I Know I’m Lucky

by Kay~Kacey on 9/16/2008

Ike packed a punch here. Over 800 miles away from Galveston. I know there are people who lost their homes. People who lost their LIVES…heck a lady died here from a tree falling on her, and a girl over in Columbia died trying to save someone in a flooded out car. 800 miles from Galveston! All this loss breaks my heart.

So this post sounds a little whiny. I realize that. But it also makes me realize how very lucky I am.

So I’ll get on to my Ike story. Who knew that 800 miles away it would cause me such aggravation?

First it cracked the skylight in our bathroom. Okay, expensive to replace, but it’s still not leaking so I can deal with that. Then it did something to the roof over my office. The skylight got hit or something.

leaking skylight

It dumped water all over my desk. You’ve seen how much stuff I pile on my desk. All my work spread out there. My CAMERA. (which, as you can see from this post, still works, thank goodness). It ruined all the forms that I use daily in my real job. It destroyed a few files that I won’t be able to actually recreate. :wallbash:

papers spread out in family room

I spread everything out in the family room to dry. This photo is after 24 hours!! of drying, pitching and sorting through things. SuperGuy said “that doesn’t look too bad.” :mad2: Yeah, well, he won’t make stupid remarks like that again after I’ve spent hours trying to figure out where I even am with all the paperwork and what is lost.

stacks of work

I have stacks of work everywhere. But look closely here…my $$zoom lens didn’t get wet!! :love:

piled on floor

I have things piled on the floor, just trying to sort through it. (next to the unopened WiiFit…which I havent had time to set up, but really should open up and USE.)

redoing the paperwork

So I’m slowly recreating all the forms I need for my job. Reprinting them. Retyping anything I didn’t have on the computer. Making new manila folders and hanging folders. Slowly figuring out what goes with what. I need to get this all dealt with so I can, you know, get back to actually working. (Yes, yes, I know. I took time out to take photos and write this post. I’m not CRAZY you know. Couldn’t pass up an opportunity to blog about this!)

Back to my story. . .Oh, what do you see there? An envelope with a recycled ink cartridge in it? Well, yes, I recycle my ink cartridges…do you?? Karma Points ™ you know. Which, getting back to my point, is there because OF COURSE my printer ran out of ink…and I had no new cartridge sitting around…so I had to stop and go out and buy one. Isn’t that how it always is??

iMac on desk

But my beloved iMac was fine. A few splashes on it, but no damage. :typing:

I guess I should mention that the basement flooded too and SuperGuy spent an hour down there sucking up water with the wet/dry vac. Well, after The Geeky One and I picked up everything we could off the floor and tried to set it up high. But this post is about MY dealing with Ike, not SuperGuy’s. :wink: Besides, I’m still pretty ticked off about the “that’s not so bad” remark he made…

Anyway, things like this, as aggravating as they are, make you really realize how lucky you are. We have electricity, water, internet, a house for goodness sake…and our lives. I count my blessings.

So, Ike, you were a real jerkface, but I’m SO over you. And I realize how terribly lucky I am to be in a position that I can be over you.

Gabrielle September 16, 2008 at 5:25 am

Wow, glad the lens and imac made it through ok! Sucky about the rest. Good riddance, Ike!! :biteme:

Amy September 16, 2008 at 7:04 am

Having lived through three hurricanes, I am grateful to say that my house never received any damage. That’s pretty amazing considering the number of tall trees surrounding my home. Our city has been spared from the big boys; we’ve only had Category 1 storms, and I hope it stays that way. Like you, my heart truly bleeds for those people in Galveston.

LauraP September 16, 2008 at 7:43 am

Like you, I’m grateful Ike was just an annoyance by the time it got to us. Big hugs on the damage from the leaks.

Sandra September 16, 2008 at 7:45 am

Well said.

Gayle September 16, 2008 at 7:52 am

Thank goodness the camera, the lens and the computer are dry!

Mental P Mama September 16, 2008 at 9:44 am

I know you are lucky, but damn that sucks! Hope your repairs aren’t too brutal… :eek:

Tori Lennox September 16, 2008 at 10:43 am

You guys had more damage than we did and we’re closer to the Gulf! Weird, isn’t it? I swear Ike picked up steam after he came ashore. He certainly was cranky, anyway.

Flea September 16, 2008 at 11:09 am

WOW. All the way on the east coast? Amazing. But I’m SO GLAD to hear that the camera and computer made it through alive and well!

Flea September 16, 2008 at 11:10 am

Wait, wait, wait. I’m sorry. My internal GPS is off. I have no idea where you live. :)

Katharina September 16, 2008 at 11:58 am

Yea, we got about 12″ of rain along the Great Lakes here, half was courtesy of Ike. This makes two hurricanes and an earthquake up here this year. I’m hoping no volcanos pop up out of a corn field suddenly! Hey, it has happened you know.

Crystal Jigsaw September 16, 2008 at 12:17 pm

I love the emoticons, I want them! Flooding has gone all in so many places of late, causing devastation to many homes. We are lucky too.

CJ xx

SUPERGUY September 16, 2008 at 12:34 pm

“What else does it say on the box?” A great line from a current cereal comercial where a guy digs himself into an increasing hole. Somehow seems like an appropriate thing to say at this juncture. the answer is: “The box says for superguy to shut up now”.

Kacey September 16, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Yes, what else DOES it say on the box?? Since you’ve now made TWO remarks about the mess not being so bad…

Suzanne September 16, 2008 at 2:41 pm

I’m so glad your camera and computer stuff was okay! Like, what else matters?? :)

mp September 16, 2008 at 3:01 pm

WOW…I was really surprised how strong the wind still was.. It was Sunday morning and I couldn’t sleep in.. wah wah ..I’m just saying..that is loud.

Personally I didn’t have any issue but all around me.. OMG the flooding. We were very lucky.

I’m sorry for your west office. :sad:

vodkamom September 16, 2008 at 4:55 pm

I’ll be RIGHT over with a drink.

(yeah, i do the ink thing, too)

Barb September 16, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Man, what a bummer. I’m sorry about the water damage, but so glad to hear the camera and lens weren’t harmed.

DesertHen September 16, 2008 at 8:10 pm

So sorry to hear that you have had to deal with a mess…..you are right tho about being very lucky when others were not.

I found your site through midlife by farmlight and have been reading now off and on for a while. I really like your blog///////////// :grin:

I could always send you a nice bottle of wine….you could have a glass while you are redoing all of those papers……….

iPost September 16, 2008 at 8:27 pm

That sucks, but you are right…it could have been worse. Thank God it wasn’t. We missed Ike (thank goodness) but had damage from Hannah. Nothing with the house, but trees down and fence damage in the pastures. Glad all will be well soon.

Kate September 16, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Wow. I had no idea, really. So sad for so many. And you’re, right. You are lucky.

Suzette September 16, 2008 at 9:45 pm

You poor thing! Well, at least you have your limbs and loved ones, and when it comes down to it…that’s all that really matters. Up here in Tennessee, we got a lot of wind and rain. A neighbor lost a tree. I think this one had some hidden energy somewhere.

annbb/TSannie September 16, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Glad you fared as well as you did! Amazing how much damage Ike did! Mom and Dad are out of Columbia so didn’t even hear of the girl that lost her life – so very sad!

Thank GOD for the powers that be that spared your mac and camera! That would have been too much to bear!

MAYBELLINE September 16, 2008 at 10:08 pm

Could you please send any of your unwanted rain out here to Californina? We would welcome every drop.

Barb September 17, 2008 at 12:25 am

Kacey, I stubbled upon you somehow…I LOVE your Blog! It’s so filled with fun! Even in your devastation from Ike, you make it fun! I’m so sorry for the losses everyone faced…I can’t imagine!
We too would take away some of that moisture if you are through with it!
On to reading more of your earlier posts!

This Eclectic Life September 17, 2008 at 12:22 pm

You know, it’s good that we can realize how lucky we have been. A small bit of a whine like this one is OK, I think, since you realize that it’s all about perspective.

Sorry you had to deal with it though. Danged hurricanes!

Michelle Willingham September 17, 2008 at 1:56 pm

I am so glad you guys were okay. Papers can be replaced, but not good friends.

Stephenjamieson.Newsvine.Com May 27, 2014 at 5:31 pm

What do you think about using meta headings on blog posts?

I heard told me to not bother with them a few months ago as they can harm your rankings
Shared this on wall, very good!

family guy game register November 15, 2014 at 10:27 pm

What’s up i am kavin, its my first time to commenting
anywhere, when i read this post i thought i could also create comment due to this good piece of writing.

гдз по русскому 7 класс ладыженская 2016 March 7, 2016 at 9:53 am