Long Forgotten Toys

by Kay~Kacey on 9/22/2008

So I was outside cleaning up the mess on our deck, and look what I saw?

lego guy on deck

This Lego Guy nestled among the leaves. Now, mind you, our youngest child is 18…

So I got to thinking. I’m sure I’ve seen some other Lego pieces around the house.

lego man

Like this Lego man sitting on top of a bookcase. I remember coming across him when I was moving things around from the Ike mess.

Lego chest

Like this pirate guy and his treasure chest hiding out by some of my pretty notebooks. You’d think after all these years, I would have picked up all these pieces. Stored them in the basement in the Lego Tupperware containers. But, no. I think, subconsciously, I like having them around. Reminding me of the hours and hours my boys spent playing with Legos. Making castles. Making forts. Making towns. Okay, Okay, I confess. I loved playing Legos with the boys too. :love:

So when I pull open a drawer, or open a box, and I see a Lego guy? I’m not really in any hurry to put it where it belongs, in the Lego container in the basement. The container where all the hundreds of pieces are waiting patiently for new little boys to discover them and build a fort, or skyscraper, or medieval castle.

Lego tower

Or space stations. Let’s not forget the space station Lego sets. I wonder what kind of sets Lego will come up with in the future? I just know if any little kids want to play with the Legos at my home, I’ll gladly get out the Lego container and plop down on the floor with them and start building.

What were/are some of your kids’ favorite toys from childhood?

Kate September 22, 2008 at 5:13 am

Oh, * * sniff, sniff **, you’ve got me here with the Lego man, Kacey. We played with them all the time, my two sons and I. It’s not good to start the day with a tear, but at least it’s not a sad tear!

Have a great Monday. Yours is the blog I come to every morning. (and then I sneak a few at work). Take care!

Mental P Mama September 22, 2008 at 6:13 am

That makes me want to cry. Or go back to bed. Hmmmm. :coffee2:

Sara September 22, 2008 at 6:36 am

When my girls were home this summer I made them clean out the closet in the spare bedroom. We found a huge box of Breyer horses! My oldest horse crazy daughter was thrilled and made me swear that I wouldn’t get rid of them! At least they’re in a box now. For many years the horses grazed all around her bedroom floor…..

Amy September 22, 2008 at 6:49 am

I, too, have found Lego pieces around the house over the years. When my older son Jamie was in ninth grade and being a bit of a wild child, I found him in his room one day playing with his Legos. I’m sure there are still little Legos lying around; and one day when I do a thorough cleaning out of the nooks and crannies of my home, I’ll find a few. Then, of course, I’ll cry!

Sandra September 22, 2008 at 7:35 am

When my children were little, Fisher Price came out with their first Little People sets. I think the airplane was the first one, but we ended up with about five different sets, including the school bus, the filling station/parking garage, the barn and the school house, besides the airplane. They are the toys that I wish I had held on to. I’m sure I sold them for pennies at garage sales, and they would be so much fun for our grandkids now.

I also remember selling our son’s GI Joes at garage sales. That was another bad decision for sentimental reasons, but also, a bad financial decision, because they are apparently worth quite a bit now.

So hard to decide at the time what’s “trash” and what you will eventually look back on as “treasure.”

Flea September 22, 2008 at 8:11 am

I do the same thing when I find Lego men around the house. Well, sometimes I pose my cows with them. Is that me playing with the Legos?

Tori Lennox September 22, 2008 at 10:14 am

Well, I don’t have kids, so can’t speak to that, but when I was a kid, aside from my Barbies, I loved my Lincoln Logs. Mine were genuine wood which cost a fortune to get now. Most of them are plastic. Ugh. And my mom just gave mine away! Without ever asking me! I’m still annoyed about that and it happened years ago. *g*

Amy A September 22, 2008 at 10:17 am

Goodness, I’m hoping for a day when finding random Legos makes me sentimental instead of insane.

In addition to the billions of Legos wandering around our home, we’ve got a huge bucket of Lincoln Logs and a huge container of Brio train pieces, eagerly awaiting the next generation (or 9 and 14 on a rainy day….), and K’Nex. They discovered K’Nex a few years ago…

Gayle September 22, 2008 at 10:39 am

My oldest son was very big into Legos. I got rid of a lot of the Lego stuff but we still have a couple of bins of Legos here. My 10 and 12 year old still play with them occasionally. Also we’ve got a bin of Power Ranger stuff. They used to love Power Rangers! They don’t bother with them anymore.

Suzanne September 22, 2008 at 11:21 am

I love Legos! And Barbies! And Batmans!!!

Starwoodgal September 22, 2008 at 11:25 am

My son loved his Ninja Turtles. Hot Wheels Race Cars, Auto Shop and race track. Both kids loved their Creepy Crawler Maker. Riding Bikes, Roller Skates, Super Nintendo – Mario Brothers, Mario Cart, Zelda. My son also loved anything Batman when the first Batman movie came out. He had a hooded cap that he wore 24/7 and I had to take it off him after he went to sleep at night. I have a photo somewhere of him wearing it to daycare. Fun times, good memories.

Debra September 22, 2008 at 12:01 pm

My “baby” is almost 32 years old with two active boys and a baby girl scheduled to make a Crhistmas arrival. I spent countless hours playing Barbie with her. She also loved My Little Pony. I’m so glad she’s having a girl so I can do all the little girl things with her that I did with her mother. Grandchildren are the greatest joy in my life!

Katharina September 22, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Yes, I’ve got my sons’ Lego waiting for the next generation to show up and play with them. There are small treasures of my boys around the house. More sweet reminders make reappearances at Christmastime.

Melissa Marsh September 22, 2008 at 1:12 pm

Aw, Kacey, this was so cool – all those lego guys everywhere. I think it could make an awesome short story.

My daughter had a stuff puppy when she was a baby that she carried with her EVERYWHERE (and yes, I do mean EVERYWHERE) until she was about three years old. The poor thing looks rather limp now, but it has garnered a place of honor in my china cabinet.

Melissa Marsh September 22, 2008 at 1:12 pm

That should be STUFFED puppy. :roll:

Dru September 22, 2008 at 2:01 pm

I had blocks that came in different shapes, sizes and colors. I haven’t seen them in stores lately. Some of the shapers were short and tall rectangular blocks, wide rectangular blocks, half-circles, an rectangular arch, half-triangles. I use to build schools, houses and office with them and the short, tall and cyclinder blocks were the people.

Barb September 22, 2008 at 4:46 pm

I too, loved Lincoln Logs, roller skates, Barbie, and books :book: … still have, shared with our kids and now grandkids when the chances happen.

Michelle Willingham September 22, 2008 at 5:39 pm

You know, it makes me wonder if your boys didn’t put them there on purpose… To make you smile? :mrgreen:

Beth September 22, 2008 at 6:19 pm

I loved the matchbox cars. Between my two boys we had 100’s of them. They were so easy to lug around.

Rene September 22, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Other toys may come and go but my kids always go back to Legos. My son and two daughters will go upstairs and play Legos for hours. The girls like Barbies and Polly Pockets, but if they had to choose, they’d stick with Legos.

I find Legos by stepping on them. It hurts…a lot.

vodkamom September 22, 2008 at 6:42 pm

I LOVED seeing the legoes. They are ALL over my classroom. At my HOUSE i used to find polly pockets, and barbies in the refrigerator. I also find spongebob crap around the house. Right now, however, Nascar race cars are everywhere.

dlyn September 22, 2008 at 7:18 pm

We had tons of Little People sets – my Aunt managed a Salvation Army store and she always saved the “like new” sets for my girls. We had enough of those people to start our own country. I still run across one every so often. This spring when the kids stayed with us for a couple months, one of the best things was playing Legos with my grandson – love those Legos!

Mary September 22, 2008 at 8:09 pm

LOL! My youngest “child” is 30 and she still BUYS toys (so do I)! I believe I could find a lot of Legos, StarWars guns, and other tiny objects hidden around my house if I looked :-) I know I have an entire attic stuffed with all of their toys we never got rid of. Everything my kids played with is now back for a second run…StarWars, Strawberry Shortcake, My Little Pony, Barbies, and then there are the GI Joes, the Matchbox cars…..

MAPAGE September 22, 2008 at 9:36 pm

My boys had very different interests but they had one thing they both liked and that was playing with GI Joe’s and Play guns. They would stash their weapons all over the house and yard. To this day when digging in my flower beds I will find “weapons” or guys that have long been forgotten. The most astounding was when we moved a storage shed an found an arsenal of water guns, and the BB gun that one brother accused the other of selling to a friend…for years!!! They are now 27 and 31 years old with no Grands around to discover these treasures, but maybe some day. For now when I uncover the guys I prop them up for me to rediscover the next gardening season and stir up those memories of my sons younger days, again.

DesertHen September 25, 2008 at 12:15 am

Oh how I loved the “Lego days.” My son would play with legos, lincoln logs, etc….for hours at a time.

I still have a little computer lego man that my son made for me sitting on my computer desk………..my son is now 22!!

I miss the Lego days…………………..sniff!