Plethora of Portulaca

by Kay~Kacey on 9/5/2008

Plethora of Portulaca, that’s what we having going now. (I love the word plethora. Use it a lot. Who knew Kate used it too?) She also uses Ding Dang Diddly…which I promptly STOLE from her and I’m now driving SuperGuy nuts using it All. The. Time. :crazy2:

Remember when I wrote about Portulaca Paradise…a bit tongue in check because only one flower box had actually produced any flowers? Well, finally, FINALLY (at the end of the summer!) we have more portulaca blooming.

long flower box

The long flower box on the back deck filled out. Some. I still think these portulaca make a weak showing here.

portulaca flower box

The flower box at the end of the deck filled out nicely, but you don’t really see it unless you’re headed down the deck stairs… :roll:

plethora of portulaca

I’ll admit they are colorful.

portulaca closeup

The actual blooms themselves are very pretty.

They just don’t fill out nicely and spread out enough. Not to mention it’s now September and they are just now starting to look nice…wonder how long until our first freeze…

Next year I’m holding out for petunias! It’s my year to pick. Is so, SuperGuy! Besides my grandmother always planted a plethora of petunias, so it’s a feel good flower for me.

So, what’s one of your favorite “weird” words or sayings that you use?

iPost September 5, 2008 at 6:16 am

i love portulaca, but you are right. i tried to them in a deck box as well and was less than thrilled with their performance. However, i LOVE them in my rock garden where they creep around the rocks and other plants nicely. :love:

Flea September 5, 2008 at 7:26 am

I love the moss rose, but not so much the petunia. Carpet phlox – now THERE’S a flower to be reckoned with in spring!

Favorite word … don’t think I have one. I’ll have to ask the kids when they get home.

Gayle September 5, 2008 at 7:39 am

Embarrassingly my latest weird thing to say is adding (-licious) onto all kinds of words. I got this dumb habit from seeing a Cheetah Girls interview on Disney. They like to say, “Cheetah-licious”. So, I’ll call our dogs “puppa-licious”, my kids “sweetie-licious” and so on. Yeah, very weird.

superguy September 5, 2008 at 8:08 am

my favorite word is portulaca.

This Eclectic Life September 5, 2008 at 8:17 am

How about a plethora of portulaca AND petunias? At the Fort Worth Zoo, they have a lot of those long boxes and mix different flowers in them (tiny ferns, Sweet Williams, portulaca, petunias, marigolds, etc…). It looks great, because there is something blooming all the time. I’ve always wanted to try that. Try it for me and I can live vicariously (I love the word “vicarious,” although “plethora” is a good $10 word, too).

Kacey September 5, 2008 at 8:25 am

I saw that SuperGuy. Don’t go trying to sway public opinion and get people to vote for portulaca again next year. Isn’t going to happen!

Gayle–licious! I love that. Might have to steal that too.

Oh, vicarious is one of those great words too!

Mental P Mama September 5, 2008 at 8:39 am

lol Superguy. I like the portulaca, but petunias are so bountiful. I like the word bountiful. And behoove. It would behoove Superguy to let Kacey plant her bountiful petunias. The end. :blah:

mp September 5, 2008 at 9:43 am

I too use plethora! It’s a great word! I tend to use Groovy a lot..I don’t use it as much on my blog as I do in real life.
Those flowers are so cute..hopefully they will stick w/you until the first frost.

mp September 5, 2008 at 9:44 am

…Ooooo
Libation

Actually learned that word in HS..it was in a reading or gospel..
my friends and I used to call for Libation Frustration

Tori Lennox September 5, 2008 at 9:50 am

Sorry, SuperGuy, but I’ve gotta side with Kacey and the petunias. *g*

Favorite word/phrase? Hmm. I’m rather fond of “What’s up with that?” Okay, I’m more than just fond of it. I use it A LOT.

ELK September 5, 2008 at 2:27 pm

plethora – I am a scrabble nut and this is a high scoring word!

phrase “It’s all good!” trying to convince myself along with whoever i am saying it to…

have a blooming good weekend…it’s all good!

Suzanne September 5, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Scamper! And clamber! and frolic! Love those words.

Sandra September 5, 2008 at 3:35 pm

I like plethora too. But, my favorite word is probably ort. Hubby used it in Scrabble once and I self-righteously challenged him on it. How humbling when he showed it to me in the dictionary! (means scraps that fall from the table) Dumb crossword puzzles. They give him all kinds of obscure (I like that word) words to use to beat me in Scrabble! Only problem with my now favorite word, ort, is that there aren’t many opportunities to use it in conversation.

“Get your plethora of ort off my floor! It’s not as obscure as you might think there under your chair!”
My kind of sentence.

Kate September 5, 2008 at 5:45 pm

I love vocabulary and I’m glad to give you my weird word combinations, with apologies to Super Guy for the DDD one, ok?
Portulaca is fine, but petunias in this space would be divine. I’m also a poet, but you didn’t know it.

Well, until now. And I love the word cornucopia and bountiful. I love licking lollipops, too. :beer:
(insert wine glass where beer mugs are)

Amy September 5, 2008 at 6:42 pm

I have to stop using the phrase “too many cooks in the kitchen.” I use this a lot at work when referring to too many people attending meetings (when only a few are truly needed).

Michelle Willingham September 5, 2008 at 7:06 pm

Beautiful flowers, Kacey!

Okay, I’ll confess. My husband has a favorite phrase that makes me laugh. It’s: “Well, slap my @ss and call me Susan.”

Coming from a NASA engineer… :rofl:

vodkamom September 5, 2008 at 7:34 pm

oh my gosh, I ALWAYS use the word plethora… it just rolls of the tongue…

and always have loved portulaca…