Stages of Life

by Kay~Kacey on 10/23/2008

Stages of an apartment transformation anyway.

Stage One:

First The Love Nest was just basic cream colored walls and white trim:

empty room

The empty family room. Well, I guess you’d call it a family room. The front part of the apartment is really a great room attached to the kitchen. It has french doors leading out to a small balcony. SuperGuy is going to get a gas grill so he can BBQ there. I support that decision. I’m always willing to let someone else cook…

galley kitchen

There’s a cute little galley kitchen. Nice enough size. No pantry though, so we’ll have to use up some cabinet space for the pantry.

dining room

Dining room with cute woodwork to keep it from looking so plain.

Stage Two:

decorating family room

The beginning of making this room into a comfortable family room. The love seat and chairs were donated from a good friend of mine. Then we hit Ashley Furniture in Columbia. Remember when Hurricane Ike came through and we had so much damage? Well, it hammered Ashely Furniture too. They are clearing out all their showroom furniture so they can replace their ruined carpets. Bad for them, good for us. So we picked up end tables, coffee tables, and a dining room table. For cheap. Which was good because I don’t want to toss a bunch of money into this apartment.

coffee tables

Aren’t these cute? I don’t know if you can tell on your monitors, but they are a loden green color. The top flips over to make it either an ottoman, or a coffee table. They can also be used for extra seating when we have the gaggle of males over to feed them.

dining room table

I also love this dinette set. It’s one of those taller tables so we can sit at it and look outside over the railing on the balcony. Comfortable padded seats. Cute little drawers in it to keep the placemats. Oh, okay, let’s get a closeup of it. I really do like it!

Dining table closeup

It has an oak? table top with a mahogany layer around the edge. Really pretty. (the need for mahogany will be explained in a future post…)

I know it all looks a bit plain right now, but I’m working on it. We’re going to use photography on the walls. Some framed. Some on those foam boards. Possibly a gallery wrapped canvas or two.

This has been so much fun picking out things for the apartment. I’ve lived in the same house for over 20 years. It’s really fun to start from scratch and put a place together. I heart The Love Nest. :love: Stage 3…more decorating.. soon to come!

mary October 23, 2008 at 6:58 am

What fun! It looks really nice, kacey. Can’t wait to see it with all your beautiful photos hung…
xoxo,
Mary

Sandra October 23, 2008 at 7:12 am

Well, you’ve certainly got my attention! I LOVE H&G network. So, I’ll be enjoying your decorating.

Debra October 23, 2008 at 7:30 am

Love the dining table/chairs! Cute! Are you doing a photo of the month for October? Or, are you letting this month slide so you can decorate your love nest? Can’t say I blame you — looks like fun!

Gayle October 23, 2008 at 7:43 am

Your love nest is so cute! I love that you’re showing us the decorating process!

Treasia/TruckersWife October 23, 2008 at 9:05 am

I love what it looks like so far. I think it would be fun to decorate a new place and know it is almost like a vacation retreat. Looking forward to seeing more.

Becky October 23, 2008 at 10:13 am

Don’t know if you are interested, but when I live in central MO, I had a friend than owned a really wonderful antique shop in Columbia. Friends Together, at 4038 E. Broadway, 442-6759. It’s been a few years since I have been back, and don’t know if Carolyn is still part of the 4 women who own the shop. They generally have an open house right before Thanksgiving. I sure enjoyed the atmosphere, friendliness, and how they displayed their wares.

iPost October 23, 2008 at 10:32 am

I love shopping for new stuff! *Green with envy* And i also love the tall table with stools! :love:

Tori Lennox October 23, 2008 at 11:01 am

Decorating a new place is always so much fun! That bar height table is really cute!

Kacey October 23, 2008 at 11:13 am

Becky, I’ll have to check that out! Thanks!!

TSannie October 23, 2008 at 12:55 pm

It’s looking better all the time! What a cute ~love nest~. Be sure to continue calling it that around your boys. :mrgreen:

Kate October 23, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Love it! Especially the ideas for the artwork and the gallery prints. It will be beautiful.

Suzanne October 23, 2008 at 6:35 pm

That is all so neat! What a cool table! I love the love nest!