Splashes of Color

by Kay~Kacey on 10/25/2008

I bet you thought that this was going to be a post with photos of the gorgeous autumn foliage, didn’t you? Surprise! I’m still talking about The Love Nest.

I’m finally getting some splashes of color added to the apartment:

color added to family room

Looking at this photo, I can see I have too much plain and need to add some pattern to this area. I’m sure photos on the wall will help that some. Still not feeling the love for the big, bulky TV in the corner though…

But look! Lamps, the final frontier! I finally have some lamps!! I love a light room!

front door rug

I added a brick red mat by the front door so we won’t be tracking icky stuff all over our beige carpet. This city uses this horrible cinder/chemical black stuff to melt the ice and snow. Oh, and they only plow if it’s over 4 inches of snow. Even if it’s an icy 4 inches. I don’t much like winters here. Didn’t when I was in college here, don’t like them now.

But, as usual, I digressed. Back to the apartment decorating…

extra bedroom

This is all I’ve done to the extra bedroom. Isn’t it lovely?? Well, I do love that bentwood rocker. I’ve rocked many a baby to sleep in the rocker. Why do we have two bedrooms you ask? Good question! Because that’s the apartment that became available. I’ll make this bedroom into an office/study/den thingie. (technical decorating term, I’m sure.)

bedroom

Then there is the bedroom. Yes, that’s still just the blow up mattress…and it’s so not very comfortable. We’re still waiting on the Sleep Number Bed to get delivered. Yes, those are packing boxes for bedtables. That’s it for this room so far :shock:

But, for the record, I’m having a blast decorating this place. I can’t wait to go through my bazillions of photos and pick out some to blow up for the walls. Oh, and I got a bathroom wastebasket. Must get a photo of that I guess. :lol:

I’m thinking the falls colors are influencing my decorating decisions though, since I’ve never gone with sages, loden green, or brick red colors before. What colors do you tend to use when you decorate?

Kate October 25, 2008 at 5:51 am

I knew it would be a decorating post as soon as I saw the post title. I love the red, Kacey. And some wall art will go a long way, too. They have some good deals at art.com if you want to add to your photo collection. And mpix.com does a great job with photos.

I tend to go with russets, greens, browns and neutrals for decorating. The master bedroom here already had wallpaper on it and it’s not bad, really. And the trim is light blue. Can you tell I’ve had lots of coffee already?

:coffee2:

midwestmom October 25, 2008 at 8:04 am

You’re doing a great job! I love the colorful pillows. I also love that table with the fold-down side thingies (another technical term).

Deb October 25, 2008 at 10:00 am

we did the blow up mattress last year. does it make you sweat a lot? it did me. is that a fire extinguisher in the corner of the bedroom? i love your nightstand…what, no bucket?
the living room looks comfy and delish…yeah, I’m not grovin the tv in the corner….hmmm..
and they don’t plow untless you have over 4 inches of snow??? what??? that’s crazy! of course, they don’t plow down here because we don’t have plows…ha!

Michelle Willingham October 25, 2008 at 1:40 pm

It’s adorable, Kacey. What fun to almost “start over” again. :bath:

Katharina October 25, 2008 at 2:56 pm

I love the reds and greens. Always have. I am doing a bedroom/studio in those colors.

Suzanne October 25, 2008 at 6:09 pm

I *love* fall colors! Those are my favorite color combinations for decorating!

melody is slurping life October 25, 2008 at 10:44 pm

I really like the pops of red. Good base you’re beginning with…come help me organize my chaos. :crazy2:

MAPAGE October 25, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Remember getting “colorized” in the late 1980’s early 1990’s. Well ,sometimes I think I hit the target of “High winter”. the bright colors of winter and the vibrant colors of summer. My “office/guest bedroom ” is red, white, and blue. Very much USA themed. The new room is green with red, maroon, and peach pillows on Hunter green silp-covered love seats.

Colors that really turn my stomach are those with yellow bases…orange, yellow, rust, sage green, etc.
If I wear anything in those colors I turn that color…very loverly!!!

I think we are really programed with a color code from birth, therefore, there is something to the “colorizing” thing.

Moms At Work October 27, 2008 at 9:42 am

Never in a million years would I decorate with shades of pink. I’m a nature girl (think watery blues, earth tones and mossy green).

But I am drooling over that guest room quilt! It’s beautiful.