Signs of Autumn

by Kay~Kacey on 10/16/2008

I have a love/hate relationship with autumn. I hate to see the long sunlight hours dwindle and the days get shorter.

fallen leaf

The air gets crisp. The colors turn vivid.

red leaf

I love all the brilliant colors in autumn. The grass is still green. The leaves slide into a million shades of yellow, red, orange and everything in between.

sunny autumn day

I check the leaves when I’m out walking, wondering when the “peak” season will be. Planning a day trip with SuperGuy to go out and see the foliage and grab our cameras and snap away.

But eventually…

dead leaves

The glorious colors of autumn fade out to dead, dreary, brown and gray. Then it turns cold. I hate cold. I’ve always been one of those people that have a hard time regulating my temperature. I get cold easily and it’s a miserable feeling. So while I may be a sweater gal at heart.. loving the first chances to pull on a beloved sweater and walk in the tumultuous colors of autumn..I can’t deny I’m so not a winter person. Short days with little sunlight. Overcast skies. Cold. Driving on ice. Nope, I could do without winters.

So how about you? Are you loving a certain season? Enjoy them all? Have one that you really don’t like? Confess all here…

Becky October 16, 2008 at 6:21 am

I love the colors of fall and the crisp, fresh air. But, like you, I hate winter. Dreary and cold. I get cold and don’t warm up till spring. Hate it!!!

Gayle October 16, 2008 at 6:56 am

I’m a spring and summer gal totally!

Dru October 16, 2008 at 7:01 am

I like Fall and Spring.

Debra October 16, 2008 at 7:27 am

I was born and raised in Wisconsin; moved to The Windy City of Chicago in 1989 and stayed for 11 years. The winters were brutally cold, long, and miserable. Doughboy and I decided to take the plunge and move to a warmer climate. I was offered a great job opportunity in Georgia and have been here for over 9 years. Doughboy didn’t find a job that he liked here so he commutes between Atlanta and Pittsburgh every week. For two days each week he can escape the cold, brutal, miserable Pennsylvania winters to the warmer clime of Georgia. Poor baby :( Autumn here is fabulous and the winters short lived. Perfect for me!

Debra October 16, 2008 at 7:29 am

P.S. Lovely photos, Kacey!

Suzanne October 16, 2008 at 7:33 am

I love all the seasons and I love living somewhere that they really have FOUR seasons. I even love winter, but I don’t love driving on icy roads!

Kacey October 16, 2008 at 7:42 am

Suzanne, I’d be okay with winter if I could stay inside and look out at it. Never driving on ice. Sitting by the fire reading and sipping wine.

Deb October 16, 2008 at 8:40 am

No doubt about it, I love fall. I say this over and over again, that the long shadows of fall are my favorite. I, too, was a Chicago girl and hated the cold, cold frigid weather. My mother would always say if there was one square inch of ice in the city, I would find it and fall. That was so true. My last winter in Chicago encountered -20 degrees plus insane winds that with the wind factor had us tumbling around -85, seriously.
All seasons in Atlanta suit me just fine. And it is not as hot as people think…really.

Amy A October 16, 2008 at 10:27 am

That third photo is AMAZING. I love it.

My favorite season is summer, EXCEPT this year, I seem to be looking forward to the more hibernating nature of autumn and winter (though it seems that just as we had no summer, will have moved straight to winter, bypassing that pesky bridge season where it’s cooler but not quite COLD….already 30 for overnight lows, ice on the ground in the morning…)

cgreno October 16, 2008 at 11:08 am

Oh, such a Fall gal here also, thank you for sharing the lovely pics. I live in Reno, NV and my favorite season quickly fades from brilliant color, into many months of not gray, not brown, some awful mix of the two colors and its everything from sky to earth is the same color. My only fix is to head for the Bay Area (well worth the 3.5 hour drive) and get a hit of green and leave the wool coat behind!

Rene October 16, 2008 at 12:44 pm

I love autumn. It is still warm during the day but it gets chilly at night. We don’t really get winter like other states, so we have a long fall. In fact, my trees haven’t turned yet however we do have ripe apples.

I find something to like about all the seasons although I get tired of summer after awhile. And winter. Our winter conisists of weeks of constant cold rain. But I suppose our spring and fall make up for it.

KP October 16, 2008 at 12:53 pm

I’d vote for canceling Winter & Summer both if not for the fact that they are what make me love Fall & Spring!

MAYBELLINE October 16, 2008 at 9:26 pm

I love all things FALL. Although it’s not as beautiful here as it is where you are; I love the releif from the draining summer heat. With that, I can tell you without reservation that summer is made by the devil. :evil:

Sandra October 17, 2008 at 6:42 pm

I love Fall. Beautiful pictures.