Secret Pathway

by Kay~Kacey on 9/17/2008

Our sideyard is a mess. A shady pathway to the backyard. Full of extra boards, the wheelbarrow and a ladder too long to fit in the garage without a lot of trouble. So mostly the ladder stays outside.

sideyard

Realistically this should bug me. It’s messy. But you can’t see it from the front of the house without really, REALLY trying. I think it kind of looks like a romantic walkway to a hidden garden or something. (well, minus the wheelbarrow, log cart, and boards :mrgreen: )

On the left side is a hill, then my wonderful woods that surround my house. And this:

ivy

This wonderful ivy. When I first moved to this house my neighbor planted a few runners of it to help with erosion on the hill between our houses. Let’s just say there is no erosion problem now :wink: I love ivy.

So, while I do plan on cleaning up the things stacked against the house, I think I’ll leave this area basically untouched and a bit wild. I like it that way. It reminds me of childhood forts in the woods and covert hiding spots. My secret pathway back into my woods. I’m sure SuperGuy will be glad I’m not adding this to his Honey Do list :mrgreen:

Is your house all perfectly landscaped or a bit on the wild side? Or somewhere in between?

Mental P Mama September 17, 2008 at 6:32 am

We don’t have that stuff by the house, but you don’t ever want to go into the northwest corner of our yard. Nope. Don’t go there.

Jacque Ruch September 17, 2008 at 6:51 am

I must say that when the lawn service I pay way too much money to actually shows up :wallbash: the lawn looks impressive…but I only have the lawn service until grad school is done, and then we’re definitely back to the wild side!

Amy September 17, 2008 at 7:03 am

I am one of two homes on my nine-home cul de sac that has not yet been named “Yard of the Month” by the garden club. I doubt it ever will be. My lawn is treated by a lawn service, so it’s green, and I keep it trimmed and edged. I also have towering trees and some nice bushes and hostas, but that’s about it. My side yard, going from the driveway into the backyard looks very similar to yours! I still have some leftover wood from my new deck, and the pathway gets very muddy after a hard rain. Lovely. One day I’ll do something about it!

iPost September 17, 2008 at 7:46 am

Well, around my house is mostly landscaped but there are some things still on the wish list. But, on the rest of the 9 acres, it is pretty wild. We have groomed pasture…not so groomed pasture…a spring…a stream coming from said spring…woods…barn…poop piles (from the horses)…so my analysis is “somewhere in between.” :blah:

Gayle September 17, 2008 at 8:41 am

Well, we have a large lawn area, some stone walls and some wooded areas. It looks pretty nice, but not manicured. The one area the looks terrible is our pool which is off of the kitchen and patio. Hope to have that fixed up in spring.

Suzanne September 17, 2008 at 9:35 am

We have goats in our yard, LOL.

Kate September 17, 2008 at 10:01 am

Not perfectly landscaped, but somewhat so. It needs tender loving care, but is just a house where the farm manager lives. And they’ve had several different farm managers over the years. I have an urge to help it, however.

I like ivy, too. :rofl:

Starwoodgal September 17, 2008 at 11:03 am

My landscaping is a work in progress. Previous owners didn’t like plants. Well – they planted rocks and no plants. Go figure! Anywho, I’ve been planting, dividing and transplanting gifted plants. It is coming along. I’m planning on going to the nursery this weekend for some trees.

This Eclectic Life September 17, 2008 at 11:53 am

I like the idea of a “secret garden,” too. My landscaping is a mix of wild and tame (though the “tame” part has suffered since I started blogging). Maybe I should just say that it’s all wild…

Katharina September 17, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Three acres of wild side and I love it. I have several cultivated beds, a kitchen garden and a large vegetable garden 20′ x 125′ as well. These areas can vary from perfectly cultivated and planted to wild. I keep an unmowed acre I call the “Wildlife Refuge.” It’s all good.

Flea September 17, 2008 at 9:06 pm

I have one tree in the far back corner of the house, and a little apple tree on the side. Lots of grass. Overgrown vegetable gardens. Weeds in all the flower beds. It’s a mess. Thanks for asking.

Deb. September 17, 2008 at 9:21 pm

lots of both wild and tame. loads of perennials, shrubs etc around the “yard” and about 1/4 acre grass mowed of 3.5 acres. the rest is trees and whatever wants to grow. how do you tame the ivy from growing in the path? are you constantly cutting it back. isn’t it really invasive?

Kacey September 17, 2008 at 10:44 pm

The ivy does take over quite a bit. We walk back there enough that it gets trampled down. But I’m guessing SuperGuy cuts it back too. I’ll have to ask him.

Jeannelle September 18, 2008 at 9:59 am

Um……I don’t think your yard is a mess!! I love wild and wooly, and that’s how my yard is. Of course, the lawn is mowed, but I love to let things grow around the edges and see the wonderful surprises that show up!!

Barb September 18, 2008 at 6:45 pm

I love Ivy too, but it doesn’t grow here. Periwinkle, on the other hand, is taking over like Ivy. And it actually maintains it green for the most part in the winter. I TRY to keep my yard well manicured..the fenced in area anyhow. (fenced it last year so I wouldn’t worry about the outer limits of the remaining 13 acres :) ) BUT, I’m like “Eclectic” since I started blogging more than my yard has suffered! Ya ought to see the dust bunnies in my house!
I’d love to have more trees and green, create a romantic secret walkway!