Milk Glass Antique Finds

by Kay~Kacey on 11/18/2008

So, you know how we were going antiquing to find bed tables or something to use for a TV stand? Well, instead I found some pieces of milk glass that I just HAD to have.

milk glass buttons and bows

The ruffly one is, I think, a Fenton Glass Buttons and Bows (or maybe Hazel Atlas). I heart it. Lots.

Digressing slightly here… Mary of Little Red House has lots of milk glass that I lust after. Have you seen this milk glass on her blog, or this milk glass in her flickr stream? Lovely.

milk glass basket

Then I had to have this darling milk glass basket to put my jewelry in at night at The Love Nest. Had to have it.

So the story of this milk glass piece…

SuperGuy and I were antiquing and I saw this piece. I liked it and saw it had a crack in it so it was being sold “as is” for $3.50. I felt so sorry for it! I mean, who was going to buy this adorable milk glass basket with a crack in it when there were so many non cracked pieces to be bought? It broke my heart. :wink:

cracked milk glass

See the crack? Oh, you can hardly see it? Me neither. Someone did an excellent job of gluing this piece back together.

Anyway, so I mentioned to SuperGuy we should start a “save pile” for the things we find. (at most antique malls they will let you take an item up to the counter and they hold it for you while you continue shopping.) But we wandered on and didn’t pick up the cracked milk glass piece.

At the end of our shopping, I said, “Let’s go back and pick up that cracked milk glass basket.” So we go back and it’s gone! SuperGuy was like “are you SURE this was where it was.” “I’m SURE.” I was strangely upset, but glad that the sad little cracked basket had found a home. Still, I thought it was weird that someone else had nabbed the same piece I wanted in this huge antique mall.

So, SuperGuy goes to buy the stuff while I kind of wander around like I usually do as he checks out…I walk up behind him…and there he is, buying the cracked milk basket to surprise me. I didn’t know whether to smack him or kiss him. :roll:

Now, since I like to use my antiquing finds in unusual ways…I’m using them in the bathroom at The Love Nest.

milk glass in the bathroom

Deb November 18, 2008 at 6:51 am

That is something my husband would do, Kacey! we have two of a dying breed.

Jacque Ruch November 18, 2008 at 7:22 am

I am certain this decorating moment far surpasses the kitty litter TV stand!

Suzanne November 18, 2008 at 7:35 am

Love it! Love the milk glass, love Fenton. West Virginia glass rules!

iPost November 18, 2008 at 7:37 am

I have a ton of milk glass from my grandmother packed away in my crawl space! I love it too, but I don’t have anywhere to display it! I use blue glass in my bathroom. I have a tall spaghetti holder for my paper cups and a shorter threaded jar for my toothbrushes. Of course I don’t put the lid on!

Mental P Mama November 18, 2008 at 8:07 am

Awwwwwwwwwww. Now I have The Love Boat song going on again.

Melissa Marsh November 18, 2008 at 10:43 am

My mother used to have an entire set of milk glass dishes. I think she eventually sold them, but they were very pretty.

So did SuperGuy find a t.v. stand?

Tori Lennox November 18, 2008 at 11:07 am

I don’t have any milk glass, but I love to find new uses for old things, too. I have an old lead glass (I’m probably poisoning myself :crazy2: ) candy dish with a lid that I keep cotton balls in.

And I have an old lead glass napkin holder on my desk that holds mail and notepads, etc.

Amy A November 18, 2008 at 1:13 pm

LOL! When I saw that first photo, I thought, “That would look great in my bathroom to hold toothbrushes!” GMTA, I guess.

Milk glass is bee-you-ti-ful. And SuperGuy should be kissed for being so thoughtful.

Uh, did you guys find a tv stand? I suppose if you didn’t you could just sit in the bath and look at your beautiful milk glass instead…

Debra November 18, 2008 at 4:04 pm

I can relate to feeling sympathtic toward inanimate objects. I feel incredibly sad driving past unbought pumpkins at Halloween and trees at Christmas. It is such a lonely sight to see them alone after the holiday. Why didn’t someone find them worthy of purchase?? I always pick the underdog…the unchosen. When picking for teams as a child, I always chose the one boy or girl that no one else wanted on their team. I guess that’s why I ended up in the human resources profession. I love helping employees.

Your milkglass is beautiful. I have several antique pieces that were handed down to me by my grandmothers and their parents. They are invaluable to me and I made my daughter promise to keep them in the family. I am not familiar with antiques, but I know from my grandparents that some of the pieces are depression glass, carnival glass, cut glass, and vaseline glass. What they are matters not when compared to where they come from. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love your precious finds!

mary November 18, 2008 at 4:55 pm

OOOOOOO, MILK GLASS ENVY!!!

Love them, Kacey!
xoxo,
Mary

vodkamom November 18, 2008 at 6:25 pm

I would SO have snatched up the mug! I love the milk glass – probably because my mother had such a lovely collection.

annbb/TSannie November 18, 2008 at 9:42 pm

Lovely! Did you get them in Columbia? There’s Itchy’s that used to be good, don’t know about it anymore, and always the Ice Chalet…sometimes good, sometimes not. Love to go ‘tiquing! Your milk glass finds are perfection for the love nest!

Gayle November 19, 2008 at 9:28 pm

Wow, SuperGuy is a sweet guy, too!