Decorating Decisions

by Kay~Kacey on 10/26/2008

I don’t know how most of you make your decorating decisions…but mine seem to be based on emotions. No fancy interior designer here! (well, that may become painfully obvious as I go along with the decorating expedition of mine…)

Here is my cute little galley kitchen.

galley kitchen

Notice the color coordination of the sage towels to my family room. But more importantly, see the black countertop appliances? The black toaster? The black coffee maker? See, at home our countertop appliances are a mix up of white, black, chrome and a cute red kitchenaide mixer. But here, since I got them all at once, I settled on black.

WHY did I settle on black? Well for a perfectly logical reason…

black teapot

My best friend gave me this darling :love: little black teapot for an apartment warming present! So, logically, I had to decorate the kitchen around it! :lol:

How about you? Have you ever decorated a room around one much loved object?

Kate October 26, 2008 at 6:05 am

Of course! It’s how some decorators do it, too. I have a friend who makes a good living doing such. All my appliances were black at the horse farm. I love your cute little kitchen!

Have a nice Sunday, Kacey. :typing:

Amy October 26, 2008 at 8:37 am

You’re inspiring me … seriously!

I have been known to decorate around a work of art. I love taking a piece of art I cherish and figuring out the paint, accessories, etc. around it rather than just picking random art to kind of go with the room.

Deb October 26, 2008 at 8:43 am

Oh, absolutely! I decorated my kitchen based on the color scheme of a gift my girlfrend purchased for someone else that I managed to covet!…it was a little mouse that housed parmesan cheese…cute and cream, sage green and eggplant.
Your tea pot was your “inspiration point”. Yeah, I watch a lot of HGTV…I am a closet decorator!
Love the look of the love nest!

Amy A October 26, 2008 at 10:58 am

That is a fabulous teapot! I wanna know where she got it!

I’m repainting my kitchen based on this decorative wine box. And since it’s an open floor plan, by default, I’m decorating the whole house around this wine box…

michelle of bleeding espresso October 26, 2008 at 11:18 am

Love your kitchen and that teapot! I once decorated my kitchen around a ceramic planter that I used as as utensil holder–it had a big tomato painted on it, so I used lots of red in the kitchen :)

Suzanne October 26, 2008 at 11:26 am

They’re always talking about using “inspiration pieces” on HGTV! It’s a great idea!

Tori Lennox October 26, 2008 at 12:01 pm

I was going to say what Suzanne said about “inspiration pieces”. They use the term all the time on HGTV!

Katharina October 26, 2008 at 10:19 pm

I love the teapot! Is it cast iron? Alton Brown (Food Network) collects tea pots similar to that one.

Green, red, black, it’s all good!

Moms At Work October 27, 2008 at 9:27 am

I love that teapot! Inspiration pieces: My bedroom is designed around a black and white framed photos of my honeymoon, my living room around a huge oil on canvas of a sailboat and my nursery around a swatch of gingham fabric :)

Chere October 30, 2008 at 9:50 am

I normally decorate around a piece of fabric. That seems to be my starting point. Sometimes it’s furniture for a family room or kitchen and the bedding for the bedrooms. Love your cute teapot. I missed where you are decorating? I have been gone from blogging for a while and look forward to getting up to date.