I Want My Garage Back

by Kay~Kacey on 9/23/2008

I’m going to sneak this blog post in today because I think SuperGuy is going to be really busy at work and won’t have time to read this post. I hope. Because, once again my blogging friends, I need your help…

I don’t ask a lot out of life, really. I’m basically content and happy. Most of the time. Or I quickly get back to being content and happy if I have a momentary blip. I think that’s fairly normal, right?

But one thing? The ONE THING I want thing I want REALLY badly?? My garage. I want it back.

messy garage

SuperGuy does a lot of woodworking, as seen by all my made for Kacey posts. And I appreciate it!! But he’s slowly taken over the whole garage. I want it back. Well, at least “my side” of it. He promised me I’d have it back last winter. But then the garage door opener quit working and one thing led to another and it never happened. He never cleaned out my side of the garage. As a total aside, he has a remote starter on his truck, so he doesn’t mind the cold-winter-mornings-car-left-outside-leaving-early thing.

Anyway, once again I’ve started to harp suggest to SuperGuy that he needs to, well, actually CLEAR OUT the garage so I can use it this winter. We’ll see.

You guys will support me on this one, right? Unlike the few terribly wrong misguided people who thought his ground cover was a great idea and sided with him… What do you say? Shouldn’t I have my side of the garage all cleaned out to use this winter??

Should SuperGuy Clean Out Kacey's side of the garage?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Mental P Mama September 23, 2008 at 6:26 am

Good luck! :cursing:

Amy September 23, 2008 at 6:55 am

At first I was going to say SuperGuy should clean your side of the garage. Now I think you should choose a nice piece of silver jewelry and let him buy some time. It should work.

BTW, my garage doesn’t look much better … and I don’t have a hubby!

Flea September 23, 2008 at 7:03 am

This is why I need a sewing room. My stuff creeps all over the house, taking over rooms. Maybe Super Guy needs his own work room.

Blogarita September 23, 2008 at 7:19 am

I voted no. If I can’t get my car in MY garage, why should you? :razz: *duck and run*

Debra September 23, 2008 at 7:35 am

Doughboy tells me he has two areas of the house that are designated “Man Rooms” — they are the garage and his work room. When I suggested that he paint the walls of his man room a cherry color, like yellow or pink, I got a glare that could freeze the sun. We moved to a new home a year ago and now have a roomy three car garage. His junk started to slowly take over…so we built another garage. That is now filled too but at least I have room to park my car. Yippee! So, here’s the point…build a man room for SuperGuy to house all his man stuff and you get the garage back. It’s a compromise. And life is all about trade-offs, right?

Suzanne September 23, 2008 at 7:47 am

Yeah, get the silver first. You can always get the clean garage later!

Treasia/TruckersWife September 23, 2008 at 8:50 am

I voted for the garage 100%. If Super Guy doesn’t get around to cleaning it up for you to use then wake him every morning and hand him your keys. Make him go start the car, warm it up and clean your windshield. Maybe after a week or so of doing this on cold mornings he will become tired and clean for you. :rofl: If not then you have a warm clean car to climb into anyway. :lol:

Becky September 23, 2008 at 9:33 am

I am delurking to comment on this one. I am SO for a working garage…which means for a car especially in a Missouri winter!

I’ve been reading for a couple months, and am intrigued as Ithe locations you write of are familiar. I grew up in the KC area, and lived as an adult for some years in central MO. Now I live close to Rocky Mountain.

Amy A September 23, 2008 at 10:33 am

Can you move the stuff yourself? Just slide it on over to his side…..

Gayle September 23, 2008 at 10:46 am

Oh, this issue is so close to my heart. I lost my side of the garage two years ago. Since then I have a brand new reason to dislike winter. But, of course, my husband’s tractors can not be out in the weather, can they? Argh.

Rene September 23, 2008 at 12:18 pm

My dh brings to meaning to the word “obsessive” when it comes to the garage. And woe to the poor wife who forgets to close the garage door. He has apoplexy. I try to stay out of there. However, I will give him credit, when I need a screw driver or a flash light, I know exactly where to find them.

Melissa Marsh September 23, 2008 at 12:59 pm

At my house, the garage is my husband’s domain. Period. It is his man castle. I sometimes stray into it, but not very often.

And like you, I’d like to have a garage stall to park my Jeep in the winter because I do hate to shovel snow off the thing. But I also have a remote starter, which helps. :-)

I guess the way it works for us is that the garage is his domain, the house is mine – I can decorate however I want. I suppose that is SOME consolation. :mrgreen:

Tug September 23, 2008 at 2:18 pm

I would go inSANE if I had a garage & couldn’t use it for me.

Sorry SuperGuy, but it’s true.

mary September 23, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Actually, it doesn’t look like such a big job. We have a one-car garage that has been filled with crap for the past twenty-eight years. Neither of us has ever been able to use it. We’re actually thinking of building a separate two-car garage, and turning the current one into a master suite. For when we are old and decrepit and can’t shovel snow or climb stairs.

Having said that, I think you should let SuperGuy buy you that jewelry. After all, winter doesn’t come for another few months…

Good luck with it!
xoxo,
Mary

Barb September 23, 2008 at 4:31 pm

Every woman should have a garage! :wink:
I’m lucky…I actually have my own, he has his own! My car stays nice and clean and starts right up on a cold day…his? I’m not sure it even has a floor!

Cheryl St.John September 23, 2008 at 10:17 pm

I am SO on your side! We went through this — and I couldn’t complain because we were remodeling the kitchen, and it was winter. So I went all winter – and then ALL summer without my side of the garage. However I put my foot down that I would not go another season without parking on my side, and WE spent and entire three day weekend over Labor Day, cleaning the whole garage, organizing, pitching crap, listing things on CraigsList. We even added extra cabinets, etc., and now it’s wonderful and I can park inside. HALLELUIAH!

You have my vote.

Kate September 24, 2008 at 9:59 am

Good luck. And hey, who voted that you should suck it up?

Was that Super Guy????? :wtf:

Devon Ellington September 24, 2008 at 10:24 am

Do you have enough room on the property to buy/build a woodworking shed for him? That would be my first suggestion.

Otherwise, he’s allowed to take up a portion of the garage, as long as you can still get your car in and out.

OR — is there something that makes it worthwhile for you to have him take over the whole garage? And I don’t mean his projects.

Negotiate!

Kacey September 24, 2008 at 11:40 am

Blogarita voted no. The traitor. She said if she can’t get her car in her garage, I shouldn’t get my car in mine… :cool:

Wish we had land enough and $$ enough to build him a workshop. He’d be one happy camper. So would I…

I’d clear out my side…but his side looks even worse, so there is no place to move the stuff on my side…

Katha\ September 25, 2008 at 1:08 am

Twice a year I, yes I, empty out the garage and put back ONLY the bare essentials. This is the only way I have been able to keep a moderately organized garage with room for two cars. No one else cares, so I just do it. I am NOT suggesting that you should have to do it, Kacey. I’m just saying that I have to or else it is a disaster.