The Siren Call of a Pretty Notebook

by Kay~Kacey on 9/15/2008

Yes, I’m confessing it here for all of you to see…

claire fontaine notebook

I’m addicted to notebooks.

black n' red notebook

I love ClaireFontaine or Red n’ Black notebooks. Especially when I’m using a fountain pen. (another addiction of mine.) They have the BEST paper for using fountain pens.

spiral notebooks

But I’m not a slave to just those brands. I’m easy. :roll: I pick notebooks up everywhere. Walmart. Office Supply stores. Barnes and Noble clearance shelves.

pink notebook

I can’t help myself. Sometimes a pretty face just catches my attention. Isn’t the cover of this one grand? I love how the light reflects off of it.

floral notebooks

Always spiral. They have to go all the way flat or they bug me when I write in them. I have them scattered all over my house and whole big old stack of them on my desk. One in the drawer in my bed table. Well, honestly, it’s a bit out of control. I have one notebook I keep right next to my computer that holds my weekly/daily to do list. Another one that I write quick notes about my website, photography…well, anything I don’t want to forget.

They have to be pretty. Or silly. Always spiral.

I know, I know. It’s a sickness. I can’t say no to a pretty notebook that crosses my path. How about you? What’s your Achilles heel? The one thing you can’t say no to when see/hear its siren call?

Mental P Mama September 15, 2008 at 6:46 am

Purty! :love:

Sandra September 15, 2008 at 7:32 am

I love pretty notebooks too, but I’ve always felt a little “frivolous” collecting them because I always bought the hard cover “journaling” ones, and I don’t journal! I had never thought about looking for interesting spiral ones! Right now I use plain ol’ lined tablets of paper in the places you use these — how boring! I see much prettier “note taking” in my future! Thanks for the idea.

mary September 15, 2008 at 8:49 am

Oh Lord, I probably have too many Achilles heels to mention. LOL Love your notebooks, though. I’m thinking I ought to get one, just to be more organinzed…

How’s the weather treating you, kacey? Everything OK?

xoxo,
Mary

iPost September 15, 2008 at 9:12 am

Oh my gosh. We are sisters in the journal sickness. I actually have the same one you do…the one with all the Victorian children…how funny is that? As a matter of fact, i was just looking at them in the store AGAIN yesterday. *sigh* :wink:

Tori Lennox September 15, 2008 at 9:23 am

What pretty notebooks! I’m guessing books in general don’t qualify as an Achille’s Heel.

Katharina September 15, 2008 at 10:17 am

Oh, yes, I love notebooks. Can’t stay out of the office supply area in any given store. Couldn’t get along with any of the so called organizers. Found that notebooks are so much better for my purposes. I have them scattered around the house, but have narrowed down to two, no, three for specific lists, purposes and planning. The rest are for quote, thoughts, sketches and fun.

I also bring home fabric for sewing and much to my husband’s chagrin, musical instruments including two pump organs, one that I am rebuilding.

Kate September 15, 2008 at 10:30 am

Sounds like Mel Gibson in the movie “Conspiracy Theory” when he bought all the Catcher in the Rye books.

For me it’s picture frames. It’s sort of a problem, but not all that bad. I also have a problem with tea. I have so much tea :lips:

My Mélange September 15, 2008 at 11:39 am

Hey Kasey:

I am a total notebook geek. I love collecting them- and all my blog ideas fill the pages:)

And I am a self confessed wino- so I’ll be checking back with ya

Kacey September 15, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Hi Robin, welcome! You guys should check out My Melange’s site. Just click on the link in the above comment. Wonderful blog!

Now, Kate, I don’t think I’m as obsessive as Mel Gibson was in Conspiracy Theory. Maybe…

Katharina…you win. Bringing home musical instruments! Wow.

iPost, funny that we have the same notebook!! It IS a sickness, isn’t it??

Sandra, obviously it’s frivolous because I could never use up all the notebooks I already have…but it doesn’t stop me from buying new ones!

Gayle September 15, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Hi Kasey, I hope the photos in this post mean that your camera survived the water damage.

I would say that yarn is my weakness. It’s so pretty, I will buy it without a project in mind. I have to stay out of yarn stores. We need to save all the money we can for sending three kids to college!

Michelle Willingham September 15, 2008 at 12:45 pm

Probably chocolate. Love, love, love it. :) But I’m also a sucker for a baby who wants to be picked up. :mrgreen:

Melissa Marsh September 15, 2008 at 2:06 pm

I’m addicted to anything paper-related. I was into Barnes and Noble yesterday and had to go look at their journal section. So, so many gorgeous ones to pick from! Alas, I didn’t buy any…

ELK September 15, 2008 at 2:13 pm

does this count …bracelets… any kind but preferably something thin and dainty that makes the thinest part of me still that!!

Suzanne September 15, 2008 at 4:30 pm

I love notebooks! I always have a couple pretty ones. Not as many as you!!

annbb/TSannie September 15, 2008 at 10:32 pm

Notebooks…pens…lables….paper….
Give me Staples or Office Max and I can have a very satisfying experience….every time! I just love all things notebook/pens/papers/etc.!
Right there with ya, Kacey – understand completely.

MAYBELLINE September 15, 2008 at 10:35 pm

Tom Selleck. I can (could) never say no to him! :mrgreen:

Colleen September 15, 2008 at 11:48 pm

You can never have too many shoes or good cookbooks! I always thought everybody had a lot of notebooks. They certainly are cheaper than shoes! Easier to stack, too.

sweet jane September 16, 2008 at 9:38 am

I’m right there with ya on the notebook fetish… I even make my own. Last winter I made so many, I started giving them away as gifts. I even tried making a coptic bound notebook so it would be flat… it was a bomb but I think I’ll try it again.

I’m a bit of a dork about pens too… love red ones the best!

MAPAGE September 17, 2008 at 12:32 am

As a little girl in elementary school I LOVED the smell of memeography pages that the teacher ran off…this was before Xerox. I coveted her RED pencils. Well I grew up and spent 33 years teaching . I loved having every color marking pen made, and the good excuse for having them. I scoured the Back-to-School advertisement looking for “deals” on exciting folders to buy for my students. Well I’ve been retired now for 8 years and cannot go into one of the “big box” supply stores without having a tingle of excitement looking at all those glorious colors of markers, folders and stuff. I still have oodles of “office” supplies but I just do not have a justafible excuse for buying !!!
them!!!

I cannot begin to comment on cameras and lenses…too many to count, but my first teaching paycheck went toward a Minolta SLR 101!!!