas for a few years now. No bad incidents so far. There was some talk of capture and sterilization, but I don’t recall whether that was actually applied… Of course, the real solution would have been to curb development, but our town was run for years by real estate agents, so you know how that worked out…

Love your pictures! They are pests, but cute ones!
xoxo,
Mary

Michelle Willingham August 27, 2008 at 9:25 am

Oh, look at the cute little Bambis! :) I’d vote for catch and release, rather than guns in the suburbs. Hello?? :wtf:

Dru August 27, 2008 at 10:21 am

they are adorable. i dont think guns are a solution

iPost August 27, 2008 at 10:22 am

Um, relocate them and then shoot them? :shock: That is a tough one, especially when they are such cute creatures!

Tori Lennox August 27, 2008 at 11:53 am

Oh, they are darling!!!

But hunting with guns in the ‘burbs? Bad. Idea!!!

Kacey August 27, 2008 at 12:09 pm

They came up with sterilizng them too, with some kind of darts. But evidently that doesn’t work well either. Bow hunting in controlled areas at specific times might be doable. At least you’d know to stay away from the woods and keep your kids in during those times. I don’t know.

But aren’t they CUTE?? Even if the suckers do eat up all my tuiips!!

mp August 27, 2008 at 1:35 pm

I am OK w/ bow hunting, especially it’s controlled..you don’t need a yahoo in your yard…a controlled hunt. I’d rather someone have deer meet than Bambi’s nephew end up in someones in ground pool upside down.. yeah, that is happening.

annbb/TSannie August 27, 2008 at 5:44 pm

Same problem here – and we live SOUTH of I-95! They are beautiful, tho. I was just telling Mental P and jules that last night Stella suddenly stood up and stared out the kitchen window. In my front yard were three tiny deer, still with their spots, crossing over it. It was beautiful!

Good photos of such beautiful creatures, Kacey!

(BTW – Have you been to Booche’s in Columbia? If not, ya gotta go!)

dlyn August 27, 2008 at 6:15 pm

Great photos. Not crazy about catch and release though – they release them out here by us and trust me, we have WAY more than we need now. I wonder why sterilization doesn’t work?

Kacey August 27, 2008 at 6:54 pm

annie!! Booche’s…pool? Cold beer? Good burgers??

Kate August 27, 2008 at 7:14 pm

They use the dart sterlization on the wild deer at Assateague Island National Seashore, in Maryland. It’s better than bow or gun. It depends on how huge the park is, but I don’t know the answer to this dilemna.

Your photos sure are beautiful, though.

Maria August 27, 2008 at 9:12 pm

What a dilemna. I think there must be a way to sterilize that works. With all the great minds in our country, surely someone could come up with a sterilization program that would work.