Family Traditions

by Kay~Kacey on 10/1/2008

I’ve told you about some of our, well, strange family traditions. Like shooting Easter eggs with a slingshot. Just a bit unusual. Not too bad though, right?

Well, we have another one.

Mike with one i

This cute little monster who sits up on a bookshelf in the hallway. If you push his head he randomly says silly sayings. Well, the saying that we like the most is “Hi, I’m Mike. With one “eye”. Get it?” Yes, it’s stupid, but for some reason it cracks me up. It became our favorite saying. So we now push the monster’s head when we walk by. Only one push. You “win” if he says “Hi, I’m Mike. With one eye. Get it?” You lose if he says any other saying.

Yes, it’s an actual competition we have going on here. I’ve been known to breeze down into the family room and just say “I win.” SuperGuy doesn’t even blink an eye. :rofl: He knows what I’m talking about.

So besides competing on our Easter egg slingshots, we compete on who randomly gets the “winning” saying from Mike the monster. I think SuperGuy lies sometimes when he says he won though…he says it entirely too often… :mad2:

As an aside, heads up, Michelle Willingham, my friend. I spy your Her Irish Warrior book right above the monster’s head. Michelle writes awesome historicals and has a great blog where she keeps me laughing about her oh so adorable kids and the things they say and do.

Where was I??? Oh, yes. We also have things thing about cows. And hanging monkeys. But those are posts for another day. What about you? Does your family have any silly things they do like this? Anyone? Someone? We can’t be the only family out there with such strange bizarre a tad unusual traditions.

(still working on the Photo of the Month post. It takes a long time to do it up. Maybe tomorrow, but more likely on Friday.)

vodkamom October 1, 2008 at 5:52 am

Who ever DOESN’T piss off mommy is the winner. :grin:

Suzanne October 1, 2008 at 6:39 am

awww, the little monster is so cute! Fun tradition!

Tina October 1, 2008 at 7:06 am

We have this thing we do at the grocery store. I don’t even remember who started it but every time we shop together, someone has to say, “Do you want some bananas?” I don’t even like bananas. I have even called hubby at home to ask if he wants some bananas. We don’t really call ourselves the winner but we try to beat each other to the punch line.

Becky October 1, 2008 at 7:31 am

I started this when my husband and I were dating.
We will be walking along, I’ll pick up my pace, just to see if he will. The next thing you know we are almost running. No winner, just laughs.
I have noticed I can do this with my 11 yr. old son, too.

Michelle Willingham October 1, 2008 at 1:21 pm

My book! ::sniffle:: Awwww…you are so nice. :)

Love the Mike doll. Incidentally, I was watching “Finding Nemo” with my daughter the other day and I actually went through all the credits. Guess who swam by at the end in a scuba suit? Yep, Mike. Too funny!

iPost October 1, 2008 at 1:34 pm

When we were first dating, I tried to pay Brian back for something. I can’t remember what it was for, but I still remember the amount…$5.00. He didn’t want it, gentleman that he is, and so he stashed it back in my purse. I then gave it back. He wrote “I LOVE YOU” all over the 5 dollar bill and hid it again, like in the pocket of my jeans. When i found it, i gave it back again. We have been doing this with the same 5 dollar bill for 13 years now. :love:

Tori Lennox October 1, 2008 at 3:01 pm

I can’t think of anything silly our family does. Unless you count the times we shout out “old road!” whenever we’re out and about and see an old road. You know the kind, the pavement’s all cracked and it looks like it hasn’t been driven on in decades. I don’t even remember WHY we do this, but still. *g*

Amy A October 1, 2008 at 5:07 pm

I love Michelle’s books, too! Aren’t they fab?

We always “hold up the tunnel” with one finger when we drive through tunnels. It was something we started when the kids were in carseats. Not too silly, I don’t think.

mary October 1, 2008 at 6:31 pm

We don’t really have any family competitions because my husband and my daughter are both SUPER OBNOXIOUS COMPETITIVE!

Love your Mike doll. I love that movie!
xoxo,
Mary

Rene October 1, 2008 at 8:57 pm

We don’t really have anything like that. We are very dull people.

wkf October 2, 2008 at 5:55 am

I have a thing about Easter Peeps. I don’t like them. But the Easter Bunny is supposed to bring them. So we will ocassionally have a “Peep MassACree” Peep goes on a stick and gets roasted over a flame. ( It actually makes them better to me.) You know the whole S’mores thing. They make a terrible mess if you get them on your grill.