Waste Not Want Not

by Kay~Kacey on 11/11/2008

Nothing ticks me off more than wasteful packaging on products. Or the packaging that you almost need a chainsaw to finally get it open. :angry:

For instance. My Oil of Olay face lotion. Love the stuff. Hate the packaging. Hate how they sell it. See all this wasteful plastic and cardboard they put around their product? Hello?? I’m sure they do it to make it look like it’s worth it’s hefty $17 price tag…and to prevent theft off the shelves. But here has to be a better way.

oil of olay packaging

Really, besides all the waste here, I have to take a scissors to the packaging to stab through and claw my way to get this package open. If I didn’t like the stuff so much, I’d move right on to something more environmentally friendly.

Not to mention…see that bottle? The amount you get is in a small cylinder in there. So, there is all that wasted plastic around it to make it look like you’re getting more. Companies need to get a grip on this packaging mess.

Did you see that Amazon is making a push to get their suppliers to have “frustration free” packaging? Good for Amazon!

Our county now has recycling pick up. They take almost everything except plastic grocery bags. It’s great. We have a lot more recycling these days than trash. Since we don’t have to sort it, it’s easy, easy. I find myself thinking about the waste in our house more and more. Maybe because I’m getting older and looking more at what we’re doing to our planet, and thinking about what I’m kind of earth I’m passing on to my kids, and their kids. I’m thinking of having a “recycle only” trash can upstairs that we can take down and put in the recycling bin once a week. We’re more likely to just pitch something in the trash upstairs rather than haul it down to the garage and put it in the recycling bin.

How about you? What do you buy that is packaged wastefully and drives you nuts? :crazy2: What is the craziest, maddeningest (is TOO a word) way that something is packaged? Okay, CD’s come to mind. What else?

Jacque November 11, 2008 at 8:19 am

I pink puffy heart the recycle bin that you no longer have to sort. We too find we have many many more recyclabels than regular garbage. Of course we haul our bags and bags of plastic bags back to the grocery store. It’s amazing how many you accumulate. We have bought some of the reusable grocery bags, but inevitably they get left at home!

I hate anything that comes in sealed plastic containers that you must take your life in your hands to get open. I don’t know how elderly or disabled people can get into half the stuff they buy! Hopefully manufacturers will catch up to peoples’ mounting frustration with packaging!

Mental P Mama November 11, 2008 at 8:32 am

I cannot stand those industrial strength plastic boxes. But I love all that Olay stuff;)

Starwoodgal November 11, 2008 at 9:42 am

Well – I don’t buy anything that comes in enlarged packaging anymore. Just a personal vow I’ve made to not support ripping us off under the Pay More, Get Less montra. Good work on the packaging study. Applause to you!

Gayle November 11, 2008 at 10:00 am

I totally agree with you! My kids are getting older now, so they don’t really want any toys for Christmas, but in years past all of the plastic packaging for toys was horrible. It’s impossible to get into without risking cutting yourself and the packaging is way bigger than necessary.

Treasia/TruckersWife November 11, 2008 at 10:05 am

Anything that comes in that hard plastic casing ticks me off like crazy. There has been more than one time that I have had to buy a car charger, because the cell is completely dead, and then spent another 30 minutes in the car with car keys in hand trying to pry the sucker open and get out the precious charger. And it’s not like they cost an arm and leg either. Maybe $15.00 and so why all the frustration of opening the darn thing. :angry:

Ok, I feel better now. :grin:

Deb November 11, 2008 at 10:54 am

Doesn’t it just bug you that you cannot open the things you purchase when you get them home? with a bigger push for “green”, I believe we will see improvements. You can always write to Oil of Olay….who knows? You just might receive a free coupon for their product???

Amy A November 11, 2008 at 11:07 am

Every room in our house has some sort of recycling receptacle. I love our curbside recycling. We have about a half-can of trash each week and some weeks have to set recycling aside because our bin is so full.

The worst packaging is the hard-plastic shrink-wrapped things. Like the 8×10 encasement for a 1x.5 memory card.

Amy A November 11, 2008 at 11:10 am

Oh, and on the plastic grocery bags? Keep 4-6 canvas bags in your car so you always have them at the ready. There’s some places where stores are starting to charge for using their plastic bags, so it’s really better to just carry your own. Those RWA canvas conference totes are a good one (hmmm, maybe next year’s sponsor will think to give us a mini-grocery store-type bag for a tote so we can reuse it?)

Tori Lennox November 11, 2008 at 1:13 pm

I hate those plastic things that are impossible to open. I recently bought a USB cable and felt like jumping up and down on it until I discovered it had a little escape hatch in the back. What a surprise! It still wasn’t the easiest to open even then, but at least I didn’t have to break out the scissors, steak knives or chainsaw to open it.

We don’t technically have recycling where we live, but one of the businesses here in town now has several big dumpster type deals to collect plastic and cardboard products. So we take a lot of stuff up there now.

Kate November 11, 2008 at 6:13 pm

I need my penknife to get into those CD wrappers. They’re crazy. But it’s not like they’re a ‘waste’ of wrapping. It’s those things I purchase where the actual item is half the size of the packaging that I can’t stand.

And CEREAL!!! I can’t open the plastic of some of them. I can open the box ok, but inside there’s a plastic bag where the cereal sits and I have such a difficult time of it!!!

Kacey November 11, 2008 at 7:46 pm

Kate!! You are SO right on the cereal plastic bags!! What’s up with that?? Why are they SO hard to open? Jerkface cereal manufacturers. :cursing:

annbb/TSannie November 11, 2008 at 11:50 pm

My mother in law was know to place difficult medicine bottles on the floor and then proceed to beat the crap out of then with a hammer. I do think she had a point! :rofl:

Sandra November 13, 2008 at 10:24 am

Boy, have you hit a hot spot with me! I HATE that heavy plastic packaging that so many things come in now that I have to use my heavy kitchen shears on!

And, while we’re at it, I bought an OTC cold remedy last week that I wanted to check the dosage on, and COULD NOT read the directions in the TINY print, even with my glasses on!

Well, since there are so many of us baby boomers, I assume some of this will get better, because as we age the LOUD whining will hopefully get the attention of the manufacturers!