I’m a Walker

by Kay~Kacey on 9/26/2008

I know there are those of you who hit the gym or do yoga or swim or do whatever exercise it is that you do. Me? I’m a walker. I love to take walks. It’s so stress relieving. Though I freely admit, I’m a fair weather walker. 90 degrees with 98% humidity at 7 am? I’m so not walking. Snowy with a blustery wind? I’m so not walking.

I. Am. A. Wuss.

But we’ll ignore that for now. I walk the same walk every time. Down our big hill, then right on the cross street and up that street until….

Statue on wall

I get to this statue of this little girl sitting on the wall. Isn’t she adorable??? I HAVE to walk as far as this little girl, and I HAVE to turn around. Right. There. Then I head back home. Takes me about 30 minutes give or take. I’m not a power walker or anything!! I keep thinking I’ll get in the car and go to one of the parks to walk…but it’s so easy to just walk out the door and head out. I’m much more likely to walk if there isn’t much effort in getting ready to go.

As an aside (there’s always one, right?) I took this photo with my iPhone. I was thinking “darn, I wish I had brought my camera!” Then I thought “doggoneit woman, your iPhone is in your pocket!!”

I walk the same route because if I go to the bottom of our big hill and take a left instead of a right? There’s a big dog that scare the *!!#$ out of me. :mad2: If I would continue straight…there’s a huge hill to climb up. I’m not CRAZY you know! :crazy2:

I usually take my iPod and listen to podcasts, or music. I have some “nature sounds” music I like to listen to, or Brain Sync recordings. Oh, Brainsync recordings are another whole post in and of themselves. Later on that.

So I’m a fair weather walker, we’ve already determined that. I also get strangely annoyed when people are out mowing their yards when I’m walking. It disturbs my peace. :roll: I KNOW. I’m so weird. But I like my time walking. I let my mind wander. I breathe fresh air. I enjoy a bit of sunshine. I look at the flowers, the trees, the birds. I think and sort through things. Which is why I guess I like walking so much as a form of exercise. The mental wandering as much as the feet wandering. It probably sounds boring to some of you to take the same walk in the same neighborhood, but I find it strangely comforting to take the same pathway. I think it lets my mind wander more. Okay, so we’ve all pretty much come up with the same assumption. Kacey is strange. I can live with that! :cool:

How about you? What’s your exercise of choice?

Mental P Mama September 26, 2008 at 6:29 am

I’m a fair weather walker, too. And because I don’t live where it’s a perfect 75 with no humidity, I spend a great deal of time on the treadmill. Ugh. Speaking of which… :cursing:

Amy September 26, 2008 at 7:03 am

I took my 85-lb. dog out for a very vigorous long walk yesterday during a northeaster (with a break in rain). The wind was really whipping around, but it was great! I had my iPod going and was just enjoying the moments. My favorite walking time is at night in the winter, just before Christmas. I love looking at the lights and getting my stress release at the same time.

Keri Mikulski September 26, 2008 at 7:55 am

I love to run. Something about the rhythm and feeling afterwards. But, when I’m with my daughter, I love to walk and talk. :crazy2:

Momma Mac September 26, 2008 at 9:25 am

I am a runner. An early morning runner. This betrays who I really am, however…not a morning person! But it gets me up and going in the morning!

Becky September 26, 2008 at 10:27 am

Well, I am a fair weather bike rider. I commute to work fairly often, and have over 700 miles in since first of May this year. I walk/hike, too, because I live close to the mountains, that is a requirement, I think.

It’s tough living in one of the most fit states of the nation….really it is….

Doesn’t help with the middle-age metabolism AT ALL!

Melissa Marsh September 26, 2008 at 11:02 am

I also love to walk, too! If the weather turns bad, I get on my treadmill…ugh. Not NEARLY as fun!

Margery September 26, 2008 at 12:22 pm

I am so NOT a walker. I discovered step aerobics a couple of years ago. Loved it! Something about the high-energy music, the choreography, the segue to dance. Any kind of dance makes me happy. Unfortunately, my knees didn’t like step, so the only exercise I’m getting these days is going from the sofa to the fridge. Bad me!

Suzanne September 26, 2008 at 12:52 pm

I love to walk and I haven’t been doing it enough lately!

Amy A September 26, 2008 at 1:41 pm

I’m a procrastinator.

Oh, wait. That’s right, procrastination isn’t exercise. Dang it.

I like to walk. But I need to get out and do it more. Now that the weather’s turning and I HAVE to take the dog for a walk every day, it will get easier to get my exercise in.

Kate September 26, 2008 at 1:52 pm

I hate to exercise. But I do enjoy walking. I pretty much take the same route daily and I go almost every day. Unless I’m home too late, or some other little excuse keeps me from it. But I do like walking. Especially with Georgie. :rofl:

ELK September 26, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Hey this is SAM and I am ELK’s golden retriever ~walk walk walk ~that is what I make her do each day with me leading the way!! but I am with you… the high temp/humidity are hard on a furry boy!!

Dru September 26, 2008 at 2:00 pm

I’m a fair weather walker as well and I love to walk on the boardwalk where I walk in the same direction. I also wear a pedometer and my goal is always at least 10,000 steps.

melody is slurping life September 26, 2008 at 2:41 pm

You had me suckered in with your blog title and header alone. Fellow wine-o here. :lol:

To be honest, I am a bit of an exercise fanatic….step, kickboxing, elliptical, walking, circuits, weights…I know, go ahead and hit me.

Love the little girl statue.

Thanks for taking the time to comment over at my place and introducing yourself. Love new friends! Esp. moms of all boys who understand… :wallbash:

Sandra September 26, 2008 at 2:48 pm

We’ve belonged to a gym the (almost) two years we’ve been retired, and we both play alot of golf. But, after reading this, I’m thinking, “Why did I stop walking?” You have inspired me to start again. It is very relaxing.

Tori Lennox September 26, 2008 at 3:28 pm

I used to love to walk! Now I do well to manage crossing the street to our mailbox. *sigh*

Tori Lennox September 26, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Got ahead of myself, I meant to add I still have my Brain Sync tapes but I’m thinking I need to either download them from iTunes now or buy them in CD format.

vodkamom September 26, 2008 at 4:19 pm

I love to walk, but because i DESTROYED my knees from 10 years of competitive gymnastics, I go to the Y. I ride the recumbent bike that all the old injured people ride (it’s lovely) and use some of the machines. I am SUCH a creature of habit, and tend to do the same old routine. However, I find a lot of comfort in my little old routine. as do you. :beer: now, let’s go have a drink…

Barb September 26, 2008 at 4:48 pm

I prefer walking, which I do way too much of in the summer…walk to the garden, & back, walk to the barnyard & back, Walk to move this sprinkler and that one ..mow the grass every other day…and back..umteen times a day. I do like walking in the rain, which never happens here…only years ago where I lived. But I do love a cold winter morning walk, listening to whatever else may be brave to be out in the weather…horses munching, cows mooing, calves bawling…even the birds and deer make noises I can enjoy.

Connie September 26, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Kacey,
I have no excerise of choice at the moment. I better find one soon before I reach the point of no return. I enjoy reading your blog every morning. Stop by my blog I have something for you.

Connie

Jakki September 26, 2008 at 5:59 pm

My name is Jakki…and…I’m a walker. Well, really I am a stroller….

Seriously though I dont power walk but I do walk a lot, sometimes 3 times a day buuuuuuuuuuuuuut at a nice even slooooooooooooooooow pace. That counts for something doesnt it?

I’m slow because I pretty much do the same thing you do…watch the sky, the birds, wonder what the heck just ran into the woods, take pictures. All that AND walking wears a girl out…

Diane@A Picture is worth.... September 26, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Hi Kasey,
I love step aerobics..but only in a class. I hate to exercise by myself. Love a nice walk with husband or friends.
Diane

Katharina September 27, 2008 at 12:50 am

Although we have an elliptical and recumbant bike, I enjoy a walk in the great outdoors more than any other exercise. I will NOT walk in heat, but I will, and do, walk in snow storms, ice and thigh high drifts. We got it all last winter. I loved being in it. My family strolled while the remnants of Gustav and Ike pounded us with rain.

Jeannelle September 27, 2008 at 9:20 am

Yes, count me in as a walker! And, like you, I walk the same route over and over…….and find there’s always something new along the way. I don’t mind winter walking; actually prefer it to heat and humidity…..providing there’s not a blizzard going on, of course. And, for trying to lose weight……cool weather walking is the best way to use up more calories.

DesertHen September 27, 2008 at 12:09 pm

I love to get out and walk here on the farm……..I tend to go only one route though as a neighboring farmer has dogs that will chase me if I get to close to his place…….they are NOT nice dogs!! I’m afraid they will attack, drag me off and I will never be seen or heard from again!! I also have to watch out for snakes while on my walks…….living in the country has its perils……I won’t mention the time I thought I saw a Mountain Lion track!!! :shock: