Forgotten Chores

by Kay~Kacey on 9/19/2008

You know when you do something to your house and you think “I’ll finish it up this weekend.” But something comes up this weekend. And the next. Soon you forget about what it was you were going to do. Sometimes it creeps into your consciousness, but you don’t really let it fully surface. Sometimes it hits you in the face and you think “I can’t believe I haven’t finished that up yet.”

Well, here is my in-your-face-how-can-I-have-forgotten-it-this-long chore:

worn door knobs

We (well, SuperGuy) replaced the one doorknob. The old one wouldn’t latch and keep the door closed. (the faded doorknob here is a fake–doesn’t turn.) So after he replaced the doorknob I swore I’d take off the hardware when I had time and clean it all up so it would match. Or, if that didn’t work, buy some new hardware. That was like…oh, two years ago.

I walk through this wonderful red door everyday. I guess I just no longer really saw it. Until today. It like hit me in the face. This chore needs to be finished!! I’ll be sure to update with pictures…when it’s finally checked off the to do list.

How about you? Do you have some chore that’s been sitting around for a long time that you’ve almost convinced yourself that you’ve forgotten it??

Flea September 19, 2008 at 7:12 am

Heh. Yeah. I have this dining room wall, see. I’ve posted about it several times. It stares at me every day, accusing me of neglect and abuse.

Kacey September 19, 2008 at 7:31 am

Good morning peeps! I woke up all ready to Get. Things. Accomplished. today. How about you??

Gayle September 19, 2008 at 7:34 am

Ack. The mouldings along the floor in our hallway need to be repainted (for a couple of years.) It’s my job. But at this point, my new rationale is that the walls need to be redone, so why paint the mouldings now.

I’m sure there are more things but, happily, I can’t think of them right now!

dlyn September 19, 2008 at 8:34 am

If only it were just one – I am the queen of half finished projects! I have had yellow paint chips taped to my bedroom wall so long that the colors have all faded. :oops:

Mental P Mama September 19, 2008 at 9:06 am

Um, yeah. But I can’t face my chores. Tomorrow. I’ll think about it tomorrow.

Suzanne September 19, 2008 at 9:15 am

I still need to finish unpacking…..

Katharina September 19, 2008 at 11:00 am

I don’t want to talk about it. :shakehead:

Deb September 19, 2008 at 11:15 am

Well, if I list my “To Do List” in writing, I will be acknowleging that there are things to be done, thus, causing great emotional stress. I would rather keep my head in the sand on this one!

Melissa Marsh September 19, 2008 at 12:55 pm

You bet. The cobwebs on the ceiling in my kitchen. I keep meaning to get the vacuum out and just suck those things right up, but then I think of better, more enjoyable things I could do instead. :roll:

Tori Lennox September 19, 2008 at 1:59 pm

I don’t want to discuss all the things I need to finish around here… I’d rather stick my head in the sand.

Helga Hansen September 19, 2008 at 4:56 pm

My life is a To Do List!! I’m a lifelong member of Procrastinators United… but I am planning to tackle one of my projects this weekend… wish me luck. Must confess this Black Box thing is a major distraction!! But I’m not complaining – it brings me to wonderful new blogs, such as yours!! :smile:

Kate September 19, 2008 at 5:46 pm

There is a plethora of things I have been putting off and I’m embarassed to tell them. But in the spirit of telling all despite what people will think of me, I have yet to:
Get the checkup for the car. It was due over a thousand miles ago.
Get a PA license.
Get PA insurance.
Get PA tags.
Take the glass and plastic to the recycle place up the road. There’s 2 months worth now.

As an aside, Kacey do you still hate the black box? I love it! I have more visitors, too! There’s one above me right here visiting you!

Kacey September 19, 2008 at 9:19 pm

The only reason I hate the black box is because I could waste SO much time playing with it. I tell you, it’s evil. It was made to make me waste time. (I have found some really cool sites from it though…)

mary September 19, 2008 at 9:44 pm

Well hell, I could write a book about all the chores that need doing around here. One of the best (worst?) is probably our master bathroom. It was painted three years ago, and soon afterward I accidentally scratched the still curing paint with a squeegee while trying to ensure that mold did not grow on the ceiling. The paint chipped and peeled, and it is still like that three years later. Aaarrrgh!

Love your red doors!
xoxo,
Mary

Barb September 19, 2008 at 11:05 pm

You would have to mention chores .. yet to complete, just had to remind me about our gutters being FULL of pine needles…for 3 ? years now??? (Good thing it doesn’t rain much here or we’d have Niagra Falls each time!)
Hey, I found that ‘dreaded’ Black Box today! Wow! it IS addicting! pretty cool though!
Have a great weekend…get that door knob situation done! :razz:

iPost September 20, 2008 at 6:55 am

My hubby has been building treehouses for 3, count them, 3 years now. Actually, it think it might be going on 4. :wtf:

Sandra September 20, 2008 at 10:33 am

For the 20 years we lived in Hubby’s family farmhouse, the family reunion for 4 generations was always there! If you want to reallllly get things done, just plan on having a whole bunch of people come to your house, the house they really consider partially theirs too, because it’s the “family” home place.